Build up of saliva

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Build up of saliva

I have a specific song I'm playing for a performance in which I have no good breaks. Due to this, saliva builds up in my mouth under my tongue (I do so so I don't get the gargling sound from having it go into the mouthpiece) and I feel like I'm drowning by the time I get I get into the melody. I barely have enough time to breathe, let alone swallow the saliva in my mouth, so I was wondering if there was a good way to prevent saliva from building up in the first place, even if it were to cause some bad dry mouth. (if necessary, I'm using a metal mouthpiece with a hardness 3 reed) Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Build up of saliva

no, there is no way to prevent salivation and please don’t get me wrong, but the only way to get rid of it is to suck it up... and I don’t mean to be funny here.

The archives have several examples of people whom have reported this. (use the archives BEFORE you start new threads, there is a lot there and no one is unique most things that happen to anyone have happened before to someone else)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...oo-much-saliva

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-Excess-Saliva

To some extent it is normal to have salivation when you put anything in the mouth, it is an automatic reaction, the body is tricked into believing that you are masticating and salivation is an integral part of this process. Think of when you go to the dentist, you salivate because something is stimulating your salivation and they too suck it with a vacuum mechanism.

It is probably you that have this. I sometimes have it more than other times. We all, normally, ingest the saliva that we produce, even when we are not eating.

There is nothing wrong with this natural process and there is no need to spit it out like we see done by soccer players (this televised habit has been giving origin to a new generation of disgusting public spitting by the way)
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something wrong with your playing technique that causes such an excessive saliva buildup. The lack of breathing breaks should not, by itself, cause a buildup of saliva.

Without getting into a detailed analysis of how you are playing, I would suggest choosing another song for your performance that allows for breathing breaks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, and I'm just new to the forums, so I'll make sure I look for other threads next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by empressdiver View Post
    There is something wrong with your playing technique that causes such an excessive saliva buildup. The lack of breathing breaks should not, by itself, cause a buildup of saliva.

Without getting into a detailed analysis of how you are playing, I would suggest choosing another song for your performance that allows for breathing breaks.
    It isn't the fact I don't have much time to breath that makes saliva build up, it's that I don't have time to suck up the saliva. I also don't have the option to choose another song ( its a sax choir)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there are medications that can reduce saliva production, but that seems drastic, and unnecessary for such a short term event as playing one song. However in general to reduce saliva you should avoid sweets and dairy the day you are playing. Also, some tea with lemon can help cut through any mucus that could be triggering salivation.
    Also, is there just one measure that you could skip (maybe have someone else cover) that will give you time to swallow?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you happen to live in a state where recreational marijuana is legal...

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fader View Post
    If you happen to live in a state where recreational marijuana is legal...
    LOL. Actually, it's worse to play with a totally 'dry' mouth! You need some moisture in your mouth to keep the reed moist, for one thing.

Alec, you are right in that you definitely don't want to blow saliva into the mouthpiece. You want to activate the reed using a strong air stream that originates deep in your lungs (not the mouth). So even if you have a certain amount of saliva in your mouth, you can still simply blow air from the lungs, using your diaphram, keeping the saliva in your mouth. I'm not sure why you are having difficulty doing this, but maybe if you think in terms of moving the air from your lungs directly into the horn, it could solve the problem. I've never had to 'hold saliva under my tongue.' That never occurred to me, and I suspect it's not helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    LOL. Actually, it's worse to play with a totally 'dry' mouth! You need some moisture in your mouth to keep the reed moist, for one thing.

Alec, you are right in that you definitely don't want to blow saliva into the mouthpiece. You want to activate the reed using a strong air stream that originates deep in your lungs (not the mouth). So even if you have a certain amount of saliva in your mouth, you can still simply blow air from the lungs, using your diaphram, keeping the saliva in your mouth. I'm not sure why you are having difficulty doing this, but maybe if you think in terms of moving the air from your lungs directly into the horn, it could solve the problem. I've never had to 'hold saliva under my tongue.' That never occurred to me, and I suspect it's not helpful.
    Yeah, its only this one song that has really given me this problem. I'll probably just end up cutting out a measure to suck it up. Also, I do always try use my lungs, but the pooling I get is just irritating and some ends up getting in the horn. Thanks for the advice!