Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Heck yeah. Especially vintage ones that you can get thirteen hundred bucks for. I wish I had mine back... so I could sell it again.
    Eh, you probably did alright with it. I bought mine for $33, played it for 20+ years, and sold it for more than 10 times what I paid. Maybe if I didn't use it, I could've sold it for a lot more - especially now.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dctwells View Post
    Wait a minute ..... so you started a thread looking for advice and then you did the one thing everybody unanimously advised you NOT to do?
    We all have seen that happen over and over on SOTW, no surprise anymore.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got the hard Rubber link from Skip... I have never played a mouthpiece so amazing in my life!! I'm using Rico Royal 3.5s and it's so awesome and expressive. I don't have to fight the mouthpiece.

I will be doing a comparison on autumn leaves between about 4 mouthpieces hopefully by Wednesday.

Forum Contributor 2013 graphicguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    Do you suppose the slimmer profile of the metal pieces matching your alto chops is a factor, or not?

probably; good point -- I like the vandoren hard rubber mps like al3 on alto; many here said i should take in more mp on tenor; going from alto to tenor w/habitually tighter embouchure is a challenge, right re metal mps on tenor
    Sax player

(formerly borganiboy) Borganiboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there such a thing, perfect mouthpiece, lol. For me its close on my Andy Sheppard tenor piece. Always looked for that combo of a Link type core yet Guardala ease and power. This piece does that so i'm happy. For now, ha.
    Wedding Solo Sax www.smoothsaxsound.com Tenor Hanson LX, Andy Sheppard Autograph 10 mp, Soprano Hanson LX Van V16 www.jazzclams.com
    Alto www.dbsoundproject.com www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/db-sound-project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    Too late. I got the STM from Phil. Honestly I can't think of a time where I will find another vintage link in this
    condition. Hopefully this is it cause there's no going back!
    Any update on how you're getting along with that STM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no such thing as the perfect mouthpiece. Buy a good quality mouthpiece, equip yourself with good quality reeds of an appropriate stiffness, and go to the shed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swing View Post
    Any update on how you're getting along with that STM?
    Curious minds need to know!
    Go for The Tone,

g

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My money's on it being sent out for a reface...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys! Sorry about my little hiatus I kinda forgot about SOTW for a while there.

To address the curious minds the STM is fantastic!! What a wonderful mouthpiece. I don't like the original Otto Link lig so I'm using a Selmer 404, and w/ #4 Rico Royal reeds.

I want to stress some important thing I've learned. Mouthpieces do not give you chops that comes from practicing a LOT, but a really good one could help you achieve your goals or give you a slight advantage. There's only one life what's worth it to you is worth it in my opinion. I personally believe some old expensive links have a mysteriousness to them, but then there's people who could make a copy of something like that for you. Sakshama's mouthpieces for example are are so close to the real thing its not even funny and for a fraction of the cost. I bought one of his 7* Sterling Silver Rings used and it is amazing with #3.5 Rico Royals and Selmer 404 lig.

I'm still not content on my mouthpiece yet. Ever since I purchased my Selmer Mark VI I have not looked back or had a single second thought on any other Tenor. I'm in love with Daddario Royal reeds. But I still just haven't made my choice on a mouthpiece that I want to spend all of my time on. I'm really not a fan of hard rubber mouthpieces I've decided. I own a Phil-tone Sappire and Intrepid and an EB HR Florida and none of them do it for me. The two best mouthpieces I've played are that 5* Florida STM and the 7* Sakshama Ring which are both amazing but very different.

There are maybe 3 more mouthpieces that I'm curious try before I make my decision: Sakshama TM (on the way in .103), Sakshama Guardala MBII or MB, and maybe a Bob Carpenter refaced modern link in 7*. I'm really close I think.

One of these days I'll post clip of me playing to give everyone an idea of where I'm at. I actually memorize my first tune ever! the whole form, all the changes, the head. And man after the first one the just keep coming even easier and quicker. It's an amazing feeling to actually be playing music and actually I can do it quite easily on any mouthpiece I just have to pick one...

Thanks!

John

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#4 Rico Royal reeds.

I'm really not a fan of hard rubber mouthpieces I've decided. I own a Phil-tone Sappire and Intrepid and an EB HR Florida and none of them do it for me.
    Why such a hard reed?!

