Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Phil would NEVER steer the OP towards a museum-quality $1300 piece when he is still so far from having his equipment needs figured out.

FWIW I've played pretty much all of Phil's tenor pieces and I think either a Tribute or an Intrepid in a 6*-7* range would be the OPs best bet. The Intrepid in particular really has a lot going on in the sound department.
    1936 Conn 10M tenor, 1941 Buescher "Big B" alto, 1917 Conn curved soprano

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dctwells View Post
    $1300 on a mouthpiece when you don't even know what tip size you should be playing? Really?
    For your information never did I once say I was searching for tips... I wanted to know whether I should buy an original 5* Link or look for a 7* I have played on .105 mouthpieces for 4 or 5 years and I've played the saxophone for 11 years. Recently I got the perfect saxophone and I'm searching for the same in mouthpieces. Some of these vintage mouthpieces come in 5* tips a lot and when one is going to purchase a vintage mouthpiece such as what I'm looking for it's not the best idea to open the mouthpieces am I wrong? So if I'm going to purchase one I would have to play on the 5* tip rather than a 7*. My questions were about whether I should get one opened, purchase an opened mouthpiece, search for one in 7* tip, or just play on the 5*. Maybe I should have been more clear.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you want a Link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Why do you want a Link?
    That's all I've ever played and I am not investing time in other brands. I want the best possible Otto Link I can find, I'm very serious about my playing at this time. My plan is to play professionally in the next few years... all of my idols play these mouthpieces and have great results. So why can't I? Also a lot of people don't realize how easy it is to try mouthpieces in Montana...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    That's all I've ever played and I am not investing time in other brands.
    Fair enough. I also played them many years ago. I had a #5 Florida STM that was truly one of those special mouthpieces. Thing is, I wanted something more open as that was the direction I was heading. If I refaced it, and then didn't like it... I'd be screwed and the piece would have less value. So I passed it on unaltered for value, eventually trading for something that was perfect for me; finding my true preference in a hard rubber piece made by another maker. Thing is, I never found that same sort of vibe in any other Link STM, vintage or modern, and I also went on the sort of hunt you're embarking on now. But if I limited myself to only Links, I'd have missed out on all sorts of quality mouthpieces and wouldn't be where I am now. Satisfied with my equipment and uninterested in further shopping around.

Back on the first page of this string I let you know an easy and frugal way of trying a vast variety of mouthpieces which should work if you're patient... even in Montana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's all I've ever played and I am not investing time in other brands. I want the best possible Otto Link I can find, I'm very serious about my playing at this time. My plan is to play professionally in the next few years... all of my idols play these mouthpieces and have great results. So why can't I? Also a lot of people don't realize how easy it is to try mouthpieces in Montana...
    Just for starters order 4-5 metal Links for trial (new ones) and you might find your ultimate mpc from those (and save a lot of dough!)! I've owned Florida Links, EB Links and copies of those etc. and my main tenor mouthpiece is a current production Link. If the new ones doesn't satisfy your needs THEN I would start trying the vintage ones and copies of those vintage ones.

Just a thought.

-TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I also played them many years ago. I had a #5 Florida STM that was truly one of those special mouthpieces. Thing is, I wanted something more open as that was the direction I was heading. If I refaced it, and then didn't like it... I'd be screwed and the piece would have less value. So I passed it on unaltered for value, eventually trading for something that was perfect for me; finding my true preference in a hard rubber piece made by another maker. Thing is, I never found that same sort of vibe in any other Link STM, vintage or modern, and I also went on the sort of hunt you're embarking on now. But if I limited myself to only Links, I'd have missed out on all sorts of quality mouthpieces and wouldn't be where I am now. Satisfied with my equipment and uninterested in further shopping around.

Back on the first page of this string I let you know an easy and frugal way of trying a vast variety of mouthpieces which should work if you're patient... even in Montana.
    Sorta forgot about that post in all the confusion. Will certainly keep the advice in mind I've heard this twice now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -TH View Post
    Just for starters order 4-5 metal Links for trial (new ones) and you might find your ultimate mpc from those (and save a lot of dough!)! I've owned Florida Links, EB Links and copies of those etc. and my main tenor mouthpiece is a current production Link. If the new ones doesn't satisfy your needs THEN I would start trying the vintage ones and copies of those vintage ones.

Just a thought.

