Sax on the Web Forum banner

Any opinions on the A505-LQ?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chicagotom 
#1 ·
I normally play a purple logo YAS-62 for alto, but would like a bar horn.

I found an A505-LQ on Facebook that is inexpensive ($150). Assuming the pads are good and it plays, I was thinking of picking it up.

I am unsure about the quality of these older horns and searching here and googling has not helped me understand the perceived quality of these instruments.

Does anyone have opinions on this model or advice for evaluating it (other than leak lights and play testing)?

Thanks,

Tom

#2 ·
No responses, so far . . . I tried to do an Internet search on the model you listed. No luck, even at their official web-site. I have owned an Antigua saxophone (a soprano) and a straight soprano in my closet now was most likely made by Antigua many years ago (a MarkVI soprano-clone).

The newer ones are decent, but the older ones? Who knows? The old one in my closet is decent although not to the level of the later model I owned (a Yanagisawa S991-clone). The fact that I couldn't find anything about the A505 tells me something about it.

By the way, the LQ, in Antigua-speak, means it was a lacquered-brass finish.

I guess the question then, is . . . can you afford the $150 to find out for yourself? DAVE

#4 ·
I bought the tenor version at a pawn shop for $250 and found it to have soft metal keys and poorly leveled tone holes. The soprano version is a totally different story. I was in need of a one piece soprano and my budget was $600. I took a chance on the Antigua Winds model made around 98.

Keep in mind I play with a heavy grip and that thing is my only soprano now. Never goes out of adjustment and plays beautifully. I paid $360. Unless the horn that it was CNC copied from, a Yani 900 becomes available when I have the bills it is a keeper.

Sorry can not speak to the alto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.