Before passing judgement on some great mpcs, you might try a slightly softer reed. A #4 reed is sort of like playing a 2x4. I realize some players do use such hard reeds, but they've probably settled on a mpc (likely a rather small tip one) and have spent considerable time coming to such a decision. In any case, just out of curiosity, do you have a reason for using such an extreme strength reed?

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a good idea to avoid extreme set ups as a relative beginner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To address the curious minds the STM is fantastic!! What a wonderful mouthpiece. I don't like the original Otto Link lig so I'm using a Selmer 404, and w/ #4 Rico Royal reeds.

...Sakshama's mouthpieces for example are are so close to the real thing its not even funny and for a fraction of the cost. I bought one of his 7* Sterling Silver Rings used and it is amazing with #3.5 Rico Royals and Selmer 404 lig.

I'm still not content on my mouthpiece yet...

The two best mouthpieces I've played are that 5* Florida STM and the 7* Sakshama Ring which are both amazing but very different.

There are maybe 3 more mouthpieces that I'm curious try before I make my decision: Sakshama TM (on the way in .103), Sakshama Guardala MBII or MB, and maybe a Bob Carpenter refaced modern link in 7*. I'm really close I think.
    OK, I understand that you are playing the #4 reed on a STM 5*. If that works for you, great. It doesn't seem at all extreme a combination - if you are going to that tone concept.

What I don't understand is your remaining selection pool. You seem all over the map - TM v STM vs Ring vs Guardala MB???

G'luck with the Quest.
    Go for The Tone,

g

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many more parts to this issue than most probably realize, and there are some questions you need to ask yourself and quite a bit of reflection and introspection to do for the sake of truthfully answering each of those questions:

1) What is your sound? What do you naturally sound like without trying to sound any particular way, what do you currently tend to sound like with effort, and what do you want to sound like? All of these questions should have different answers, but they will help clear up exactly which direction you need to go in to achieve what you want. How would you describe your most natural sound? Is there a lot of core, or is it more diffuse? Is it more directional or is it a wider, more spread sound? Is it aggressive or mellow in presentation?

2) What is your approach to embouchure? Are you one of those guys who finds it easier to use small tip openings and hard reeds, or big tips with soft reeds, or somewhere in between? Forget about sound while answering this question, and just focus on what feels the most comfortable to you. Do you prefer to take in a lot of mouthpiece or just a little? Do you tuck your lip over the bottom teeth, does your bottom lip jut out completely, or somewhere in between? Do you bite or are you completely loose, or somewhere in between? I don't see biting as a real problem (I know most teachers will disagree with me, but I know many players who make it work wonderfully for them) unless you're doing it to the extent of damaging your lower lip, and as much as everyone probably hates to admit it, we all bite at least a LITTLE; no one is completely loose.

3) How do you prefer to blow? Do you naturally move tons of air in a wide column, or do you tend to blow in an ultra-focused, fast stream?

If you'd like, send me a PM with the answers to these questions, and I will gladly help to point you in the right direction. Matching mouthpieces to concepts and approaches is something that I'm quite good at.

If you'd rather figure it out yourself, you have my blessing and respect. Just try as many different pieces of equipment as you can, whether it's reeds, mouthpieces, ligatures, horns, etc., in as many different settings as you can for each combination. Even pieces of equipment that are the same make and model can sound and feel shockingly different, so don't rule a category out if you happen to play a bad one the first time. It's a slow and grueling process for all of us, but eventually it can become quite a bit of fun!

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck!

Craig
    I can't stand the amount of emphasis most people place on the "tradition" of jazz. The history of jazz was written by cats who relentlessly pushed the boundaries. Do you know what I call people who only try to play what Bird or Trane already did? Classical musicians.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    OK, I understand that you are playing the #4 reed on a STM 5*. If that works for you, great. It doesn't seem at all extreme a combination - if you are going to that tone concept.

What I don't understand is your remaining selection pool. You seem all over the map - TM v STM vs Ring vs Guardala MB???
    Yes, and that was at least partly my point. If you're going to try mpcs that are all over the map, using a #4 reed might not be the best way to go, unless you've been playing such a reed for years and know that's what you want to use, no matter what mpc. Otherwise it would be seem far more reasonable to go with a medium strength, middle-of the-road reed, somewhere in the #2 - #3 range.

And Craig makes a lot of excellent points. One thing to keep in mind with regard to all those questions is that the OP is a beginning sax player. It would be difficult for a beginner to answer some of those questions. Yet another reason to go with a middle of the road setup (reed and mpc), and spend considerable time on it before trying out all these various options. Just my opinion on the matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Why such a hard reed?!

