Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece - Page 2
Viking Instruments
Hyson Music
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67
  1. #21
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Dr G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    What link model is the Tribute based on? a Double Ring? I never gave it a fair chance simply because the mosaic had a lot more projection. I'll look into trying one out.
    Here ya go:

    http://www.phil-tone.com/tribute-and-mosaic



    The Tribute


    The Tribute is the Phil-Tone way of paying homage to jazz saxophone legends as well as to the mouthpiece that so many used to create their voice . The Florida Link holds a special place in musical history for many of us.

    We began with a vast collection of vintage pieces. We chose the very best metal vintage Florida for analysis. Through the use of laser mapping, 3d printers, and months of trials and adjustments the goal was achieved; a piece with the richness, color, and vibrancy, of the vintage original without modernizations or added “steroids”. The Tribute can whisper or project with attitude. Always complex, always full, its versatility and precise construction opens endless avenues of musical articulation. Simply put, the piece sounds and feels like the best Florida you will find at a fraction of the cost and effort.
    Go for The Tone,

    g



    "When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

  2. #22
    MrGreenLantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Here ya go:

    http://www.phil-tone.com/tribute-and-mosaic



    The Tribute


    The Tribute is the Phil-Tone way of paying homage to jazz saxophone legends as well as to the mouthpiece that so many used to create their voice . The Florida Link holds a special place in musical history for many of us.

    We began with a vast collection of vintage pieces. We chose the very best metal vintage Florida for analysis. Through the use of laser mapping, 3d printers, and months of trials and adjustments the goal was achieved; a piece with the richness, color, and vibrancy, of the vintage original without modernizations or added “steroids”. The Tribute can whisper or project with attitude. Always complex, always full, its versatility and precise construction opens endless avenues of musical articulation. Simply put, the piece sounds and feels like the best Florida you will find at a fraction of the cost and effort.
    I got a hold of the guy who purchased Skip's mouthpiece and he won't let me buy it back from him Sigizmund270. So I guess I might as well give some other alternatives a try. It sounds to me as though the Sakshama is the way to go but the Phil-Tone Tribute is really catching my attention. Are there any others worth looking into?

    I've had some interest in a Bob Carpenter refaced modern STM from Sax Alley. But I've been advised they lose their linkiness, are they still worth giving a shot? much less price wise than what I was looking for before.

  3. #23
    SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    JL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    19,150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    What link model is the Tribute based on? a Double Ring? I never gave it a fair chance simply because the mosaic had a lot more projection. I'll look into trying one out.
    As Dr G's post indicates, it's essentially a Florida Link. Which is partly why I mentioned it because in your OP it sounded like you were looking for something like that.

    I also play-tested the Mosaic (briefly--on a pass around) and compared it to my Tribute. I sure wouldn't say the Mosaic had a lot more projection; of course it's pretty hard to say how well a mpc is projecting unless you could stand at the other end of a large room while playing at the near end--an impossible feat! I really liked the Mosaic also, but preferred the more focused and slightly brighter sound of the Tribute. The Mosaic seemed have a more 'spread' sound, which would argue against it projecting more. It's highly subjective of course and I didn't put in much time on the Mosaic. I think they are both great pieces.

  4. #24
    MrGreenLantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    As Dr G's post indicates, it's essentially a Florida Link. Which is partly why I mentioned it because in your OP it sounded like you were looking for something like that.

    I also play-tested the Mosaic (briefly--on a pass around) and compared it to my Tribute. I sure wouldn't say the Mosaic had a lot more projection; of course it's pretty hard to say how well a mpc is projecting unless you could stand at the other end of a large room while playing at the near end--an impossible feat! I really liked the Mosaic also, but preferred the more focused and slightly brighter sound of the Tribute. The Mosaic seemed have a more 'spread' sound, which would argue against it projecting more. It's highly subjective of course and I didn't put in much time on the Mosaic. I think they are both great pieces.
    I guess I would call the mosaic bigger sounding. It was just much louder or spread in my opinion. Plus at the time I was looking for a Dexter Gordon sound. I think if I were to try the tribute again I would like it a lot. So I'm going to try and get one to try.

  5. #25
    MrGreenLantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    I've finally looked into the Ted Klum pieces and they look great! However at some those prices I figure I may as well buy a vintage mouthpiece or the Sakshama. Any experiences with the Focustone or his Florida model? These are the mouthpieces I'm considering right now:

    -Sakshama Ring 7*

    -Phil-tone Tribute 7*

    -Ted Klum Florida or focustone 7*

    -modern Otto Link NY Bob Carpenter reface 7*

    I have a few mouthpieces on the way to me right now as well:

    -Otto Link Millennium 7* apparently refaced by merlin (I have no idea how this would compare the bob carpenter refaced link)

    -Otto Link Florida slant HR 5* If I like this piece would it be worth opening it up? Skip said he'd sell it to me for $700

  6. #26
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Dr G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    -Otto Link Florida slant HR 5* If I like this piece would it be worth opening it up? Skip said he'd sell it to me for $700
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

    If you like the piece, don't change it. If you don't like it, sell it.
    Go for The Tone,

    g



    "When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

  7. #27
    MrGreenLantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

    If you like the piece, don't change it. If you don't like it, sell it.
    Ok, just thought I'd ask!

