Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommendations to replace Samson Airline 77 wireless sax mic

Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    Thank you MMM. It looks, compact, but im wondering if it feels awkward ? I would be very interested in your testimony on this MMM.
    I've thought about this. It's bigger and clunkier than the Airline 77 transmitter I've used for years, but then the whole rig is much more powerful and sensitive. I suppose the clip-on part is a little clumsy at first, but you rapidly get used to it. It took me a little while to get used to clamping on the rim of the bell and positioning where I want it, then positioning the gooseneck for the mic. I think from the audience point of view, they don't see much. It kind of hides under the rim of the bell and sticks out to the side a bit so somebody looking at it straight on might see a sort of lump, but they'd also see the gooseneck. The one thing I needed to play with was positioning it so I could see the big lighted on-off-mute button clearly. I think I will experiment with putting it up higher on the rim of the bell - more straight in front of me than off to the side, if you can picture what I mean. I'm trying to say as much as I can to answer the question but that's about it. It doesn't feel awkward as much as just different from what I'm used to. I imagine after a few more gigs, I won't think about it much. At least I hope so. Good gear means you forget about it and play.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martin, at full charge, how long would you say the battery lasts, unmuted?

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FredCDobbs View Post
    Martin, at full charge, how long would you say the battery lasts, unmuted?
    I don't know. Also, I don't know if muted vs. unmuted makes any difference in the length of the charge. I can get through a 4-hour gig and still have charge left. I would guess that you could get through a 6-hour gig, although I couldn't anymore – I'm too old. I think Samson's marketing materials say 8 hours but I haven't tested that.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    I don't know. Also, I don't know if muted vs. unmuted makes any difference in the length of the charge. I can get through a 4-hour gig and still have charge left. I would guess that you could get through a 6-hour gig, although I couldn't anymore – I'm too old. I think Samson's marketing materials say 8 hours but I haven't tested that.
    Good info. Thanks. (And I'm right there with you on a 6 hour gig. Even the 4 hour ones are getting tough!)

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FredCDobbs View Post
    Good info. Thanks. (And I'm right there with you on a 6 hour gig. Even the 4 hour ones are getting tough!)
    Yeah, I can do 3 no problema. Those 9:00 to 1:00 gigs, that last set can be hard work ... unless the crowd is happening. If enough people are dancing, it's still fun and I'm a happy guy. But if no one's up and having a good time, it's a grind.

This Saturday night it's a one-off band for a 2-hour show from 6:00 to 8:00. And it's only about 20 minutes from home. Man, I love that. Gonna be a good time.

My line for those early gigs is: In bed by 10:00 ... and home by midnight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    I've thought about this. It's bigger and clunkier than the Airline 77 transmitter I've used for years, but then the whole rig is much more powerful and sensitive. I suppose the clip-on part is a little clumsy at first, but you rapidly get used to it. It took me a little while to get used to clamping on the rim of the bell and positioning where I want it, then positioning the gooseneck for the mic. I think from the audience point of view, they don't see much. It kind of hides under the rim of the bell and sticks out to the side a bit so somebody looking at it straight on might see a sort of lump, but they'd also see the gooseneck. The one thing I needed to play with was positioning it so I could see the big lighted on-off-mute button clearly. I think I will experiment with putting it up higher on the rim of the bell - more straight in front of me than off to the side, if you can picture what I mean. I'm trying to say as much as I can to answer the question but that's about it. It doesn't feel awkward as much as just different from what I'm used to. I imagine after a few more gigs, I won't think about it much. At least I hope so. Good gear means you forget about it and play.
    Very nice. MMM does it pick up any "thump" from the pads hitting the tone holes and the fingers hitting the keys at all ?

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    Very nice. MMM does it pick up any "thump" from the pads hitting the tone holes and the fingers hitting the keys at all ?
    I had the same question. I angled the gooseneck mic to be closer to the keys than the bell, to see if I could get some key noise in the mix but I really couldn't hear much or any. No thump from pads hitting tone holes or fingers hitting keys - my fingers stay on the keys. I didn't push the mic all the way to the keys, it still picked up sound from the bell. I'll experiment with that some more and post again (if I remember).

