Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone tried the D'Addario Select Jazz TENOR mouthpiece

88K views 265 replies 74 participants last post by  reedsburn62 
#1 ·
I have the clarinet and alto mouthpieces from D'Addario and I've been really pleased with them - good intonation, even tone over the range of the intrument (especially the clarinet piece). Now I see they have a tenor piece out (since November apparently) but not much information on what it's modeled on.

Has anyone tried it ? Interested in any comparisons - I currently play a phil-tone refaced new vintage-series slant link HR piece which I like a lot.

#255 ·
Thanks for all of your replies. I guess I have to stick with my high baffle mpc for the gigs I do. I literally did bust a gut years back (double hernia) at the time playing with 2 loud guitarists and keys in a band. The RPC hard rubber piece I use was the best I have found through the years ( I hated the guardalas I had , they were always too thin and shrill for me) . I guess the best way is to just try one but I don't think it will work for the bands I have to play in.

#257 ·
I have been playing the limited edition marble ones on both alto and tenor for going on 7 months now. These have become my main pieces. D'Addario doesn't list them as having any changes over the standard piece, but this marble edition is definitely an easier blow and able to get much more volume and projection. The tone is easier to shape as well compared to the standard piece. It doesn't look like they are for sale new from D'Addario or WWBW anymore. Whatever they did with this marble version, they knocked it out of the park. If you like the standard piece, I would suggest trying to track down one of these and give it a try.

#258 ·
In a previous post, I stated an unfavourable review for these pieces. But something made me try again and this time I bought a 6 - the other one was a 7 - and there's a big difference for me. The 6 is a keeper. I'm using a Legere signature and the reed and mpc combo pair really nice with my YTS 62 III. To be honest, I'll continue experimenting with other reeds, ordered a Legere Classic for interest sake, but the Signature and D'Arrio combo works very well and is default for me.

#259 ·
I just got a 6 yesterday. It's a very good piece. Free blowing, plays easy top to bottom and intonation is good. I would compare it to a Vandoren HR V16 T6 in play-ability but a little different in sound. I have a V16 on the way so should be interesting to hear how they compare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.