Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Prokofiev saxophone concerto

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  LostConn 
#1 ·
Before this goes too far, I should say it's Gabriel Prokofiev, grandson of Sergei. Gabriel is a British composer and electronic musician. This concerto, written for Branford Marsalis, premiered last year in Naples, Florida, and will be performed again this March with the Detroit Symphony. The concerto is for alto sax despite Branford's involvement, although he does seem to play exclusively alto and soprano as solo instruments in the classical setting. (Sometimes he plays orchestral parts on tenor sax.)

I suppose it's highly unlikely that anyone here has actually heard this work, but has anyone come across any thorough reviews of it?

#2 ·
Now available for your listening and viewing pleasure! I'm not sure how long this concerto video will be hosted, so get it while it's hot. I hope the rush of visitors from SOTW doesn't bring down the site. :)

Branford appears to be playing a Yamaha alto. I guess he found none of the Cannonball models he supposedly endorses to be suitable for classical music.

As for Gabriel Prokofiev, I don't deny that he's his own man, but I definitely hear traces of his grandfather at times. Listen to the S. Prokofiev Second Piano Concerto after this.

[video]http://site-323590.bcvp0rtal.com/detail/videos/new-on-dso-replay/video/5376828431001/gabriel-prokofiev-saxophone-concerto?autoStart=true[/video]

#5 ·
I hope the rush of visitors from SOTW doesn't bring down the site.
I got in before the stampede.

I hear some of what you reference in the Second Piano Concerto. Maybe a little Schonberg and Stravinsky feel here and there also? I'm not usually drawn to dissonance in classical music save for some Villa-Lobos preludes I've played on classical guitar. This piece, however, and Branford's playing really showcased how rich and mellow the alto can sound in the right hands. Like a different instrument.

#3 ·
What's that thing in the bell of branfords alto?

#4 ·
It's a sax mute. Designed to stabilize the bottom register a bit.

#7 ·
Branford's really stepped up his game over the years when it comes to classical playing. I'd much rather hear him doing things like this rather than the same old standard repertoire.

Also, kudos to the Detroit Symphony for offering such an excellent streaming service. More orchestras need to get on board with this.

#9 ·
Update: The G. Prokofiev sax concerto is now available on a recording: https://www.allmusic.com/album/gabriel-prokofiev-saxophone-concerto-bass-drum-concerto-mw0003299017. Branford Marsalis is again the soloist, but the orchestra this time is the Ural Philharmonic (never heard of it; I assume it must have been inexpensive to employ).

The sax concerto is paired with the same composer's Bass Drum Concerto, which I haven't heard but will check out when I have a chance. Concertos for unconventional solo instruments are very unpredictable. You can never tell whether they will be dull or surprisingly thrilling.

#10 ·
A Bass Drum Concerto!!!!!! What next?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.