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At rehearsal last night, I put the mic as close to the keys as I could get it while still leaving room for my fingers. If I just fingered notes without putting any air through the horn, I could hear key noise. But the mic is so sensitive, when I started to play, I couldn't hear the key noise under the notes I was playing. That may have something to do with how loud I play. I'm an old rocker and used to playing at volumes to match guitar players. It's one reason I love my Martin. It's louder than other horns. At the volume I play at, I don't hear the AWX picking up any audible key noise. YMMV, especially if you're wanting to sound like Paul Desmond or Stan Getz.

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Forum Contributor 2010-2017 maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird duplicate post... Sorry.
    1926 Buescher Model 122 True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano
    1926 Buescher Model 120 True Tone Series III Silver Plated Straight Alto

1936 Buescher Model 139 Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone
    1938 Buescher Model 127 Aristocrat (Art Deco) Tenor

1938 Buescher Model 139 Aristocrat Gold Plated Baritone (some day)
    1947 Buescher Model B-11 400 (Top Hat & Cane) Bare Brass Tenor
    1949 Buescher Model B-7 400 (Top Hat & Cane) Silver Plated Alto
    1949 Buescher Model 140 Aristocrat (Big B) Alto
    1949 Buescher Model 156 Aristocrat (Big B) Gold Plated Tenor
    1970-something Yamaha Model YBS-61 Baritone
    2015 Vibrato A1S III Plastic Alto

Morgan, Ishimori, Strathon, and Theo Wanna Mouthpieces.

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I learn something new every day.

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Forum Contributor 2010-2017 maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After losing yet another Samson mic to failure of one component or another, I replaced one of my Samson wireless mics with an AMT Quantum 77.

Man, this is a whole 'nuther world. The sound quality is far better, it's frequency flexible, far more resistant to feedback, and just a whole lot better set up. I went for the 900MHz system (902 to 928 ISM band) that won't be subject to FCC auctioning it off, and I'm a lot happier camper with it over all.

It's 3x the price though, but it's also at least 3x the mic. For $300 or so, the Samson is really hard to beat. That said, for $900, the Quantum makes the Samson look like 2 tin cans and a string.

I'll still use my remaining Samson setup on gigs that I don't want to risk the more expensive system on, but I'm not planning on buying another Samson.

Just my $0.02.

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I learn something new every day.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maddenma View Post
    ... I replaced one of my Samson wireless mics with an AMT Quantum 77.
    Quantum 7, right?

Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Quantum 7.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copy of email I just sent to Samson Technologies

Subject: I need technical support for my Samson AWX wind instrument system

I have a very hard time getting the transmitter to sync with the receiver. The first few times I had to try again and again and finally it would sync. At last night’s gig, I could never get it to sync. I had to give up after about 20 minutes and set up a stand mic. I am not a happy camper.

This morning I read the couple of sentences in the manual very carefully and tried several times to follow the instructions to sync and I never could get it to sync.

I need someone to talk me through the sync procedure to determine if this thing works or not. If I can’t make it work, it’s useless to me and I will return it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMM, while you wait for an answer, I don’t own one but I just read their manual. It looks like sync happens over IR which needs line of sight, and may not work as well under direct sunlight. I just thought I’d mention it in case your missing this step. Good luck and keep us informed.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guto, thanks for thinking about this. I've tried it in lower light and holding the transmitter in line of sight several inches from the receiver. BTW, where did you find the manual online? I wasn't able to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked up the Concert 99 user manual pdf on their website. Didn’t find one for the AWX transmitter specifically.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figured as much.

Interestingly (frustratingly) the Concert 99 manual has more info than the 2 sentences in the manual that came with the AWX.

GROUP Button - Press and release button to cycle through the available groups. Press
    and hold button to scan for available channels within the selected group.

CHANNEL Button - Press and release to cycle through available channels within a
    group. Press and hold button to enter IR Set which is used to set the operating
    channel of the transmitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, the AMT requires that you sync the frequency is much the same way as what you're describing with the Samson -- unless you can use the power on default, which is what I tend to do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4