-TH
    Too late. I got the STM from Phil. Honestly I can't think of a time where I will find another vintage link in this condition. Hopefully this is it cause there's no going back!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too late. I got the STM from Phil. Honestly I can't think of a time where I will find another vintage link in this condition. Hopefully this is it cause there's no going back!
    Enjoy!
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait a minute ..... so you started a thread looking for advice and then you did the one thing everybody unanimously advised you NOT to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking for advice on buying a vintage Link in the first place as in what to look for when buying one. And I got the information I needed, granted my mind changed briefly. Now I have purchased a vintage Link. As I recall almost everyone was giving me examples of good modern mouthpieces to look into and answering my questions about vintage mouthpieces. You are really the only person saying don't get one... did you see Mr. Neff's rebound when he found out that link was from Phil-tone? This STM is going to be a killer mouthpiece I'm already banking on it... literally. I've probably sent Phil 100 emails chatting with him since last night.

Wait a minute ..... so you started a thread looking for advice and then you did the one thing everybody unanimously advised you NOT to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope it works out ..... no doubt about it, that is a beautiful looking mouthpiece!

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, you are getting a beautiful old piece.

Congratulations to you AND Phil!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This STM is going to be a killer mouthpiece I'm already banking on it...
    You think you're the first person here that fell in love with a mouthpiece they haven't even played yet? It's actually quite common. Some folks will have their review already written before it arrives; or at least partially composed in their head, filled with anticipation and the desire to broadcast. Then after the thread is gone, you'll see them on to another piece. And another. And another... and another.

I find that folks aren't always looking for advice 'round these parts, but affirmation. I betcha he goes and opens it up to boot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think you're the first person here that fell in love with a mouthpiece they haven't even played yet? It's actually quite common. Some folks will have their review already written before it arrives; or at least partially composed in their head, filled with anticipation and the desire to broadcast. Then after the thread is gone, you'll see them on to another piece. And another. And another... and another.

I find that folks aren't always looking for advice 'round these parts, but affirmation. I betcha he goes and opens it up to boot.
    Maybe it will suck I understand that. But Phil has told me that it's a strong player and I trust him. If I don't like it I'm going to keep it and hope it appreciates in value and buy either a Tribute or a Sakshama.

And yes I was also looking for affirmation. But I had no clue about this piece from Phil when I started the thread. I was about to pull the trigger on the piece from Skip Gailes but someone snatched it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to thank everyone for all of the comments too! You've all answered many of my questions and shared some awesome information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacks Of Phones View Post
    This is a bit zen-like, but only YOU can find your perfect mouthpiece. When you ask this forum "what should I get?" , you'll just get everyone elses opinion on their favorite mouthpiece that works for them. You may find your perfect piece until next week when it's no longer the best thing in the world. Good luck, Godspeed.

Hi.
    As well as agreeing to much of the above.

There is almost too much choice today. I play an EB short/wide STM 7* and I have played this piece since 93.
    I also have a Benjamin Allen 10E #8 that works better on my back up horn.

I do, when I can, test play other pieces....and the piont I want to make is that I have played quite a few modern made mouthpieces that were every bit as good as my STM and had I spent time on any one of them, they could all of been full-time keepers. We have Phill-tone, Klum, Drake, Pillenger, + others making well finished Link-Like mouthpieces.
    One other mouthpiece I would like to put in there, to add a bit of spin to the ball, is the New Vintage Tone Master ...that if finished as well as the above mouthpieces would also be right up there. So I would consider that a very nice blank.
    Something else that comes to mind is ...one can take three mouthpieces from any era of Otto Link I.e three slants and they can all play quite differently. Again finish is everything.

Forum Contributor 2013 graphicguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

links are excellent; for my tenor I started on 6* link STM then bought an 8*; played each for six months or so; for me the 6* sounds better; still using vandoren java green 2 1/2 reeds + rovner lig works well

on a side note I find it odd that metal mps are too bright for my liking for alto, while the opposite is true on tenor; hard rubber tenor mps I find don't have as strong, smooth tone as do the metal STMs. focusing more on learning w/long tones vs chasing lots of diff mps
    Sax player

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
    links are excellent; for my tenor I started on 6* link STM then bought an 8*; played each for six months or so; for me the 6* sounds better; still using vandoren java green 2 1/2 reeds + rovner lig works well

on a side note I find it odd that metal mps are too bright for my liking for alto, while the opposite is true on tenor; hard rubber tenor mps I find don't have as strong, smooth tone as do the metal STMs. focusing more on learning w/long tones vs chasing lots of diff mps
    Do you suppose the slimmer profile of the metal pieces matching your alto chops is a factor, or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
    links are excellent...
    Heck yeah. Especially vintage ones that you can get thirteen hundred bucks for. I wish I had mine back... so I could sell it again.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast