Anyone tried the D'Addario Select Jazz TENOR mouthpiece - Page 7

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone tried the D'Addario Select Jazz TENOR mouthpiece

The Marc Jean Ligature fits the D'Addario Select Jazz tenor mouthpiece perfectly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member Sebastian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a customer bring one by about two weeks ago to have it modified. He liked the piece overall but was really bright to my ears after hearing him and also getting a chance to play it. For the price, this thing is really well made but we spent some time lowering the secondary baffle angle. It has a long flat baffle (why people call this a 'rollover' I'll never understand) that continues into a long curved lower baffle with a very tight squeeze near the throat area. Modifying the piece a little on the inside helped to dial back the EQ in the upper register, particularly in the palm keys. It's a good crossover piece, but anyone who is expecting it to be "like a Link" may not be happy.

Again, though, it was really well machined and someone looking for a loud piece could probably pick it up and use it right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very nice for R&B and old school R&R styles where cutting through is needed.
    Conn 10M #272XXX - Brilharts and others depending on the weather and the mood and the situation.
    Conn New Wonder #144XXX tenor - Otto Link Tone Master

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dha View Post
    The Marc Jean Ligature fits the D'Addario Select Jazz tenor mouthpiece perfectly.
    "Marc Jean" is a brand that has many models. Which model fits well?
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what model it is, unlacquered top two screw hard rubber version, Fits on my Ted Klum ResoTone, the Tonamax, the Otto Link Vintage series, Drake Stan Getz model and a bunch more that I can add to the list after I get home from work. I should add it is a little snug on the D'Addario Jazz Select but it does fit. I just don't know what the ligature model is. I should also add that I have had the mouthpiece only a few days and I do like it so far, it blended well in the big band section and tonight I am trying it in a small group situation. I find it has very nice highs and it is brighter than I am used to as I have been playing a Four Star Link and ToneMaster for some time now. Anyway I will try to find out the model.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    I had a customer bring one by about two weeks ago to have it modified. He liked the piece overall but was really bright to my ears after hearing him and also getting a chance to play it. For the price, this thing is really well made but we spent some time lowering the secondary baffle angle. It has a long flat baffle (why people call this a 'rollover' I'll never understand) that continues into a long curved lower baffle with a very tight squeeze near the throat area. Modifying the piece a little on the inside helped to dial back the EQ in the upper register, particularly in the palm keys. It's a good crossover piece, but anyone who is expecting it to be "like a Link" may not be happy.

Again, though, it was really well machined and someone looking for a loud piece could probably pick it up and use it right away.
    I call it a rollover if I look at the mouthpiece from the tip side and I see the baffle roll away from me as I tilt the mouthpiece tip down as I'm looking at it. I'll look at the Select Jazz again but they looked like rollover baffles to me. I'm not sure I have ever seen a truly flat baffle from tip to chamber. My Lamberson J7 might come close and I seem to remember a Soloist with a pretty straight baffle in the past. Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. The baffle is just a gentile curve that goes down pretty low in the throat. Hard to describe, but I've seen it before. I got the 110 version and find it pretty powerful and much like a Freddy Gregory piece I had but a bit more focused and with more highs. That said, I don't think this piece is over bright. It is quicker to respond in a general way than a Link and not thin sounding but not overly fat either. I have a good 127k Mark VI that really goes well with this piece. The combination really cuts in an acoustic situation but is also dry and dark enough to play ballads. Very articulate. A 'modern' piece but not like a Guardala or high baffle piece. Nice thing to have in the arsenal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know how the internals compare to a Vandoren Java? The descriptions I'm reading about sound like the two pieces might be similar internally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brightness can also depend on reeds. I'm playing the 6 with 3M unfiled jazz reeds. The broken in ones play bright, the harder ones play dark. I'm still loving this piece, that's says a lot for me as my creative voice is the soprano sax. Tenor has always been challenging finding a comfortable mouthpiece.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The D'Addario 7 tenor piece I played was quite nice ,it had a rich and powerful voice and played evenly over the range of the horn.
    I was interested in playing the new D'Addario as I once owned a rubber .105 Freddie Gregory mkiv , my Freddie Gregory piece was brighter and had a distinctive voice, a very high resolution tone quality I thought, it had a kind of glassy sheen, a highly polished surface to the sound I thought.
    I had wondered if somebody was going to copy Freddie's mk iv as I thought it was one of the great modern tenor pieces, but I don't think this D'Addario is that copy. The D'Addario is a very good piece in it's own right and it is good value for money but it didn't sound like my mkiv, but it may sound just like Jeff Coffin's mkiv.
    There are a couple of guys on the forum who collect Freddie Gregory mkiv pieces, it would be interesting to hear their impressions of the D'Addario, one of these collectors who lives in Spain told me that the piece I sold him was the darkest mkiv he had played, and it was brighter than the D'Addario 7 I played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    I call it a rollover if I look at the mouthpiece from the tip side and I see the baffle roll away from me as I tilt the mouthpiece tip down as I'm looking at it. I'll look at the Select Jazz again but they looked like rollover baffles to me. I'm not sure I have ever seen a truly flat baffle from tip to chamber. My Lamberson J7 might come close and I seem to remember a Soloist with a pretty straight baffle in the past. Steve
    Hey Steve,

If you put a flat file, razor or a level feeler gauge, the upper profile of the baffle is completely flat from front to back and side to side. The lower profile continues at a high angle and transitions into a very tight throat area that's hard to even get a little finger in. There are lots of pieces that have this feature including many Guardalas, Lebayles etc where it's very flat albeit less gradual than the Select mouthpiece.

I know Theo has his guide that's meant to be helpful but there are gaps in terms of understanding the many variations of baffles that exist. By his definition, a 'rollover' is a convexity behind the tip rail. Sometimes the whole upper baffle profile is convex which a lot of people and sometimes it's very short like some Links, Brilharts or Meyers. That being said, many of those same brands feature flat baffles.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a straight edge lays flat on the baffle near the tip, I would not call this a rollover even if it is curved convex somewhere downstream. In my records I call these "SB" which I think I copied from Lamberson designation. Short baffle or straight baffle.

Some call longer arched baffles rollovers. I think this just adds to the confusion. I reserve rollover to mean a curved baffle near the tip rail. But they can be short, medium or long. A long rollover is similar to a short arch in my system.

It is not easy to capture all the 3D aspects of baffles in a few words or measurements.

Distinguished SOTW member daigle65's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dha View Post
    Not sure what model it is, unlacquered top two screw hard rubber version, Fits on my Ted Klum ResoTone, the Tonamax..
    Marc inscribes the model number along with the serial number between the 2 wood rails. I have one that fits the TK ResoTone and it's a 760 model.
    " M'enfin ! " ....Gaston Lagaffe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MojoBari View Post
    If a straight edge lays flat on the baffle near the tip, I would not call this a rollover even if it is curved convex somewhere downstream. In my records I call these "SB" which I think I copied from Lamberson designation. Short baffle or straight baffle.

Some call longer arched baffles rollovers. I think this just adds to the confusion. I reserve rollover to mean a curved baffle near the tip rail. But they can be short, medium or long. A long rollover is similar to a short arch in my system.

It is not easy to capture all the 3D aspects of baffles in a few words or measurements.
    +1

People use this term way too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1

People use this term way too much.
    +1 on that analysis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D'Addario Select Jazz vs Vandoren Java in terms of internal design.....anyone in the know want to
    chime in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried simply looking for pictures on the good ol' www?

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Steve,

If you put a flat file, razor or a level feeler gauge, the upper profile of the baffle is completely flat from front to back and side to side. The lower profile continues at a high angle and transitions into a very tight throat area that's hard to even get a little finger in. There are lots of pieces that have this feature including many Guardalas, Lebayles etc where it's very flat albeit less gradual than the Select mouthpiece.

I know Theo has his guide that's meant to be helpful but there are gaps in terms of understanding the many variations of baffles that exist. By his definition, a 'rollover' is a convexity behind the tip rail. Sometimes the whole upper baffle profile is convex which a lot of people and sometimes it's very short like some Links, Brilharts or Meyers. That being said, many of those same brands feature flat baffles.

Quote Originally Posted by MojoBari View Post

I guess I'm going to have to change my descriptions then. If a baffle rolls over near the tip or further on, I have been calling it a rollover. because the baffle does rollover whether near the tip or later. I'm looking at the Select Jazz now and the baffle is a straight line at a downward angle from the tip for about an inch and then rolls over to a steeper decline into the chamber. I've had a Lamberson SB which I remember as having an edge on the end of the baffle so I wouldn't call that rolling over. I'll try to be more descriptive and aware of this in the future. thanks, Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacks Of Phones View Post
    Have you tried simply looking for pictures on the good ol' www?
    Of course I've seen tons of online pics and read several reviews. I have a Java but not a Select Jazz and am thinking the two pieces look similar in terms of baffle profile, chamber etc. I'm wondering if anyone has both pieces to compare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atonal View Post
    Of course I've seen tons of online pics and read several reviews. I have a Java but not a Select Jazz and am thinking the two pieces look similar in terms of baffle profile, chamber etc. I'm wondering if anyone has both pieces to compare.
    The Select has a higher more defined upper profile and a much tighter throat area where the lower baffle profile transitions into. I think the Java is a bit more spread overall and the Select is more focused. D'Addario released a great product for very little money that is a good crossover style mouthpiece suitable for a working player who has to play all the different bags in one night. Depending on what you're looking for, I think you'd prefer this over the Java.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast