Two legendary horns compared!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Two legendary horns compared!

Decided to record my two vintage tenors today. We have the 1935 silver plate Conn Transitional/10m and the 1954 Selmer SBA! I recorded in logic and added some reverb, no eq. Tell me what you think! My main go to horn is the selmer. Why?...well i guess its because the tone feels more robust somewhat. I love both though but the Conn is for sale. My setup is a RS Berkeley Chris Potter mouthpiece and a Rico orange box 3.5.

The Conn!

https://soundcloud.com/roger-nordling/tenor-1

The Selmer!

https://soundcloud.com/roger-nordling/tenor-2
    https://soundcloud.com/roger-nordling
    Tenors: Selmer SBA 53xxx - TJ Signature Custom RAW XS - Soprano: Yanagisawa Elimona 880

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Two legendary horns compared!

Wow, enjoyed them both. I give a slight edge to the Conn, it seemed to have a slightly more focused tone. Nice demo, well done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough call, they both sound great. ...You mentioned you find the SBA more robust, listening to these recordings I find the Conn to have the edge, it seems more complex, more open.

If you do another shoot out try going for a blind test. It's amazing how the mind is influenced by the power of suggestion...I love my SBA...so my first thought is SBA...

The fact is they both sound great, we all have different senses of perception, the details we're talking about are pretty small.

Nice playing!
    " Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you that you can't listen to other players. Live Cleanly...Do right...You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we own to ourselves." - John Coltrane

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxman11 View Post
    Tough call, they both sound great. ...You mentioned you find the SBA more robust, listening to these recordings I find the Conn to have the edge, it seems more complex, more open.

If you do another shoot out try going for a blind test. It's amazing how the mind is influenced by the power of suggestion...I love my SBA...so my first thought is SBA...

The fact is they both sound great, we all have different senses of perception, the details we're talking about are pretty small.

Nice playing!
    Pretty hard to do a blind test when the player is the one holding the horn and a Conn and a Selmer feel nothing alike in the hands.
    This is my sound. There are some like it but this one is mine.
    My sound is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my sound is useless. Without my sound, I am useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice playing! Haven't got the opportunity to play many saxes, so this kind of side-by-side thing is interesting. I'd choose the Conn! Eyes closed, I can almost taste the metal. Selmer in comparison maybe too smooth/velvety. I can understand how someone would prefer that kind of sound, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post
    Pretty hard to do a blind test when the player is the one holding the horn and a Conn and a Selmer feel nothing alike in the hands.
    Sorry, I guess my post wasn't clear...I'm thinking from the listeners perspective. If myself, as a listener, has two sound clips to compare, I think I can give a more accurate, less bias opinion if I don't know what the brand the instruments are...this eliminate preconceived notions.
    " Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you that you can't listen to other players. Live Cleanly...Do right...You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we own to ourselves." - John Coltrane

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the sound of the Conn out of the two recordings. The Conn has a deeper, earthier tone to me.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxman11 View Post
    Sorry, I guess my post wasn't clear...I'm thinking from the listeners perspective. If myself, as a listener, has two sound clips to compare, I think I can give a more accurate, less bias opinion if I don't know what the brand the instruments are...this eliminate preconceived notions.
    Ah, I get your meaning.

I guess my instance would be refereed to as double blind. Which yeah, the horns would have to feel the same.

I liked the Conn more. It sounded louder and fuller. All things being equal the Selmer might just need a little more gain on the mic and we might have chosen it.
    This is my sound. There are some like it but this one is mine.
    My sound is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my sound is useless. Without my sound, I am useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both sounded good to me - and little difference between them. If anything, it sounded like you were a BIT more comfortable with a slightly more responsive Conn. Honestly, sitting in the audience sipping a Jack-on-the-rocks, I wouldn't care either way. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member Honeyboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Conn sounded fuller and more complex as well as louder to my ears.
    When facing our own mortality, all of a sudden those idols we valued so much are somehow put in a proper perspective and the truly valuable is revealed.
    11th Commandment: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's axe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far it is all Conn (even though I gave the Conn only a slight edge). I have not seen this much agreement on any SOTW thread. I suppose that means we will see a lot of Selmer votes rolling in soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Conn sounded overall better but there were certain ranges where the SBA had a color that really pleased me. Particularly in what I think may have been the G2-D3 range but that is only a quick guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Conn really does sound better (to my surprise actually)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, tough call. I have to do multiple takes. The SBA have that sophistication, and the Conn seems to sound more earthy. Not sure if that's the right description, but the Conn have a slight edge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys, thanks for your comments! It's interesting that all of you prefer the conn, I hope you play one yourself? Now I should throw in a Trevor James signature custom in the mix!
    Tenors: Selmer SBA 53xxx - TJ Signature Custom RAW XS - Soprano: Yanagisawa Elimona 880

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same reed? Boy the Conn sounds like it has more of a 'ring', which is what I think we all strive for for! Great playing man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DryMartini View Post
    Same reed? Boy the Conn sounds like it has more of a 'ring', which is what I think we all strive for for! Great playing man.
    Oh yes, same reed. The two recordings where done right after each other.

Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you sound great on both horns.
    Different vibes but both wonderful in their own way.
    Always a pleasure to hear you, my friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing for sure, they both sound like tenor saxophones. It has long been known that a Conn will sound different from a Selmer. What was the point of this exercise??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacks Of Phones View Post
    One thing for sure, they both sound like tenor saxophones. It has long been known that a Conn will sound different from a Selmer. What was the point of this exercise??
    Me and other nerds on this forum like to compare horns, listen for differences and discuss what we hear with others. This is my way contributing to the community. Obviously you does not seem to enjoy these exercises?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast