Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone tried the D'Addario Select Jazz TENOR mouthpiece

Quote Originally Posted by clarnut View Post
    Any change to baffle, facing, bore, etc, can create very significant differences in how a piece plays.
    I think it's a question of degree and this could only be answered by playing the original mouthpiece and the D'Addario back to back.

Taking your statement to extremes, given the acknowledged inconsistencies in Links and modern Meyers this is like saying there is no such think as a link or a meyer because the smallest of changes can have profound effects. Also any refacing of a piece no matter how minor or simply corrective renders it a different piece - no longer should it be called a link or <insert other mouthpiece>. You could even argue that there is no such thing as <insert mouthpiece type> because the facing is different depending on which tip opening you choose.

However we know in practice that links have common characteristics that are not lost when they're refaced, and that within a line of mouthpieces changing tip opening still retains the basic feel / flavor of the piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the post, modifications were made to facing, window, side rail and tip rail shapes, including facing and baffle changes. Add to it that the blank is slightly larger overall, with changes to the beak, side profiles, and the bore modifications make these changes rather numerous and significant. I made my point pretty clearly and don't really want to analyze, nit pick or project what if's.

Distinguished SOTW member daigle65's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any issues with the tenon bore size with this model ?
    The alto piece had a very tight fit on the neck cork.
    " M'enfin ! " ....Gaston Lagaffe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forshaw View Post
    Er the sound is fine - I'd check your gear out this was recorded in my studio where I regularly submit recordings to professional studios without complaint.
    Sounds great.

Wouldn't be SOTW, if someone didn't have something to complain or disagree about...

Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daigle65 View Post
    Any issues with the tenon bore size with this model ?
    The alto piece had a very tight fit on the neck cork.
    No, not at all. I was scared of this as I had this complaint about the alto mouthpiece. Actually, when I put the tenor piece on I was cringing a bit expecting it to be really tight. It wasn't. It slid on just like the last piece I had on. I was very relieved!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Llareggub View Post
    Sorry but the sound is very bad. It sounds like wrong mic placement.
    I found the sound quite odd as well, and it's not my gear.
    I've never heard one of Dan's reviews, when I close my eyes I just can't stop thinking that I'm listening to Samwell Tarly talk although I would've pegged him as a bassoonist or tuba player, not a tenor player
    I guess I'm just not used to English accents....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Benny we can keep the personal insults off here if you want, or bring it on as musefound said, it wouldn't be SOTW without someone complaining would it?

The sound was a mix between the camera mic (a Rode shotgun) and a AKG 414 - I blended the sound so it gave an accurate account of what you hear in my room, it's a Vlog episode for YouTube to show people my first impressions of the mouthpiece. I'll just not bother with SOTW from now on...
    Learn saxophone the Cambridge way - Innovative and interesting video saxophone lessons from the heart of Cambridge

http://www.danforshaw.com Get four free lessons from me today http://lessons.cambridgesaxophone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Er the sound is fine - I'd check your gear out this was recorded in my studio where I regularly submit recordings to professional studios without complaint.
    Dear Dan, that "very bad" was a wrong selection of words and excessive. I certainly didnt mean to offend you in any way.
    Would it be possible whenever you have some time to do a recording with only the AKG? I guess that is what you send to the studios, right?
    Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried em alto too, not my cup of tea because I think a plastic piece with a 200$ pricetag should bring a lot more to the table, I felt locked in on it. Compared to my Aizen SO i it's lacks the overall quality, the Aizen should cost the triple. Recording was more than okay and Dan is a great guy, keep it up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be possible whenever you have some time to do a recording with only the AKG? I guess that is what you send to the studios, right?
    Why? Geez, it's just a mouthpiece review! How Dan sounds is not exactly how you'll sound anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Dan, that "very bad" was a wrong selection of words and excessive. I certainly didnt mean to offend you in any way.
    Thank you
    You should buy a mouthpiece and try it yourself at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me it sounds fine. It's a player getting used to a new piece of gear.
    Selmer Reference 36 tenor, Conn 10m, mouthpieces Phil tone Mosaic, Navarro Maestra HR 8, Theo Wanne Gaia HR 7*;
    Yanagisawa 902 soprano mouthpiece Navarro maestra 7;
    Yamaha alto 62 purple label, mouthpiece Ted Klum acoustimax 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Benny we can keep the personal insults off here if you want, or bring it on as musefound said, it wouldn't be SOTW without someone complaining would it?

The sound was a mix between the camera mic (a Rode shotgun) and a AKG 414 - I blended the sound so it gave an accurate account of what you hear in my room, it's a Vlog episode for YouTube to show people my first impressions of the mouthpiece. I'll just not bother with SOTW from now on...
    Just ignore the riffraff Dan. Don't let them keep you away. :-)

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Dan is certainly braver than I am to open a package, slap a reed on a mouthpiece and start playing all on video. Usually it takes me some time to sort out the best reed let alone just getting used to how the mouthpiece blows and getting comfortable on it........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no intention to insult anyone Dan so please accept my apologies and I'll keep my bizarre humour in check from now on.
    Regarding the sound, I listened to you play on a number of other reviews, and the sound is definitely different on the D'Addario review- I think it does neither the mouthpiece nor your playing justice.
    But, like anything in music, everyone hears things differently so if you're happy then you're happy and that's what matters.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit conflicted now on which tip I prefer now. It was the 8 on the first day but then yesterday I played the 7 (.105) all day and loved it. I found that I really liked the Rigotti 2 1/2 Strong reeds on the 7 because of the shorter facing curve. On the 8 the same reeds felt softer and more free blowing. I just ordered some Rigotti 3's to try on the 8 also to see how those do. On the 7 I found the tone rich and leaning to the dark side on softer to medium volumes. It could be pushed pretty darn loud and can get brighter but it is still in the middle of the bright-dark spectrum in my opinion. Will work on a review today.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    I'm a bit conflicted now on which tip I prefer now. It was the 8 on the first day but then yesterday I played the 7 (.105) all day and loved it. I found that I really liked the Rigotti 2 1/2 Strong reeds on the 7 because of the shorter facing curve. On the 8 the same reeds felt softer and more free blowing. I just ordered some Rigotti 3's to try on the 8 also to see how those do. On the 7 I found the tone rich and leaning to the dark side on softer to medium volumes. It could be pushed pretty darn loud and can get brighter but it is still in the middle of the bright-dark spectrum in my opinion. Will work on a review today.........
    Seeing this post, I think I'll wait till your review comes out before deciding between the 7 and the 8. Looking forward to reading it.

JL

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxfiend View Post
    Seeing this post, I think I'll wait till your review comes out before deciding between the 7 and the 8. Looking forward to reading it.

JL
    Well, I went to start working on the review but then got sidetracked and started doing a transcription instead. I'll try to get to the review tomorrow. Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Well, I went to start working on the review but then got sidetracked and started doing a transcription instead. I'll try to get to the review tomorrow. Steve
    No worries, they're on backorder at WWBW anyway!

JL

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxfiend View Post
    No worries, they're on backorder at WWBW anyway!
    JL
    Strange that - my local music store called me today to say they just got one in (and only ordered it a couple of days ago). Looking forward to heading down there on Saturday to compare to my phil toned Link (new vintage slant).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast