Sax on the Web Forum banner

Rico Graftonite or Rico Metalite Soprano mouthpiece (dukoff)

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  TheClassicGentleman 
#1 ·
Hi, I play the saxophone for 5 year alto and tenor and finally I have bought a KOHLERT SOPRANO, I play a blue jumbo java a45, and
a v16 T8 tenor and a blue t75 vandoren jumbo java. The thing is that I know that this issue of choising the right mouth is so painful. I'm looking a mouthpiece bright like a dukoff or similar. I don't want to invert in expensive mouthpieces for now and I have read many good things about the Rico Graftonite and Rico Metalite Soprano, that's why I need your help also a recomendation for good bright reeds.

Thank you very much

#3 ·
If you want inexpensive the Yamaha 4C would be better than either of the RICO models. Get whatever reeds you use to sound 'bright' on alto or tenor in the soprano version.

#8 ·
thecovel: It shouldn't matter to you what anyone else uses, likes, or dislikes about a mouthpiece. We are all different , thus you must make the decision/choice yourself. How can anyone tell you what will work for you? This goes on here every day to
Yhe point that I laugh outloud everytime someone asks your question and someone else supposes to answer it. DAVE

#9 ·
I have to disagree on this particular question Dave. In this case the tenor Metalite has quite a following. One might assume that the pieces would be good for the smaller horns. I have all of them and I find the alto and soprano to be shrill. I will probably always keep the tenor piece as I think its that good.

#10 ·
What does a tenor mouthpiece's result have to do with 1) the soprano, and 2) this player's embouchure? I don't know many players who play the same brand and style of mouthpiece on sop, alto, tenor, and bari. Oh, there probably are some but not many.

My soprano Metalite is rather warm, not shrill when I play it. So two players (you and me) have the exact opposite results with a similar mouthpiece. Sorta makes my point, doesn't it?

Over the years, I've seen innumerable examples of different results among different players with the same mouthpiece. True, the opposite happens, too - many players like similar mouthpieces, but I think it is problematic for someone to tell another pkayer what mouthpiece to use just because the responder happens to play one. These questions almost always result in answers that resemble a popularity contest and not useful recommendations. DAVE

#12 ·
What does a tenor mouthpiece's result have to do with 1) the soprano, and 2) this player's embouchure? I don't know many players who play the same brand and style of mouthpiece on sop, alto, tenor, and bari. Oh, there probably are some but not many.

My soprano Metalite is rather warm, not shrill when I play it. So two players (you and me) have the exact opposite results with a similar mouthpiece. Sorta makes my point, doesn't it?

Over the years, I've seen innumerable examples of different results among different players with the same mouthpiece. True, the opposite happens, too - many players like similar mouthpieces, but I think it is problematic for someone to tell another pkayer what mouthpiece to use just because the responder happens to play one. These questions almost always result in answers that resemble a popularity contest and not useful recommendations. DAVE
Its common sense to ask people for a wide range of experiences to make an educated guess before spending money. You obviously have a good opinion of them. It seems to me that would have been of more use to the OP then more or less telling him he's wasting his time for even asking.

#13 ·
Yes, but I would never suppose that because my Metallite played a certain way for me (and know that I do not favor mine in the face of many others I like better) that the OP would have the same result. There just is no way that any of us can advise someone else about something as personal as a mouthpiece by way of an internet forum.

You can make a similar analogy about spending money in the opposite direction. How will it be when the OP buys a Matallite based on the assumption that if it played for me, it will play for him, and then he finds out that it was a poor choice for him?

I know many here just love to get into these threads and make recommendations based solely on what they use. Good luck with that. I think it is better to let the OP know that after all the questions are asked, he must go out and do it just like all of us have done it - either find one to test or take the risk of buying something and seeing if it works. There is no other way.

Can a player find happiness with a recommended mouthpiece? Of course. But that is more chance than anything else. DAVE

#14 ·
I second what Chipcook said.
I started on a Yamaha 5C which had a very nice sound, then a Rico Royal Graftonite 5B, a Claude Lakey 5* and a Selmer Classic Metal G.
Today I use a Vandoren V16 S7.
It is a very versatile mouthpiece and can be very bright or dark depending on the reeds you use.
Whatever reeds you use to sound bright on your alto and tenor will do the same for your soprano.
Plasticovers will do a nice job.
Personally I use Vandoren Traditional reeds or Steuer Traditional reeds.
I use #3 reeds when I want a darker tone.
I use #2.5 reeds when I want a brighter tone.
I use a BG France Super Revelation ligature.
It's worked well for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.