Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone tried the D'Addario Select Jazz TENOR mouthpiece

88K views 265 replies 74 participants last post by  reedsburn62 
#1 ·
I have the clarinet and alto mouthpieces from D'Addario and I've been really pleased with them - good intonation, even tone over the range of the intrument (especially the clarinet piece). Now I see they have a tenor piece out (since November apparently) but not much information on what it's modeled on.

Has anyone tried it ? Interested in any comparisons - I currently play a phil-tone refaced new vintage-series slant link HR piece which I like a lot.

#2 ·
I'm not particularly impressed by the D'Addario Select Jazz as compared to old Rico Select Jazz, which I presume they are modeled on.
The box of DSJ 3S I opened all felt stiffer than old RSJ 3S. So as the 2S and 2H to their counterparts, but I haven't gone over the whole box yet.
Tone-wise I found them similar, at least for those that played - maybe I had bad luck but only 1 out of the box of 5 DSJs played for me.

#6 · (Edited)
I've been impressed by the quality of the D'Addario Select Jazz alto mouthpiece: I mean... for the price they ask they are great!

If the the new Select Jazz tenor mouthpiece is "modeled" after the Jeff Coffin's personal Freddie Gregory Mark IV... it can be really interesting, at that price!!!

(The other mouthpiece you could find... which was "modeled" after the Freddie Gregory Mark IV was the Navarro "Bahia"... both metal and hard rubber).

#7 ·
I have the clarinet and alto mouthpieces from D'Addario and I've been really pleased with them - good intonation, even tone over the range of the intrument (especially the clarinet piece). Now I see they have a tenor piece out (since November apparently) but not much information on what it's modeled on.
I also have both the clarinet and alto sax D'Addario mouthpieces. I like the sound of each, but the alto piece annoys me because it's too tight for standard-size neck corks. It compresses the cork too much and impairs the fit of my other mouthpieces. (There is a lot of discussion of this issue in the forum.) I hope the tenor piece has been sized more carefully.

#8 ·
We have a pass around of the new tenor piece starting soon in the UK, so I'm sure one of us will post our impressions sooner or later.
I bought an alto version when they came out but with the tightness on the cork and the tameness of the sound I moved it on after a while.
However, I heard Will Vinson playing his in the Pizza Express Jazz in London and was blown away by his playing and his sound.
Fingers crossed...

#20 ·
I don't think Freddie will mind since he "stepped on a rainbow" and passed in 2014

#33 ·
Wow! I just got a delivery of two of the Select Jazz Tenor mouthpieces and I have to say that D'Addario hit it out of the ballpark with this model. I got a 7 (.105) and a 8 (.110). I put a Rigotti Gold 2 1/2 strong on the 8 and it played great! I was surprised because i usually have to get used to a mouthpiece a bit. The 8 just was slammin'. Great all round mouthpiece. Very powerful when pushed but not overly bright like I was afraid it would be when I saw the pics of the baffle. Kinda sits in the middle of the bright dark tone range and has a nice fat core to the tone. I tried the 7 with a different 2 1/2 strong Rigotti thinking it would be too soft (I ran out of 3 reeds.....) The 2 1/2 strong played just as well on the .105 as the other 2 1/2 strong played on the .110. it was like these were the perfect reeds for these pieces. I'm a bit shocked at how well they play and how comfortable they feel for me. I need to get a review up of these. Hats off to Jeff Coffin for being involved in this! Jeez.........I have to go play some more and work on a review...........Wow.............

#35 ·
I asked about the facing length of these pieces. The 7 has a 24MM facing and the 8 has a 25MM facing length. That explains why the 2 1/2 Strong Rigotti reed felt great on both tip openings. The shorter facing curve of 24MM makes the reeds feel a bit harder because they have to bend to the shorter curve..........

#37 ·
#38 ·
I received mine (6 and 7) on Wednesday but alas I'm still not able to play. Maybe next week. I'm a metal guy but endorse D'Addario so I wanted to try these for students and possible alternative piece for myself. Sucks to have two nice mouthpieces sitting there waiting to be played. Ouch factor downstairs, getting better though.

#43 ·
Thanks for that review man. Actually thanks a LOT. ;) From the recording it looks like it can get a good degree of edge if you want to push it and really mellow playing soft. ME LIKEY :) :)

#42 ·
I just got a 6 from D'Addario last week, (I usually play a 95-97 tip, even have an old Dukoff stubby at 90 I like) I played it for an hour at home, and I found it quite interesting. It had great articulation, lots of power, and easy to play all over the horn, reminded me of a Bob Berg type vibe he used to get or Mintzer, and Mintzer played a Gregory for a long time. I was not very impressed with the alto pieces, couldn't get enough sound from them compared to my Meyers or Klums with the same tip opening, so the tenor piece is a great improvement. I'm going to post a video and review on my website soon.

www.marshallmcdonald.com

#62 ·
According to the post, modifications were made to facing, window, side rail and tip rail shapes, including facing and baffle changes. Add to it that the blank is slightly larger overall, with changes to the beak, side profiles, and the bore modifications make these changes rather numerous and significant. I made my point pretty clearly and don't really want to analyze, nit pick or project what if's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.