Handmade in Wherever: who really makes the saxophones you buy? (article link) - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handmade in Wherever: who really makes the saxophones you buy? (article link)

Before Cannonballs had really hit the market I talked to the owner. It was in the late 90's. I was buying my first new pro tenor. I discussed with him about selling me one directly and he was almost going to do it. Glad he didn't as those weren't that good. He described to me how they did some work on the necks. When they showed up in the stores I always would look at the necks as I remembered that conversation. I would frequently see a little grinding marks inside.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handmade in Wherever: who really makes the saxophones you buy? (article link)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Harsh? Yes.

Do the informed need to just let the ripoff artists win? No. Nor should we assume that just because information is "out there", that it is equally and easily accessible to everyone.

"If you won't stand for something, you'll likely lie down for anything."
    Hey, I stand for lots of things. I can save the whales, ban the bomb, stop the war with the best of 'em. But what are we standing for here? Are we launching a public education program on the perils of poorly made saxophones? Lobbying for government regulation of saxophone marketing?

Information is not equally accessible to everyone, because how could it be? But it is more accessible now than it has ever been. "The informed" seem more than willing to share their knowledge and advice--we see it on this forum all the time. But you do have to go online and ask.

From what I understand, about 90% of Americans are online every day. I would guess that most of the others probably could go online via a friend's phone or computer or their school or the public library, if they wanted to. But they have to want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxcop View Post
    Before Cannonballs had really hit the market I talked to the owner. It was in the late 90's. I was buying my first new pro tenor. I discussed with him about selling me one directly and he was almost going to do it. Glad he didn't as those weren't that good. He described to me how they did some work on the necks. When they showed up in the stores I always would look at the necks as I remembered that conversation. I would frequently see a little grinding marks inside.
    My Accountant imported the first five into the U.K
    They were the same horn as the Arbiter Pro Sound saxophone, that was a budget horn on sale here in the U.K ...every detail the same (other than a letter C inside the bell brace instead of the letter A for Arbiter ) Cannonball's top flight horn in Black nickel plate or gold plate.
    The necks had been milled out at the mouthpiece end ...not by much, probably had some conical tool to do it with.
    Many F.O.T.I would have you believe they had also been sprinkled with fairy dust "even though they look exactly the same it doesn't mean they are the same horn !"
    Yeah right !

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fan gifted me an Arbiter soprano (dual-neck type) a few years ago. I have since donated it to a local high school's music program. From what I knew of that brand (he bought it new in the UK) it was made by the same Taiwanese manufacturer that made Jupiter saxophones . . . something like JHS? Anyway, a more-than-decent player.

I've tried a few Cannonballs over the years - almost bought a CB curved soprano several years ago - a new one at the CB dealer's shop in Lancaster, CA. The price was right, the horn was a gorgeous polished black with the stones as key-touches. But as good as it played, I already had a very nice Yanagisawa SC902 that played even better, so I passed on that opportunity.

I also played a CB Vintage alto at NAMM one year. A fine saxophone, but like I've posted several times before, their marketing system made it generally unavailable to me when it finally came to market. I would have had to seek it out and make a real effort to find one to play before buying. I have several great altos, so I did not seek out the CB Vintage model. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just purchased a new KESSLER CUSTOM, HAND MADE MATTE FINISH PRO ALTO, from Kesslers', the case says made in Taiwan but there are no markings to show where it was actually made. I'm just curious? Anyone out there know, I'd like to know, Bruce Brennan

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olhonker View Post
    I just purchased a new KESSLER CUSTOM, HAND MADE MATTE FINISH PRO ALTO, from Kesslers', the case says made in Taiwan but there are no markings to show where it was actually made. I'm just curious? Anyone out there know, I'd like to know, Bruce Brennan
    Why not just ask Kessler & Son, who would have the best information.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post
    To be fair, if you dig for the information, you can find an account of Cannonball's international manufacturing operations on the company's website: http://www.cannonballmusic.com/aboutus.php#about. But they still have "Salt Lake City" inscribed in giant letters on the bells of the horns.
    Exactly, hit the about us button on their website and find "25 Employees in the Salt Lake City, Utah Facility and hundreds more commissioned in other countries, including 2 Cannonball factories in Taiwan"

Who is Cannonball leads to "While managing instrument production, she enjoys frequent communication with our partners in Taiwan, Germany and China"

This took me all of 45 seconds to find...The webpage doesn't open with "Proudly made in Taiwan", maybe it should...but not to difficult to find out.

Unfortunately, we are surrounded with sometimes misleading advertising. Buyer beware...
    " Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you that you can't listen to other players. Live Cleanly...Do right...You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we own to ourselves." - John Coltrane

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, That would be too easy ! Best, Bruce

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5