Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recommendations to replace Samson Airline 77 wireless sax mic

What I like about the Samson is the clip-on mic has the transmitter built in so I don't have to run a cord to the transmitter in my pocket or belt pack. Are there other models that do this? It's not clear from reading info on store sites. Also, it needs to be in legal bandwidth. I'm very confused about that. Is there a good place to read up on the issue and find out if a specific wireless system is legal in the US? Any help, links, or pointers are appreciated.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommendations to replace Samson Airline 77 wireless sax mic

That's a tough one...I have the Samson, and a Shure beta 98 with the belt-pack. I bought the Samson thinking I could use it, and have the Shure rig as a backup. I really tried to like the Samson - the transmitter on the mic is a brilliant idea. Too bad about the mic. I still use the Shure combo. I dropped and broke the Shure receiver once - I bought another one rather than use the Samson. I'm interested in what other folks are using for under $1,000 complete. As I recall the Samson was $299 and the Shure package was close to $500....

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Thanks Fader. That agrees with my research so far.

One of my concerns is about the fixed frequency the Samson uses. How do I find out what it is? And is it within the legal range? One reason I need to replace my many-years-old Samson is that it's in the nonlegal range. There are a few gigs all within the same general area where the county Sheriff cars use the same or nearby frequency. If they're outside the venue and talking on their radios, I get a huge blast of white noise through my speakers. It's disconcerting, ruins the performance, and may destroy my speakers. I need to make sure my wireless mic is on a frequency far away from whatever the Sheriff is on.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    What I like about the Samson is the clip-on mic has the transmitter built in so I don't have to run a cord to the transmitter in my pocket or belt pack. Are there other models that do this? It's not clear from reading info on store sites. Also, it needs to be in legal bandwidth. I'm very confused about that. Is there a good place to read up on the issue and find out if a specific wireless system is legal in the US? Any help, links, or pointers are appreciated.
    I clip my transmitter onto the bell keys guard of my horn. I wrap the wire around the bell.

Shure Beta 98
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPySDpoSiY

Formerly the Big Island, now on the road in an RV
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velcro works great, too for body packs.

I'd be leery of buying any wireless gear. The Feds keep selling off bandwidth.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to get away from the body pack for a better system, bbut youll get used to it. and can always velcro it.

I use the Shure GLXD-14 great great system

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    Yeah, that's my other concern.

Distinguished SOTW Member HeavyWeather77's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use an older AMT Roam Elite 1 that actually has the Samson transmitter/receiver, but nowadays AMT is making their own system and it seems to be pretty fantastic. They're NOT cheap, but they're the best wireless mics I've ever used by far in terms of both sound and user interface. I think the new units have rechargeable battery packs, which is great too.

SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I clip my transmitter onto the bell keys guard of my horn. I wrap the wire around the bell.
    Same here but with the older "hot" Shure WM98 with a multi-channel receiver. One 98 mounted on alto and one on tenor.

I bought two AMT mics several years ago to replace the 98's but the AMT mic clip stems were unsteady on the bell with fast horn movements on stage. So I went back to the WM98's that stay in place all the time. And I like the WM98 sound.

My first Shure wireless receiver only had one channel so I would get truckers and other interference at some gigs. Sometimes it was funny when it came over the PA. Never thought about the legal aspect.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like what I want is AMT Quantum7 Wireless Saxophone System, $869 at B&H photo. Sweetwater doesn't carry any AMT, and Guitar Center/Musicians Friend and Amazon don't list this system. I wonder why that is. Besides the price (!) it makes me hesitant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll occasionally use a Shure ULX system that has the separate body pack transmitter. What works for me is the Shure WA620 armband with a pouch. It velcros around the bell and I'll just wrap the extra wire around the transmitter before putting it in the pouch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

samson' airline 88 addresses many of these concerns

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/pro...airline88wind/

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Guto. "Coming soon" it says.

One thing I just read is "expected to be available in July 2017 at a price of $399.99."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post

Shure Beta 98
    I've clipped the body pack to the bell brace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post

Which makes me wonder why nobody has developed a system that just uses the WiFi frequency range? If you can't beat'em why not join'em. This technology now has plenty of bandwidth for this type of application and several channels can coexist in relatively close proximity without interference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually yes, mipro makes one and it's pretty affordable. I haven't tried them yet but I've been using their digital in ear monitor system (the 909) for a while now and it sounds fantastic. Operates in the 2.4ghz band and can be ordered as a double receiver in a half rack space. Looks very interesting.

Formerly the Big Island, now on the road in an RV
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.4 ghz band is getting pretty crowded..

Airline 88 looks awesome! I like the li-on battery and the infrared 'lock'. Maybe it will make at least the transmitter useful for other frequencies and other receivers. It also looks like you can change mics (like to a DPA 4099),
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if this Nady system is crap. It's small and simple and looks like it would be very easy to use. Clip the mic/transmitter on the horn, plug the 1/4 inch receiver into the board/mixer and you're good to go. But Nady gear has a poor reputation in other areas.
    Nady Micro MHT-16X UHF Wireless System for Horn and Woodwind Instruments with MRX-16 Receiver and MH-16 Transmitter
    https://www.amazon.com/Nady-Wireless...ireless+System

Forum Contributor 2017 BrianMitchellBrody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not buy Nady. Chinese made crap. You would be better of buying another 77. Save your money and buy the AMT wireless. Personally I love my 77 and have owned at least three over the last decade. The clip usually breaks off at some point but for $20 you can get a replacement direct from Samson.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    I wonder if this Nady system is crap. It's small and simple and looks like it would be very easy to use. Clip the mic/transmitter on the horn, plug the 1/4 inch receiver into the board/mixer and you're good to go. But Nady gear has a poor reputation in other areas.
    Nady Micro MHT-16X UHF Wireless System for Horn and Woodwind Instruments with MRX-16 Receiver and MH-16 Transmitter
    https://www.amazon.com/Nady-Wireless...ireless+System
    �We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.�
    ~Aristotle

Forum Contributor 2017 BrianMitchellBrody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read about the 88 and I will definitely be purchasing it when its stocked. I like the affordability and the customer service at Samson which I have found to be above the fray.
    �We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.�
    ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast