Sax on the Web Forum banner

New horn on the way!

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  DarrellMass 
#1 ·
Just bought a '66 King Cleveland (Acorn engraving) Serial No. C 232XXX that looks to be in pretty good shape. 95% original lacquer, with new upper pads. Hopefully, I'll get the hang of the LH pinky keys. Can't wait to hear this horn! I found a demo video on Youtube last night, of a similar model, and it was really something that my Vito isn't. It'll be fun to have the two to switch off on......if the Vito makes it out of its case, again!
Any do's and don'ts as far as mouthpiece matchups?

#2 ·
You should be fine playing most any medium large chambered mpcs.

#4 ·
You are welcome, Darrell.
Yeah, Kings are very mpc friendly.

I own an HN White '50s Cleveland tenor, with marching hat and crossed drumsticks engraving, all brass keys, big King sound.

Pretty slick key work- much better than the nickel plated key work of a later '70s 615, that was my 1st tenor.

#6 ·
Dont worry about the plating...its just myth, and trends. It does not speak to the quality of the horn.

...that being said, good luck with the mpc hunt. Every time I have bought a new horn I had to go on the mpc chase.

...being a mpc maker...well, that doesnt hurt my feelings : )

enjoy your new horn.

#7 ·
Dont worry about the plating...its just myth, and trends. It does not speak to the quality of the horn.

...that being said, good luck with the mpc hunt. Every time I have bought a new horn I had to go on the mpc chase.

...being a mpc maker...well, that doesnt hurt my feelings : )

enjoy your new horn.
Thanks very much, Phil. I've got my fingers and toes crossed that this one will be the vintage horn I was denied when I bought a CommIII a few months ago. What a toxic waste dump that horn was!
I'm hoping to avoid mouthpiece chasing, if I can......the budget being what it is. I have a 4C, a C*, an M5 and an M9. Hoping one of those will get me started.

#10 ·
#14 ·
Thanks Phil. I will have it looked at.

10mfan......That's what I was thinking, when I bought it.....it had to be, at the very least, "decent." You read good and bad, but one thing that seems pretty consistantly talked about is the good tone these horns have. I'll be disappointed if I don't get that, but otherwise I'm good with a functioning horn. Do you remember the date of manufacture of yours? Thanks for lending your opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.