    Thanks!

  8. #28
    Forum Contributor 2016-17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    I've finally looked into the Ted Klum pieces and they look great! However at some those prices I figure I may as well buy a vintage mouthpiece or the Sakshama. Any experiences with the Focustone or his Florida model? These are the mouthpieces I'm considering right now:

    -Sakshama Ring 7*

    -Phil-tone Tribute 7*

    -Ted Klum Florida or focustone 7*

    -modern Otto Link NY Bob Carpenter reface 7*

    I have a few mouthpieces on the way to me right now as well:

    -Otto Link Millennium 7* apparently refaced by merlin (I have no idea how this would compare the bob carpenter refaced link)

    -Otto Link Florida slant HR 5* If I like this piece would it be worth opening it up? Skip said he'd sell it to me for $700
    I play a Klum Focustone Precision 7*. The Klum is definitely on the brighter end of the spectrum. Much easier to get to that Trane vibe if that is what you are looking for. Do a YouTube search for Chris Potter playing the Klum Focustone Precision. You'll also hear plenty of clips where he plays his primary piece, which I believe is a Florida Link. There is no question that Chris' sound is brighter on the Klum Focustone than his Link. I think the relative difference between his usual sound and the sound on that clip should give you a sense of what you might expect from that piece.
    54,XXX Selmer SBA tenor/Ted Klum Focustone Precision 7*/Selmer Short Shank Soloist D (refaced by Matt Marantz to 0.105")
    Rampone & Cazzani curved soprano/Vandoren SL4

  9. #29
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Dr G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by raghav View Post
    I play a Klum Focustone Precision 7*. The Klum is definitely on the brighter end of the spectrum. Much easier to get to that Trane vibe if that is what you are looking for.
    FWIW, I was playing a FocusTone Precision 8* last month on my silver pearl Borgani, and it is NOTHING like Trane's thin sound. Ted's pieces are very responsive ("Precision"), and do have a lil' less spread than your average great Link ("FocusTone") - not just a clever name. That said, IF you can back off (and that is harder for me than letting it rip), these pieces do have the capacity to provide fat lush tones in the bottom end of the horn. I love the articulation on these.

    But if a classic Link vibe is what you're after, I'd go with the Sakshama or Phil-Tone. I'll have some Sakshamas arriving in tomorrow's mail - some may be for sale if I don't get too wrapped up with them. If SILVER is your metal of choice, I'd still go for working directly with Sakshama to dial in what you want.
    Go for The Tone,

    g



    "When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

  10. #30
    MrGreenLantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    FWIW, I was playing a FocusTone Precision 8* last month on my silver pearl Borgani, and it is NOTHING like Trane's thin sound. Ted's pieces are very responsive ("Precision"), and do have a lil' less spread than your average great Link ("FocusTone") - not just a clever name. That said, IF you can back off (and that is harder for me than letting it rip), these pieces do have the capacity to provide fat lush tones in the bottom end of the horn. I love the articulation on these.

    But if a classic Link vibe is what you're after, I'd go with the Sakshama or Phil-Tone. I'll have some Sakshamas arriving in tomorrow's mail - some may be for sale if I don't get too wrapped up with them. If SILVER is your metal of choice, I'd still go for working directly with Sakshama to dial in what you want.
    It's sounding as though Sakshama is going to be my best choice, although the Focustone sounds interesting it's just about $1000 new. Also feeling quite positive about the Tribute, I'll try and get one to play test. Do you think the Ted Klum Florida would be very similar to the phil-tone tribute? And I'm glad you mention that... at one point I was obsessed with Trane's sound and it was affecting my playing now I'm focusing on sounding like me.

  11. #31
    MrGreenLantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by raghav View Post
    I play a Klum Focustone Precision 7*. The Klum is definitely on the brighter end of the spectrum. Much easier to get to that Trane vibe if that is what you are looking for. Do a YouTube search for Chris Potter playing the Klum Focustone Precision. You'll also hear plenty of clips where he plays his primary piece, which I believe is a Florida Link. There is no question that Chris' sound is brighter on the Klum Focustone than his Link. I think the relative difference between his usual sound and the sound on that clip should give you a sense of what you might expect from that piece.
    Cool I checked some clips out and there is a definite difference. I like the sound of the Focustone quite a bit but I would have to play it to know for sure. It's a little expensive for me to just buy without getting to test it out. Are you still digging the Sakshama TM?

  12. #32
    MrGreenLantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    I'm trying to sway my focus from vintage links and stick to the choices I listed above... However what about this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Fl...IAAOSwjDZYhpHK

  13. #33
    Forum Contributor 2016-17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    Cool I checked some clips out and there is a definite difference. I like the sound of the Focustone quite a bit but I would have to play it to know for sure. It's a little expensive for me to just buy without getting to test it out. Are you still digging the Sakshama TM?
    Yeah, the Saskhama TM is a real nice piece. The Klum has more of what I am looking for. As for Dr. G's comment on whether the Klum yields a Trane-like sound, that is not what i meant. It's actually a tremendously flexible piece, with a huge difference in sound possible just by altering airflow and reed choice. At this point in time, I'm going for that Trane vibe.
    54,XXX Selmer SBA tenor/Ted Klum Focustone Precision 7*/Selmer Short Shank Soloist D (refaced by Matt Marantz to 0.105")
    Rampone & Cazzani curved soprano/Vandoren SL4

  14. #34
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Dr G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    I'm trying to sway my focus from vintage links and stick to the choices I listed above... However what about this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Fl...IAAOSwjDZYhpHK
    I am amazed to see one in such condition. Amazed, I say!
    Go for The Tone,

    g



    "When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houlton, Maine
    Posts
    2,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    I'm trying to sway my focus from vintage links and stick to the choices I listed above... However what about this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Fl...IAAOSwjDZYhpHK
    $1300 on a mouthpiece when you don't even know what tip size you should be playing? Really?
    1936 Conn 10M, 10mfan Robusto HR, Rafael Navarro Bop Boy HR, 1941 Buescher "Big B" alto, Lamberson Fmaj7, Yanagisawa S-6, SopranoPlanet Open Sky II

  16. #36
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by dctwells View Post
    $1300 on a mouthpiece when you don't even know what tip size you should be playing? Really?
    I'm thinking he didn't read my post in the beginning of this thread about shiny vintage links..........

    I'm serious about that! I used to go into music stores in the 80's and 90's and these Otto Links in there. I would try a bunch and every time I went in I would see the same ones still there years later. These are the ones I tried that were just awful playing. Still there........every year because everyone tried them and they were awful. Then the miracle of ebay came and now they can sell that shiny Link for 1300 because it is vintage! A lot of people put down refaced pieces but do you ever wonder why so many of these links are refaced?............

  17. #37
    KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenLantern View Post
    I'm trying to sway my focus from vintage links and stick to the choices I listed above... However what about this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Fl...IAAOSwjDZYhpHK
    That's being sold by Phil of Phil-Tone who is also responsible for the Tribute you are considering. If you are interested in that piece I would PM him directly as he is a very active member here at SOTW and typically replies quickly. He may also have some other pieces around that may interest you and would be a good person to ask about the vintage Links compare to some of the newer Link copies.

  18. #38
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    10,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    That's being sold by Phil of Phil-Tone who is also responsible for the Tribute you are considering. If you are interested in that piece I would PM him directly as he is a very active member here at SOTW and typically replies quickly. He may also have some other pieces around that may interest you and would be a good person to ask about the vintage Links compare to some of the newer Link copies.
    I didn't realize that was being sold by Phil. I would edit my shiny link comment by saying Phil is a truthful guy and has always steered me in the right direction so I'm sure if you talk to him you can believe his opinion of the link as well as his own pieces.........

  19. #39
    MLucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by dctwells View Post
    $1300 on a mouthpiece when you don't even know what tip size you should be playing? Really?
    I know, right? Seriously, if you're still deciding what tip size works best for you, you probably want to figure that out before you invest in a pricey vintage mouthpiece.

    I might suggest ordering a bunch of different Vandorens (just because they probably have the best quality control of the mass produced mouthpieces) from a retailer that allows you a trial period. Try 'em out, find what tip and chamber size best suits your needs, send the others back. (Musicans Friend will let you do this, and I'm sure there are others.) Then work with that mouthpiece for a year or two, explore what it can and can't do, and if it turns out it's holding you back in some specific way, then start thinking about more high end and vintage pieces that may help you achieve some particular thing you're not able to do otherwise.

    Or not. It's your money. If you can afford to spend thousands of dollars trying out high end mouthpieces in a trial and error search, and that's what you feel like doing, far be it from me to talk you out of it.

  20. #40
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Dr G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    I didn't realize that was being sold by Phil. I would edit my shiny link comment by saying Phil is a truthful guy and has always steered me in the right direction so I'm sure if you talk to him you can believe his opinion of the link as well as his own pieces.........
    Ditto that - especially given the experience that Phil had with Theo Wanne when they went through the process of finding The One out of Theo's collection to use as a reference for the Phil-Tone "Tribute".
    Go for The Tone,

    g



    "When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge