Sax on the Web Forum banner

Cleveland only, no other engraving.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Squeakie 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm looking at an old sax, and i'm having a bit of confusion about it..
It's engraved with Cleveland Musical Instr. Cleve, D? Very scratched, very hard to tell. It has no other marking about King, HN White, Standard, nothing that, only the bit I mentioned. Serial # 40,6??, the zero is much smaller than the other digits for some reason. LOW PITCH (written, not abbreviated as LP). I noticed the little side guard around the tone hole directly above the thumb does look like one's I've seen on elderly King's, it's got perfect circles cut into it as a decoration. This is a split bell alto.
I'm wondering if this would follow the serial number lists I've seen, putting it mid 1940's, or if it's different, since there is no mention at all of HN White.
It's in a bad state of neglect, and would be a project for sure. I basically want something to practice repadding on, but that has hope of sounding decent if i'm successful.
I've read many threads here that the White/Cleveland student line saxes can be very decent players when properly set up, but I'm not sure this falls into that category, as I said, there's not mention of HN White on it anywhere.
I don't have pictures to post as of yet, I was hoping someone could chime in on some basic info based on how it's stenciled, and if it's a stand alone horn, or if not all "Cleveland" were marked HN White. To me, if it is a White, but just didn't get the extra engraving for some reason, that would tip the scales in it' favor that it's decent enough to sink my time into. I've looked for hours, and haven't turned up one picture of a sax that only has Cleveland on it, they all have HN White also. I've finallly given up and am now asking here for some help!
I'm not expecting it to magically turn into a Zephyr, but I can't find a review of an instrument labeled with only Cleveland Muscial Instru. I'd be more comfortable if it was associated with White, or if someone had a review of these Cleveland labeled saxes. The tone hole guard design seems promising to me, making me think it came from the same plant as White/King came from, but i don't know hardly anything about vintage saxes, so for all I know, that style pierced with circles is a common design, i simply don't know. I know Conn's style is their own, so have learned to recognize their stencils by their pierced guard and the Mercedes cage, but i'm trying to learn more, and i've read that White/Cleveland saxes have good potential, they have a following and that many are pleased with their student grade saxes, that sound like they were built to a higher standard. I know not all agree, but many do.
So Cleveland is the only maker marks, but the key guard looks like a king. Any ideas????
Thanks for any help, Lisa

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a King alto from the era depicted in those saxpic photos. It is not marked LOW PITCH or LP, has a "Pat'd Pend" stamp just above the serial number which is stamped in a straight line on the back of the tube, which is just above where the bow attaches to the body. It is clearly marked H.N. White, etc.

By serial number, mine dates to 1925. King altos of that era had an odd upper-octave-lever placement (off to the left side) and the upper-octave vent was canted to the right a bit. Also, the G# vent was on the back of the tube. So, in addition to the design of the pad cups as pointed out by Bruce, look for the things I pointed out. I just played mine - no reso pads and it really speaks. DAVE

#4 ·
Hi, thanks for the replies. Going by the pics, it seems to have pointed key cups, it's a bit hard to tell. The octave key is lined up with the thumb rest button, but the vent is to the right from what i can tell.
I'm going to say though it isn't marked as a White, it is a White.
Lisa

#6 ·
I'm quite sure of the serial number. The last two digits are a debatable, as to whether it's an 84 or 34, but there is no C in the serial number at all. It's definitely 40,684 or 634, no letters.
I've kind of given up on it, as it's missing the neck, and upon advice from others, better projects can be had, though there's that part of me that still wants to "rescue" it.
Lisa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.