Sax on the Web Forum banner

Waiting for my Zephyr

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  WalterConn 
#1 ·
I stepped up and did it. I found one of those, "Poor Man's Super 20's".

Post WWII Zephyr, Tenor, 287xxx, triple hook, double socket neck, Super 20 body/bell brace, eyebrow guards, original lacquer and most of it there, few dents, lyre screw in place... No underslung silver neck or pretty extra pearls and elaborate engraving.

I've really enjoyed my old King Model, (Pre-Voll-Tru, series II). It also has a big tone and loves to scream or whisper as I please. I've been pleased by the resonant harmonics of the old King or whatever sends shivers up my spine.

For some reason I saw the EBay listing and just bought it. It has all of the features I have dreamed of. I haven't played it or even held it in my hands. It cost way more than any of my other horns. I've paid less for a car! (But, not a car as cool as a Zephyr unless you consider an '85 Mazda RX7 I got for $200. That was a blast.), (The Zephyr is more of a '57 Chevy.)

HERE IS MY QUESTION: What do I do until it arrives Friday?

Walter

See less See more
#4 ·
I just got mine of similar vintage (SN 269xxx) back from my tech. It wasn't really an overhaul as the pads weren't replaced (and didn't need to be). They're the Schmidt Gold pads and in really good shape.

But all the rods/tubes were cleaned all the cork/felts etc were replaced, a little work was done on the toneholes and it's playing like a monster once more.

My suggestion? Listen to some great tenor players and further hone your tone!

#5 ·
According to my gf, you should talk about your new Zephyr constantly until it arrives (and for some time afterward). That's apparently what I did while waiting for my sweet new alto Z, which showed up last week after a thorough cleaning and repadding. Either that, or play your Martin constantly, which I also did while waiting. Trust me, it's worth the wait!

#7 ·
I have absolutely been obcessing, this morning my GF, the best GF in the world, lined me up with a Jazz workshop Friday or it has become, Zephyrday, evening and a concert to see the MVP Jazz Quartet the day after.
A few months ago I bought a package, Chu alto, Buescher TT C mel and Holton 233 and said OK this is it.
OK, that was last year.
It's great to have a partner who appreciates that this obcession is better, (cheaper and less destructive), than being a drunk.
Good to live up to high expectations.

#12 ·
Greetings everybody,
My Zephyr has arrived. If I have ever blown off caution, this is another example.
This horn has been beaten, abused, rode hard and left sloppy. The neck has dents from one end to the other, somebody used pliers to try to straighten the outer neck tenon, the bow base plate is really smashed but the inner bow is basicly the right shape but poorly straightened. The pads look good, domed stainless resos but when I do a rubber glove leak test,, it won't hold the glove in even a second. It actually won't even pull the glove in the bell.
BUT:
This beaten up sax plays better that any horn I've ever seen. I played a newer era Super 20 in a shop last summer that was tight and this old Zephyr plays much better than it did. The loose action flies and notes flow across the octaves easily with the best tone I have ever been able to play.
This sax may be able to play itself.
I love this new beast, it lets go of so much emotion and I love the old ballads. She may be ugly to some but what character.
How can a sax that leaks so bad still let me whisper notes all the way down to the bottom?

I do still love my Chu altos but for a tenor, I've found a saxophone that is all MOJO!

#14 ·
Congrats Walter!
Enjoy!

My Zephyr tenors are within ' the most S20-like' sounding zone.
281xxx, 299xxx, 305xxx, 350xxx.

What's not to like, excepting for some the often maligned LH pinky table, that one gets used to anyway.
Silver soldered tone hole chimneys- yeah baby.

#17 ·
I have an older Zephyr tenor, , 209xxx, triple ring hook, double socket neck, and it is a thing of beauty. I got all kinds of GAS about altos, and now own a dozen, some great. But I have never wanted anything but that Zephyr tenor in 20 years. They have their own throaty voice and whisper or scream. My friend and tech Bill Street has told me not to let anyone else play it, they will want it. When yours is tightened up, it will really fly.

#18 ·
By the way, I have a '40 Zephyr alto, and it is fabulous. The G# table had the rollers too proud, and this made transitions at the bottom end difficult. So I epoxied pieces of mother of pearl to the top of the touch pieces to effectively lower the position of the rollers, and now that defect is gone. Zephyrs have such a great sound, and good intonation, too.

#19 ·
Hmm, "Waiting for My Zephyr"... sounds like the title for a song...

Congrats on your patience and acquisition! I played a shop owners immaculate Zephyr a couple of years ago. It beat an S20, a The Martin, and a Mark VI I had a chance to A/B with it. Very nice horns!

#21 · (Edited)
Walter:

I'm glad you're digging your Zephyr.

I just got my tenor back and it's a controlled monster. I'm still scratching my head that I've been able to get this good of a horn for my all in price with repairs :)

I did play a Keilwerth Tone King that I really liked, but that's about all I've played that I would think about trading for :)

#25 ·
I picked up a King Zephyr Alto at auction today. Sort of an impulse buy but I've been wanting a vintage Alto. I'm in a double whammy waiting situation as I also have a York C-Mel coming.

I also have a bid on a nice Chu Berry.. I may have a problem..
It is easy to pick up some great instruments on ebay. I like the C-mels too. These vintage pieces have such unique voices. Good luck on Chu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.