Sax on the Web Forum banner

Thoughts on Super 20 Series 6?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  cymru97 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the newer model Super 20 Series 6 alto saxes? I see one for sale that doesn't look too bad and would have to be tested...but wondering if it'd work as a good beginner horn?

#2 ·
I have refurbed several S20's, from the classic Cleveland-made ones to the early Eastlakes to the ones labeled King USA to the last iterations known as the 2414/16.

The late ones are GOOD horns. No, not at the zenith of the company or model, but still seriously solid horns. They didn't change a whole lot of the body specs throughout its existence; they did alter the neck specs and the keywork specs a bit. The question as to whether the brazed toneholes became drawn toward the end of the run is still open to some debate.

Better than a beginner horn....

#5 ·
I have a 2416 tenor and it's one of my favorite horns. The original neck was horrible on it. Bright and thin and completely out of tune, like a student horn I believe these were sold as. I found a Gloger neck for a great price (it was for a MKVI I believe) and the horn snapped right up. Great big tone and intonation is dead on. Build is solid. I had it worked on a bit and the tech was amazed how good a horn it was. I paid $500 for it and found the Gloger for $300. Love my setup.

And then there is the LE-300. Only seen a few altos. But it's got some S20 genes for sure...

Not my listing.

#7 ·
I've got a “USA” tenor and it';s a really nice horn. I find the original neck to be just fine, but I was able to pick up an Eastlake neck that does fatten it up a bit. I like it a lot, very comfortable ergos and good intonation. All that said, the market does nott care all that much for them so be careful on price and buy it to play it.

Let us know what you think!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.