Sax on the Web Forum banner

Tenor Neck Issues

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  saxyjare01 
#1 ·
Hey All!

i have a late model MKVI that I have been playing for about 22 years. I love the horn. however, over the years the neck has pulled down. Not from putting the mouthpiece on the horn...I put that on before I put the neck on. When I play, I move so much that the movement and weight of my head against the horn has bent the neck down. I have moved the neck back into round several times, but am afraid the metal in the neck is weakening. I am considering looking for a new neck, but i was wondering if there is anyone out there who does like a decorative brace that can fit in the curve of the neck and provide some stability for the neck. When in round, the neck sounds and feels killer. But if it is pulled down just a little bit it is stuffy and hard to blow through. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Eric

#2 ·
Karsten Gloger worked over the neck on my #1 Borgani, and added this brace. A good horn tech could either transplant one from an old donor Conn or fabricate one from scratch.

#3 ·
Honestly, I would call Paul Maslin, Ken Beason, or Randy Jones (Ken is my go-to). If it's just a little pull down I wouldn't go searching for a new neck. It can be fixed relatively easily. And, unless you're really putting the mouthpiece on with the neck attached to the body, or lifting the horn up. Y the neck, there should be no reason for a brace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.