Sax on the Web Forum banner

Contemplating selling my beloved Conn C Melody sax

7K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Peter66 
#1 ·
I have a Conn C-Mel from 1924 that I'm considering selling, complete with her posh Morgan mouthpiece because sadly things are changing for me and she's not getting the loving or playing she once was. Question is, what could she conceivably be worth as a fully playable C-Mel setup?

#3 ·
It's silver plated with a gold-wash bell. There is one very minor ding on it, but overall the condition is great - she's been fully re-padded in the time I've owned her, and well serviced. I bought her as barely playable, had her serviced to a playable condition, then when I was able to afford further refurb work she went in again. She's since had some minor work done to keep her playing well, and last time I played her she was lovely. I've even overhauled the micro-tuner and recorked it at the same time. So everything is pretty good. I will take some photos soon - too tired tonight.

#4 · (Edited)
As a point of comparison, I got an exact 1923-24 Conn C Melody in good playable condition (no major dents, working micro tuner, sealing pads without leaks, mechanically very sound), shipping included, with relatively minimal work needed (i.e. polishing the silver finish), came with a good modern C melody hard sax case but no mouthpiece for about $300 (which I consider a real bargain). Based on what I see as typical prices for similar good condition, playable ones here in the US, they usually go for $300-$700 (horn only). My guess is that the supply/ demand situation may be different in the UK. You will probably get a lot of money for that Morgan C melody mouthpiece, and won't be surprised if the Morgan mouthpiece would be the same value or price as the horn! Of course that horn might be extraordinary, and won't be easy to estimate the real value without photos. Good luck if you decide to sell it!

edit: My post came through first, and I did not see your latest post, sorry you already answered most of the things I mentioned. You probably can get much more for that horn based on it's excellent condition particularly if the Morgan is part of the deal!

#6 ·
I'd hazard a guess that as C-mel mouthpieces (good ones) are like hens teeth here in the UK I'll nearly cover what I paid for a little over a year ago. It's really hard to know though until I actually bite the bullet and decide to sell whether it'll be worth selling as a package deal or as separates.

#7 ·
I would not split the sale of the sax without the mouthpiece
C mels are common horns and a good mouthpiece like the Morgan is for sure a very good added value and could help the sale, imo

#8 ·
Sold mine recently in the US for for a net of around $800 (after sale of a horn I took in trade) in the past month or so. Same vintage, great condition, and a professional overhaul a few years ago with very few hours since the overhaul.

#13 ·
Bass, bari and Bb-tenor saxes are usually hes*; C-tenor and alto saxes are shes; sopranos can swing either way — the straight soprano is a he and the curved soprano is a she; sopraninos are like children…

*One of my baris is male; but the other is definitely female.

#14 ·
While I'm not ready to sell my C melodys yet, I note that my silver plated Conn sounds different than my gold plated Conn, both in fine condition of similar vintage. Elmer Beechler sold me two prototype metal C sax mouthpieces, based on his tenor designs, which may be of interest. I did not see any evidence that he produced more of them.

#15 ·
Hrmmm.....No one has made mention of whether or not this is a CG Conn New Wonder I or a New Wonder II??

The New Wonder II has an alto neck with a tuner and rolled tone holes with the crosshatched key on the table.

Any of this ringing a bell to anyone but me? The older New Wonder I doesn't bring as much as the New Wonder II

#16 ·
The series one also had the straight neck and tuner starting around 1921. I think they went to all rolled tone holes a few years before. Series one did have the nail file G#. I have a gold plated one that has all the II features but with an earlier serial number. I suspect they had a gold plated body lying around and used it later on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.