Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone tried the D'Addario Select Jazz TENOR mouthpiece

88K views 265 replies 74 participants last post by  reedsburn62 
#1 ·
I have the clarinet and alto mouthpieces from D'Addario and I've been really pleased with them - good intonation, even tone over the range of the intrument (especially the clarinet piece). Now I see they have a tenor piece out (since November apparently) but not much information on what it's modeled on.

Has anyone tried it ? Interested in any comparisons - I currently play a phil-tone refaced new vintage-series slant link HR piece which I like a lot.

#67 ·
Well Benny we can keep the personal insults off here if you want, or bring it on as musefound said, it wouldn't be SOTW without someone complaining would it?

The sound was a mix between the camera mic (a Rode shotgun) and a AKG 414 - I blended the sound so it gave an accurate account of what you hear in my room, it's a Vlog episode for YouTube to show people my first impressions of the mouthpiece. I'll just not bother with SOTW from now on...

#69 ·
I've tried em alto too, not my cup of tea because I think a plastic piece with a 200$ pricetag should bring a lot more to the table, I felt locked in on it. Compared to my Aizen SO i it's lacks the overall quality, the Aizen should cost the triple. Recording was more than okay and Dan is a great guy, keep it up!

#76 ·
I'm a bit conflicted now on which tip I prefer now. It was the 8 on the first day but then yesterday I played the 7 (.105) all day and loved it. I found that I really liked the Rigotti 2 1/2 Strong reeds on the 7 because of the shorter facing curve. On the 8 the same reeds felt softer and more free blowing. I just ordered some Rigotti 3's to try on the 8 also to see how those do. On the 7 I found the tone rich and leaning to the dark side on softer to medium volumes. It could be pushed pretty darn loud and can get brighter but it is still in the middle of the bright-dark spectrum in my opinion. Will work on a review today.........

#81 ·
Well, I played the piece last week and really found it interesting, today I played it a bit more, and really think it is quite fantastic. It made me want to play fast, because the chamber type and speed of the air through the piece was really wonderful. It reminded my of a Mintzer type sound or Berg sound years ago.
D'Addario sent me a 6, 100 tip opening, equals an Otto Link 7, I usually play 6*, 95 tip openings, but this is quite easy to play from the low Bb to the altissimo.

I'm going to make a second video and make a more formal review write-up on my website. This is just a sample of what I've found, honestly, I think it's slammin'.

This is simply a short video:

http://marshallmcdonald.com/news/review-new-daddario-tenor-jazz-select-mouthpiece/

#87 ·
Well, I just got mine today, a 7 tip. At first look, it looks great, finished really nicely. The facing is excellent. I don't see any need to touch anything up. I put on a Rico/D'Addario Jazz select 2H and gave it a go. It's a keeper. It's very easy to blow and allows for staccato easily. This mouthpiece makes the sound of my horn (Viking M58S) very balanced. No one frequency sticks out, it's just perfectly balanced. Good harmonic content. I've been looking for this sound for a while. I was initially worried that the baffle was too low into the chamber, the chamber was too big etc. It's not the case here. It just sounds great. When you lay into it it just gets louder but not harsh. When you play softly, it's still balanced and not tubby. This is the first new mouthpiece that I am keeping in a very long time and I look forward to getting this on a gig. Try one!!

#96 ·
I tried one today at the local music store and compared to my phil-tone faced Link Vintage series like this one

http://www.wwbw.com/Otto-Link-Vintage-Series-Hard-Rubber-Tenor-Saxophone-Mouthpiece-583770.wwbw

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2009/08/new-vintage-slant-otto-link-tenor-mouthpiece/

I have to say I much prefer the philtone faced link - not that the D'Addario is bad - it played well enough, but it seemed a bit thin and buzzy compared to the link, which has much more depth to the sound, but without being bloated / tubby like a link tone edge can be. (I also preferred the link to a philtone solstice I had for a little while though the solstice was a bit fuller sounding than the D'Addario).

So having started the thread it's all been a bet of a let down (on the positive side I have extra appreciation for Phil's link).

#104 ·
Sacks - early Eastlake super 20 (all brass).

Steve, thanks - you're a much more experienced player than me and almost certainly right. However I'm really very happy with the PhilTone link and was trying the D'Addario more out of curiosity than a strong desire to change anything (and because I was so impressed by the clarinet mouthpiece, and to a lesser extend the alto piece). The PhilTone link was a "wow this is a keeper" in the first 30 seconds of playing it. Rather than invest time in a different (not necessarily better) mouthpiece I need to invest time into basic practice. I look forward to hearing your recordings of the D'Addario.

#107 ·
Finally was able to play the 6 and 7 for a very short time. Haven't played in 17 days so chops are down. The 6 worked best for me with a 3M unfiled jazz select reed. I'm an endorser so take that into account as well. This piece roars, big, can be bright, super easy to control, altissimo is crazy easy, nice core. Might be an all around piece for me. I'll be playing it on a Lt. Dan Band gig this weekend. Updates as I heal and can play more. Vandoren Optimum worked best out my selection of ligs, old Vandoren Master lig 2nd and Selmer Magnitone 3rd.

#108 ·
Steve, how is that review going, I am interested on yours thoughts on this mouthpiece. I have one and I like it. At first it seemed bright after playing for the last couple of years on a Link 4 **** which I had modified by Mark Spencer and it is darkish and resistant and the comparison to the Jazz Select Tenor was a big contrast at first, but the more I play it the more it sings. Hope to read and hear your review soon. Thanks

#115 ·
Finding a fitting ligature for the Select Jazz turned out to be a pain.
I have this drawer filled with old ligatures of all kinds and sizes including alto and tenor ligs.
None of these fit except for a Rovner band ligature. Unfortunately I am not a fan of Rovners.
I bought a new single screw (brass?) BG lig that seems to work alright. But I welcome better
recommendations. If there are.

By the way I like the tone I am getting and the low end is just wonderful.
As a Conn player I can already say the DSJ is a great match with a 10M.

#116 ·
The Vandoren Optimum fits. My rep contact at D'Addario said they will be making the Rico H to fit it. I have a Selmer Magnatone that fits. also the old Vandoren Master lig fits as well. I was surprised also about this but the piece feels and plays great, I've been on metal Links for some time and this feels as comfortable to me. I have to rip out a solo on Long Train Runnin' (two choruses g minor blues) and this piece delivers. Very even from bottom to altissimo, which is very easy. Very versatile, exactly what I need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.