Sax on the Web Forum banner

Handmade in Wherever: who really makes the saxophones you buy? (article link)

9K views 87 replies 31 participants last post by  olhonker 
#1 ·
#61 ·
I can find a gently used, near new condition, Taiwan tenor for around $1500. The cost of the uberhaul, or Stohrer overhaul or any other of these high end overhauls is around the same price. So the question is does the horn you have, that you think needs one of these overhauls, going to be better than that like new Taiwan tenor you can buy for the same price. No many. The alternative is to learn to repair your own horns and a world of cheap horns is open to you.
If I am a person selling high cost overhaul, I have to keep pushing the myth that these Taiwan or Chinese horns are not worth repairing. Thus you must get an over priced horn so that when it needs repair its a smaller portion of the value.

#63 ·
The majority of people buying horns for $250 are parents of band students. More than 90% are going to quit playing age 14. They then sell the horn for half its cost on craigslist. That parent takes it to a tech who tells them its junk and they need a chinese made horn with a Yamaha advantage or Selmer name on it for $1500. Because they charge $1500 for an overhaul. When really the horn needs a $50 adjustment, because the first kid didn't come close to wearing out the pads, because he didn't practice and that's why he quit.

#64 ·
When really the horn needs a $50 adjustment, because the first kid didn't come close to wearing out the pads, because he didn't practice and that's why he quit.
Problem is, that cheap horn isn't going to hold that $50 adjustment for long (especially in a kid's hands). So it ends up needing to go go the tech every few months, and besides the $50 per trip, it's a waste of time and a pain in the *** to deal with.

#72 ·
Yeah.

No doubt.

Bashing Cannonball is pretty easy when they have that nodes/magic/stone thing going on.

"People like to bash Cannonball on SOTW and praise other Taiwan made brands when they are all very similar."

these people need to be bashed

they cannot be bashed enough

shame on them

#70 ·
It's good to see all of this concern for the ways in which this issue affects beginning students and the parents who buy instruments for them. But I would say that, now more than ever, there is no valid excuse for being a poorly informed consumer.

There is so much information out there for the taking, literally at your fingertips. Any parent willing to put a few minutes of their time into researching the best instrument for their price range is going to be able to find that info with very little effort. Happens on SOTW all the time, doesn't it? A parent (or late bloomer) pops in to ask advice about buying a first horn, and they get lots of great suggestions. Anyone who doesn't take the time to do a little research and just buys the cheapest Chinese horn they can find on ebay deserves what they get.

Is that harsh? I don't think so. It's just the way the world works. People who actually put some thought and some effort into the things they do tend to get better results.

#71 ·
Is that harsh? I don't think so. It's just the way the world works.
Harsh? Yes.

Do the informed need to just let the ripoff artists win? No. Nor should we assume that just because information is "out there", that it is equally and easily accessible to everyone.

"If you won't stand for something, you'll likely lie down for anything."

#73 ·
My father always told me not to justify anything wrong by using phrases like: “ They all do it” or “ They are all at it” ...especially when not everyone does it.

There should be a sense of dignity which should inspire anyone to do the right thing “ per se”.

#76 ·
My tech tells me that he does often work on Taiwanese horn and even on Chinese if the people want to spend more than the horn had originally costed.

He also told me for at least 10 years they have got better and better. The last horn that I could bend with my bare hands while playing was the G# or a Bundy II.

#81 ·
Before Cannonballs had really hit the market I talked to the owner. It was in the late 90's. I was buying my first new pro tenor. I discussed with him about selling me one directly and he was almost going to do it. Glad he didn't as those weren't that good. He described to me how they did some work on the necks. When they showed up in the stores I always would look at the necks as I remembered that conversation. I would frequently see a little grinding marks inside.

#83 ·
My Accountant imported the first five into the U.K
They were the same horn as the Arbiter Pro Sound saxophone, that was a budget horn on sale here in the U.K ...every detail the same (other than a letter C inside the bell brace instead of the letter A for Arbiter ) Cannonball's top flight horn in Black nickel plate or gold plate.
The necks had been milled out at the mouthpiece end ...not by much, probably had some conical tool to do it with.
Many F.O.T.I would have you believe they had also been sprinkled with fairy dust "even though they look exactly the same it doesn't mean they are the same horn !"
Yeah right !

#84 ·
A fan gifted me an Arbiter soprano (dual-neck type) a few years ago. I have since donated it to a local high school's music program. From what I knew of that brand (he bought it new in the UK) it was made by the same Taiwanese manufacturer that made Jupiter saxophones . . . something like JHS? Anyway, a more-than-decent player.

I've tried a few Cannonballs over the years - almost bought a CB curved soprano several years ago - a new one at the CB dealer's shop in Lancaster, CA. The price was right, the horn was a gorgeous polished black with the stones as key-touches. But as good as it played, I already had a very nice Yanagisawa SC902 that played even better, so I passed on that opportunity.

I also played a CB Vintage alto at NAMM one year. A fine saxophone, but like I've posted several times before, their marketing system made it generally unavailable to me when it finally came to market. I would have had to seek it out and make a real effort to find one to play before buying. I have several great altos, so I did not seek out the CB Vintage model. DAVE

#86 ·
I just purchased a new KESSLER CUSTOM, HAND MADE MATTE FINISH PRO ALTO, from Kesslers', the case says made in Taiwan but there are no markings to show where it was actually made. I'm just curious? Anyone out there know, I'd like to know, Bruce Brennan
Why not just ask Kessler & Son, who would have the best information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.