Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone tried the D'Addario Select Jazz TENOR mouthpiece

88K views 265 replies 74 participants last post by  reedsburn62 
#1 ·
I have the clarinet and alto mouthpieces from D'Addario and I've been really pleased with them - good intonation, even tone over the range of the intrument (especially the clarinet piece). Now I see they have a tenor piece out (since November apparently) but not much information on what it's modeled on.

Has anyone tried it ? Interested in any comparisons - I currently play a phil-tone refaced new vintage-series slant link HR piece which I like a lot.

#173 ·
Sax Alley is selling these for $139. A few years ago, I bought a new V16 T8 for about $130. Not much difference in price.

I think the DSJ piece is killin'! Compared to the comments and a few videos I've checked out, it's darker than I expected. Projection is on par with my V16. When pushed, the highs on the V16 sound "brittle", kind of an angry buzz; not so with the DSJ. There's a richness to the sound I can't get with the V16. Also.......Holy sub-tones, Batman. Love it! I'm with with reedsburn62 on this, the DSJ plays better on all fronts compared to the V16, and I really like my V16. I was always interested in a Freddie Gregory tenor mpc, but I couldn't afford one. Even though this is not a true Gregory, trying this out satisfied my curiosity. More so, since I think D'Addario hit this one out of the park.

Later

Joel

#180 ·
Hi,

let me tell you why I bought one.
I got the 6, 7 and 8 for 2 weeks to try from a local shop here.
They all got their own "character", I thought about buying the 7 and 8, but then only kept the 7.

I have been told before I tried them they would be super loud, bright.
Well, that's not what I think. It can be loud, but I love the way it "keeps the frequencies together".
Compared to the Links and Link copies I know the difference is that with the Links (maybe that's personal and due to the way I play) you get fat lows and silky highs with a gap in the middle.
For me, that's not the case with the D'Addario. I have highs and lows, but I have lots of "compressed" mids, and I can easily manage to play classical stuff with my students and on the other hand be super loud when necessary.
One more point I like is how it feels in my mouth, as it is not as big as some of the Links I own. Plus you can virtually put on any brand and strengh of reed you like.
I really give it a thumbs up!

Cheers, Mugger

#183 ·
I thought about buying the 7 and 8, but then only kept the 7.
What did you not like about the 8?

I heard a clip of a 6 and I thought it was way too bright sounding.
The 7 may be too bright sounding as well for me. I blow bright.

#182 ·
I want to say thanks for all the very focused responses to my question. Based upon Sax Alley's pricing the point about cost difference is moot. Reedsburn62 put his finger on what I am feeling about the V16-T7 but couldn't quite figure out how to say-feeling boxed in when I was reaching for something but couldn't quite get there-maybe it's me as a player and not the mouthpiece (quite likely)-but I was thinking of trying a T8 or a Java to see if made a difference-now the DJS is definitely in the mix. I know that what works for you is not the way it will work for me but all the information that I have gotten from SOTW has certainly helped me make better choices along the way! Cheers!

#186 ·
Hi all! I have the 7 and 8 on trial now and I prefer the 8 because it feels freer and is easier to play for me. The piece sits at the very end of the cork on the neck, i guess its the smaller chamber compared to my RS Berkeley Chris Potter piece that is the cause. The D'addario plays with ease and have good projection and a compact sound and the frequencies is well balanced as some people say about these. It has fewer overtones compared to the RS Berkely wich has a very rich sound. The D'addario is a great mpc for the money.
Here is a very short clip https://www.dropbox.com/s/49az3f1mr0do47q/daddario8m.mp3?dl=0
Compared to the RS Berkely https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymtma493cm9zmn6/potter.mp3?dl=0

#187 ·
Unfortunately the dropbox link to the DSJ does not work. I get an expired message.
I can hear the Potter clip fine though. Sounds good.

I have the DSJ myself so I know how it sounds played by me but I am always interested how others sound on it and how
it compares to other pieces.

#195 ·
I'm playing mine still and am very happy and content with it. I have two 6's, one is my touring backup. I just played another Lt. Dan Band show at Fort Meade in Maryland, outdoor show last night, 80 degrees, 3K audience. Blends in well with our now three horn section (Tom "Bones" Malone just joined!) as well as ripping out a solo on Natural Women. This is the most versatile piece I've ever played and I have played and owned many. The fact that it outplays many boutique mouthpieces, and is very affordable should be cause for the saxophone community to celebrate. Whatever, my 2 pennies as a professional touring artist.

#197 ·
After having a few weeks with this piece and 10+ gigs with it now, I have to say I am very impressed and happy. It has taken some time having to step down on reed strength, but the tone, color, and versatility for me at least are just amazing. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea as no mouthpiece can be, but I honestly feel D'addario has knocked it out of the park with this piece, especially for the price compared to its capability and craftsmanship.

#201 ·
I finally got one in size 7. I was going to pass (resist the GAS!) but the opinions here, the fact that I know one of the guys responsible for the milling setup and what a perfectionist he is, and a WWBW coupon pushed me over the edge. It works better for me than the V16 T7 that I had been playing-more low end, plays better at low volume, and is more reed friendly. I play mostly Rigotti Gold 2-1/2 but any 2-1/2 seems to play for me from RSJ filed to Vandoren ZZ to Rico orange box. (Not to start trouble but I do find a real difference between RSJ and the same strength DSJ-the DSJ do play but they're not my cup of tea compared to the RSJ). I've gigged with it several times and my band mates noticed a difference to the good. I don't find it bright compared to my MacSax Aura but a bit brighter than the V16. I'm happy with it, would recommend it as a good all around mouthpiece for a weekend warrior, and worth the price.

#202 ·
The shop here typically stock 8s & 9s. I don't play such a big opening on low baffle pieces, but one shop keeper offered to get me a smaller tip next time he re-ordered. He called last month and said he was placing his order and asked what I wanted. I told him and 6 & 7. He said if I wanted a 6 I would have to commit to buy it as no one else would. I did & he got it for me. He sent it with a Selmer 2 screw lig, which was a touch too big. I fiddled around a got it fitted with an old bent up FL Pure Brass.

I've been giving it a play using Rigotti Gold, Hemke & D'Addario Select Jazz reeds. Like others - I am impressed. It took a while to adjust to the facing curve, but when I finally found the sweet spot it opened up wonderfully. The balance through the horn is outstanding, and this is one of the easiest pieces to altissimo I have played. It responds well to different airstreams and voicings, and I can get anything from a mellow "cello" tone to a nasty raunch.

I played it through two sets earlier today, mostly blues and 40s-50s standards and it was a very comfortable session. This could very well be one of those "desert island" pieces.

#204 ·
I was pleasantly surprised! My setup is a Navarro Bop Boy 7* and I have been looking for a backup to it for sometime now. Since it was also built off of a Gregory like design, I thought I would give it a shot.

They play very well, but don?t possess as much subtle body characteristics as many pieces. It?s not super bright, but can play pretty forcefully. That being said, it also can?t play super dark without a lot of work and energy. But for the price they are pretty rad!

#205 ·
Several + members have bought this mpc only to have it up for sale with only a mere play test.

They have all stated that it is a great mpc...?????
If it is great, then why are they selling?
How great is it then?

What am I missing?
Not as good as what they own?.. or, that it sucks in comparison?

I'd especially like to hear from those who have done so.

The most obvious conclusion is that this mpc is just so-so = not so good

ie) better than an off the shelf modern tone edge, but not comparable to a _____ (insert fav designer mpc here)

#210 ·
I have just sold one. But I still dare to declare that I think it is a great mouthpiece. Especially for the price. In fact it was a close contender to my
main mouthpieces. I decided to try it after I had read and heard the nice reviews. The Select Jazz did not win the contest however. Why? I guess I am already a little spoiled. My 20TD already does everything the Select Jazz can do and then some. It is hard to beat a winning team. That said I would not hesitate to use
the Select Jazz as my only mouthpiece on a gig. I also could have decided to keep it as a back up. But hey, I already got a drawer full of backups.

Regarding the tone I am with Roger Nordling. The Select jazz is a little less complex. On the other hand it has a beautiful deep and lush low end that is great for subtoning. It played easier than the Links I have had. And it is powerful and can cut through when pushed.

#206 ·
I didn't buy one but I did try one at Sax Alley a while back. For me it was just okay, finished better than the current Links IMO and similar in quality to the Vandoren HR pieces but more expensive. It had a nice focus but I felt it was a little too bright for me. I don't know if the typical cycle has been much different with this than other pieces. The fact that it's a bit more affordable and available than many of the other boutique pieces that have gotten the buzz lately may just mean that more folks took a flyer on one and so there are more showing up for sale used. Likewise I suspect most folks feel some pressure to say good things about products since they don't want to look foolish for buying a $200 mouthpiece that they play for 15 minutes, admit it isn't all that great, and sell for $125. Not to mention the blow back you get from expressing an opinion against the prevailing wind on the forum.

#207 ·
Mine was free as a D'Addario artist. I bought a backup with a healthy discount so I have almost no $ invested in two of these in a size 7. I love these, they have served me well in every musical situation. Retail price is far better than a boutique mouthpiece which IMHO this is. My 2 pennies from a touring professional and university educator. I would not play these as a D'Addario artist if they did not work for me beyond what I was playing, which was a USA Florida Link refaced by Brian Powell. (i have the original ligature and cap as well, the mouthpiece, lig and cap is near pristine, hope to retire on the fool that will pay for nostalgia).

#208 ·
Your Link can not be a good one If the daddario out plays it! My honest opinion about how these pieces compares to links (STM) is clear. Not the same complexity and do not play as big as a Nice Link. But hey! Thats just My opinion.

#212 ·
I have tried 3 #7 ones and 1 #6. IMO even though these mouthpieces are being made by a big company my experience from playing 4 different Select Jazz Pieces they had much of the same type of experience of playing handmade pieces of the same model and surprised that there was less consistency a/b, piece to piece in how they played and the throat/chamber...very obvious hand worked...a very good thing. All the pieces played nice but each really played with it's own personality and character. The ones I decided not to keep were not bad playing mouthpieces but I found one particular 7 that has the sweet spot for me for what I am after in a mouthpiece. Great bold clear projecting tone throughout the ranges and excellent in the low and high ends. Hopefully I will stick with this #7 that really plays great for me...today

#213 ·
I still have the two that I reviewed. You don't hear from the people that bought them and kept them because they are happy so it might seem like everyone is selling them but I don't think this is the case. I mean, at this price point and the way these are marketed I wouldn't be surprised if they have sold thousands by now.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.