What next?

Thread: What next?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What next?

I have both an alto and tenor saxophone and have been playing for around 8 years. But I have a dilema: do I either
    • Buy a soprano saxophne
    • Learn the flute
    • Learn the clarinet

Any advice would be helpful

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What next?

why?

I mean, playing any of this other instruments is fun but the situation that you are in is hardly a “ dilemma “ in the sense that it isn’t “ conditio sine qua non “ ( something ineluctable and unavoidable).

Some people play one horn for the rest of their lives and I am certain that you haven’t exhausted all that you have to learn on tenor playing.

Over the years, I doubled in many other instruments, all the ones you mentioned and more, but I’ve recently decided to concentrate ONLY on tenor playing rather than spreading my attention thinner among several other horns.

There were also other reasons such as physical problems but the main thing is to concentrate on doing one thing better rather than doing many half-baked things.

I still, occasionally play soprano, alto, flute ( soprano, bass and alto) and clarinet ( soprano and bass), because I happen to buy one and sell it, but in my band I am a tenor only player.

If you like to play more instruments then play them all. Each has its merits and applications and your playing will benefit from acquiring new skills.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're looking for a double that will possibly increase your opportunities to play with a group, Flute has replaced Clarinet for contemporary groups, Latin and 60's and later charts, while clarinet still rules for Swing (thru the 50's into the 60's) and earlier charts. Of the 3 Clarinet, is probably the most challenging and will require more time devoted to it than the others, especially Soprano. About half the players I know own a Soprano and it's a pretty easy transition with embouchure adjustment and getting accustomed to the smaller size. As Milandro said above, any double will take time away from your primary horn, so what are your priorities?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarinet or flute. If you want more opportunities to work you will want to be versatile. A soprano might be more fun for your personal enjoyment though.

For me, the flute was easier to adapt saxophone fingerings to but the embouchure and breath support are very different and difficult to adjust to. Clarinet is the opposite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started on flute then sax.
    Tried violin and clarinet.
    Still play flute(s) and sax(s)
    Really want to try steel pan drum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spike421 View Post
    If you're looking for a double that will possibly increase your opportunities to play with a group, Flute has replaced Clarinet for contemporary groups, Latin and 60's and later charts, while clarinet still rules for Swing (thru the 50's into the 60's) and earlier charts. Of the 3 Clarinet, is probably the most challenging and will require more time devoted to it than the others, especially Soprano. About half the players I know own a Soprano and it's a pretty easy transition with embouchure adjustment and getting accustomed to the smaller size. As Milandro said above, any double will take time away from your primary horn, so what are your priorities?

One thing stopping me is the style of music I want to play. I currently play in a soul band a jazz and sometimes musically. I am a bluesy jazzy person.
    The other thing is when I blufht the tenor I have stopped playing the alto really...so I don't want that to happen again.

Distinguished SOTW Member jaysne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on what your goals are. Being a "bluesy jazzy person," I could see you playing on any of those three instruments you mentioned.

I say listen to some jazz or blues being played on soprano, flute, or clarinet and see which instruments speaks to you the most (that is, the one whose sound you like most). Then you'll have your answer.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baritone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamk View Post

Really want to try steel pan drum.
    You like pan? You should head down to Trinidad, man . . . . Home of pan and Carnival . . . . and Carnival is starting very soon. The steel band fetes and competitions are probably already going strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know of Chris Wabich?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My comedy show is 75% tenor, 20% vocal, and 5% soprano.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just buy an Aerophone and you can have it all.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loscar9 View Post
    The other thing is when I blufht the tenor I have stopped playing the alto really...so I don't want that to happen again.
    The OP hasn't been back in months..I hope the blufnt didn't prove fatal.....
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)