Before passing judgement on some great mpcs, you might try a slightly softer reed. A #4 reed is sort of like playing a 2x4. I realize some players do use such hard reeds, but they've probably settled on a mpc (likely a rather small tip one) and have spent considerable time coming to such a decision. In any case, just out of curiosity, do you have a reason for using such an extreme strength reed?

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a good idea to avoid extreme set ups as a relative beginner.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding! I ment to say I was using the #4 reeds on that 5* STM, hopefully that makes more sense. I tend to gravitate towards #3 reeds for 7* pieces sometimes #3.5 if I'm feeling frisky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own an STM and a Ring so they are part of my selection. Haven't ever tried a TM in 7* tip range and I'm still curious. I really like the sound of Michael Brecker and am trying to decide if that's the direction I want to go. It's not hard for me to sound the way I want on any mouthpiece, it's just a matter of which mouthpiece helps me get that sound out best and most easily. There's a method to my madness I promise... sometimes I just have to ask obvious questions and say things out loud.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=craigmultireedguy;2809257]There are many more parts to this issue than most probably realize, and there are some questions you need to ask yourself and quite a bit of reflection and introspection to do for the sake of truthfully answering each of those questions:

1) What is your sound? What do you naturally sound like without trying to sound any particular way, what do you currently tend to sound like with effort, and what do you want to sound like? All of these questions should have different answers, but they will help clear up exactly which direction you need to go in to achieve what you want. How would you describe your most natural sound? Is there a lot of core, or is it more diffuse? Is it more directional or is it a wider, more spread sound? Is it aggressive or mellow in presentation?

2) What is your approach to embouchure? Are you one of those guys who finds it easier to use small tip openings and hard reeds, or big tips with soft reeds, or somewhere in between? Forget about sound while answering this question, and just focus on what feels the most comfortable to you. Do you prefer to take in a lot of mouthpiece or just a little? Do you tuck your lip over the bottom teeth, does your bottom lip jut out completely, or somewhere in between? Do you bite or are you completely loose, or somewhere in between? I don't see biting as a real problem (I know most teachers will disagree with me, but I know many players who make it work wonderfully for them) unless you're doing it to the extent of damaging your lower lip, and as much as everyone probably hates to admit it, we all bite at least a LITTLE; no one is completely loose.

3) How do you prefer to blow? Do you naturally move tons of air in a wide column, or do you tend to blow in an ultra

Thank you for the information. I'll post a sound clip this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    ...OP is a beginning sax player. It would be difficult for a beginner to answer some of those questions.
    Thanks JL, I didn't realize that the OP is a beginner, so you're probably right.

To the OP: We're all at different levels, and for all we know you could already have a great and developed sound, despite only playing for a short time (I've seen/heard it happen many times before). If you are shaky when it comes to sound, then these questions will likely be a little overwhelming for you right now. If that's the case, then I vouch for JL's suggestion: Stick with something middle-of-the-road, like a hard rubber Otto Link #6 or so with a reed strength of either 2.5 or 3. Work on your sound every day by doing long tones and overtones (If you can), and by listening to your favorite records. Do that for several months, and keep the questions I asked in the back of your mind while you do so. And then check in with us once you feel more solid and consistent with your sound production, and we can help you from there.
    I can't stand the amount of emphasis most people place on the "tradition" of jazz. The history of jazz was written by cats who relentlessly pushed the boundaries. Do you know what I call people who only try to play what Bird or Trane already did? Classical musicians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's me playing the Sakshama Ring 7* and Original STM 5* on Days of Wine and Roses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7o0MhN75v8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's me playing the Sakshama Ring 7* and Original STM 5* on Days of Wine and Roses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7o0MhN75v8
    Not half bad! You're certainly off to a great start. To my ears, it seemed like you were more comfortable with the Sakshama than the Link, which I'm thinking might be a facing issue with the Link more so than a tip opening comfort issue. You've already figured out how to shape the tone with your throat, so that's great! Aside from a few small control things and your slight hesitations/timidness with notes and phrasing, I actually really liked what I heard.

To me you sound more on the Dexter Gordon side of things. In the middle of focused and spread, leaning toward the dark side, with a not-too-overbearing amount of core. It's a good place to be. So I guess the next question you should ask yourself is, "Is that how I want to sound?"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast