Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sax Dakota tenors

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich Maraday 
#1 ·
Is anyone here playing these tenors and if so, how about some comments or reviews? Or, anyone who has tried one a NAMM or ... Wherever.... I understand they have a nice 2 week trial period and that almost no one returns them. But I don't see many comments here about them. Thanks.

#2 ·
I have been playing an SDT-1200 for a couple of years now. The sound is reminiscent of a vintage American horn and puts me in mind of a King (Zypher or Super 20). It would be very easy to get a Johnny Griffin vibe with one of these horns. The build is excellent and the ergonomics feel similar to a Selmer. The Gray Onyx finish is easily scratched by a neck strap with a metal hook and the finish on some of the more used keys is starting to wear after a couple years of light playing (this isn't my main horn). My only real complaint is the type of pads it comes with. I would reccomend using key clamps on it for awhile to get a very tight seal. Overall, I would put the horn on par with a Pro USA Selmer.

#3 ·
I have a raw bronze Sax Dakota tenor (SDT-XR 92), and I love it. I also own a Viking tenor, and also love it, for different reasons. I would say the build quality and ergonomics are very similar - they're both really well-made horns that feel solid, have superior ergonomics and tuning. I find the Viking a bit brighter, and the Sax Dakota a bit darker - I don't know how much of that is attributed to the Raw Bronze finish. I use the Sax Dakota more for combo / solo gigs, and the Viking more for big band gigs. I have owned a Mark VI, a Mark VII, and a Super 20 tenor in the past, and I'm enjoying these horns every bit as much (more, truthfully) than those horns. The VII was a straight-up dog. Love these new horns. GREAT deals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.