ProOne Soprano?

Thread: ProOne Soprano?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ProOne Soprano?

An acquaintance recently suggested that I look at a ProOne soprano. He thought I might like it. There are several reviews of ProOne tenors and altos, but no sopranos.

Are there any SOTW members who actually own a ProOne soprano and could describe their experiences with the sax?

Have any of you played one in a store or at a show or something?
    Soprano: New soprano coming soon; Vintage C-Mel Tenor project: Evette-Schaeffer, Buffet-Crampon Clarinet: Yamaha
    Alto: Noblet "Face" model (Designed by Dolnet?, made in the Beaugnier factory under Dolnet management for LeBlanc under the Noblet label. That's the musical instrument business.);

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ProOne Soprano?

This review spends a lot more time on the unboxing process than on how the horn plays, and the explanation of the trident arms on the bell pads is confused, but I suppose it's better than nothing:

I think Antigua is taking a bit of a risk by offering a horn with a fixed straight neck as the only version of its top-line soprano.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, there are lots of pretty good shots of the sax.

Here is one where he is playing the sax.

https://youtu.be/mwwsPTOz56k

There are several other recordings of him on a Cannonball. There is a difference in sound. It’s probably a matter of preference as to which one a listener likes better. My sound concept is much different, so it's hard to get a read on what I would sound like.

From what I could find out about the sax, Kessler makes it sound like the trident arms are there to level the pad cups and they do. I read something by Peter Ponzol though, and paraphrasing he said that saxes can vibrate enough that bell pads flutter and, I guess, leak a bit. The arms are there to prevent that. Others have addressed this with two soldered arms, but they are difficult to adjust. The trident arms are easy to adjust.

I can see this happening on baritone, tenor and perhaps alto. I’m not sure about soprano, where they seem a little excessive.

A better pad contact is the reason for the rimmed lower tone holes too. A horn with no leaks plays better, so I guess I am all for that.

He suggested that rolling or rimming the middle and upper tone holes causes the sound to spread too much. I had never heard this before.

In the same place, he said he never cared for detachable necks, because the squeeze of the tenon is right at the octave break. This makes it more difficult to play octaves. I had heard this. I guess Antigua went with what Peter Ponzol designed, although one with a fixed curved neck might also do well.

And there are bridges between keys, but I haven’t been able see them to see what they do.

But, this is all techno-babble and marketing. Has anyone actually played one?
    Soprano: New soprano coming soon; Vintage C-Mel Tenor project: Evette-Schaeffer, Buffet-Crampon Clarinet: Yamaha
    Alto: Noblet "Face" model (Designed by Dolnet?, made in the Beaugnier factory under Dolnet management for LeBlanc under the Noblet label. That's the musical instrument business.);

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone yet tried this instrument?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged