Silver Plating V.S. Lacquer - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Silver Plating V.S. Lacquer

Quote Originally Posted by nvilletele View Post
    Here's my question....if the sax itself does not vibrate or is not resonant itself, or however best to phrase it, why does a clip on vibration only (no mic) tuner work? , There's got to be some sort of vibration right? I'm not saying saxophone is a resonant instrument or anything really one way or the the other I'm just curious. Is it just that the tuner only needs the most minimal of vibrations to register the note? Or is it perhaps picking up vibrations from the air maybe?
    The following is from: http://tellmewhyfacts.com/2007/09/ho...nd-travel.html
    Solids are made up of particles (atoms) that do not move about because they are closely packed (touching each other) and held together by strong intermolecular forces. Therefore, they are always in a fixed position and can only vibrate in a fixed position, sending sound waves along its path very fast. This is similar to a domino effect. This means that sound waves (produce from a vibrating source) is immediately transmitted by the vibrating particle in a fixed position by hitting the neighboring atom sending on the sound wave from one atom to the other throughout the solid object.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vibrationalism: When left untreated, clouds the mind of the musically inclined and weakens the resolve of the community.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's my question....if the sax itself does not vibrate or is not resonant itself,
    Indeed I think we need to differentiate between the terms vibrate and resonate, in that on a molecular level (or atomic - see responses below) there is no doubt some vibration or movement (but not what we think of as, or can feel as, vibrations that you might feel from a drum skin when hit or any electronic vibrating device (I think you know what I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzsaxBC View Post
    The saxophone body will vibrate and carry the sound waves passively through itself, just like, for example, a pane of glass. This does not mean that the saxophone body is actually resonating and producing sound waves of its own. There's a world of difference between the two.
    Exactly, good analogy.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by mijderf View Post
    Solids are made up of particles (atoms) that do not move about because they are closely packed (touching each other) and held together by strong intermolecular forces. Therefore, they are always in a fixed position and can only vibrate in a fixed position, sending sound waves along its path very fast. This is similar to a domino effect. This means that sound waves (produce from a vibrating source) is immediately transmitted by the vibrating particle in a fixed position by hitting the neighboring atom sending on the sound wave from one atom to the other throughout the solid object.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you ďresonate" yourself when you play, but you donít produce any sound. Same thing for the room you play, it vibrates too, but makes no sound.

Passive, sympathetic vibrations produce no sound.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some donít. Those who have the cherries arenít likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzsaxBC View Post
    The saxophone body will vibrate and carry the sound waves passively through itself, just like, for example, a pane of glass. This does not mean that the saxophone body is actually resonating and producing sound waves of its own. There's a world of difference between the two.
    So then I guess that the answer to my question "Is it just that the tuner only needs the most minimal of vibrations to register the note?" is "Yes"

Quote Originally Posted by mijderf View Post
    OK . . . not sure why this info is directly relevant to my question, but I will certainly accept that when you hit something (or pushing vibrating air through it) it may (however minimally) vibrate and/or make a sound, at the molecular, atomic or any other level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK . . . not sure why this info is directly relevant to my question, but I will certainly accept that when you hit something (or pushing vibrating air through it) it may (however minimally) vibrate and/or make a sound, at the molecular, atomic or any other level.
    The sound waves are transmitted through the horn to the accelerometer or similar sensor, so it will sense the waves and their frequency. Here is an example of sorts. When I was in grade school my teacher held a ticking watch near my ear and slowly moved it away until I could no longer hear it (maybe 1 foot away). Then she placed the watch on a wooden yard stick (at one end) with the other end against my ear. It was very easy to hear. Was there any measurable vibration of the yard stick? No, but it did transmit the sound to a sound wave sensor (my ear).

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorMatherExp View Post
    I am wondering what the main sound differences are between silver plating and lacquer, because I have heard that silver is brighter that lacquer and vice versa.
    If anyone has any articles please share!
    There are many components that contribute to the overall sound of a horn - player, mouthpiece, reed, ligature(?), resonator size, and, most significantly, GEOMETRY.

Rather than get bogged down with controversy, I suggest you play some horns, and pick one you like.

My tenors happen to be silver (Borgani), but so were my motorcycle and my last car.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post

My tenors happen to be silver (Borgani), but so were my motorcycle and my last car.
    You drove a Borgani? Or was it a Lamb Borgani?
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Distinguished SOTW Member Turnaround's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

red cars are faster and get more speeding tickets

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turnaround View Post
    red cars are faster and get more speeding tickets
    Ah, perhaps that is the motivation for the new Cannonball.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ght=cannonball

It's all starting to make sense now...

But can you play a ballad on a red saxophone?
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No ballads, but I could play a work-song on a red saxophone. DAVE
    Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12