Theo Wanne Gaia/Gaia 2 Alto Mouthpiece...
Viking Instruments
Hyson Music

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Theo Wanne Gaia/Gaia 2 Alto Mouthpiece...

Hey guys, its the Sax dragon. I have a friend who has a theo wanne gaia 8 mouthpiece that he let me try and it sounds absolutely incredible. I personally use a lamberson fmaj7, and the fact that it was up to par with it was kind of scary. Have any of you guys tried one of these, and what did you think? Also, I looked on the theo wanne website, and I found out there's a Gaia 2. Is it any better? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Theo Wanne Gaia/Gaia 2 Alto Mouthpiece...

I play a Gaia (1) on soprano and it's incredible. Never tried the alto or tenor versions though.
    SAXES: Soprano: Yanagisawa S880 with Theo Wanne HR Gaia 11 | Alto: Yamaha YAS62 "Purple Logo" with Theo Wanne HR & metal Durga 9 | Tenor: Selmer Serie III (with Warburton Modular Neck) & B&S Medusa with Theo Wanne metal Durga 9 & 10MFAN Boss 9* | WIND CONTROLLERS: Yamaha WX5 & AKAI EWI4000S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Gaia (1) #8 for alto, though I don't play it, it sit's in the drawer, need to get around to selling it. It's a great mpc, you can get really loud on it, play's nice softly too, nice fat, thick sound, easy to play the low register, fat palm keys, easy to play altissimo, beak is comfortable to play on.

Only complaint is I don't like the ligature that it came with...All in all out of 10...it's a 10...I have a Lamberson fmaj7 also, got to sell that too, the gaia plays much better than the Lamberson.

Actually the Gaia play's similar to a New York Meyer Bros 5M alto mpc that I once had, and very much regret selling it. There's a NY Meyer Bros on ebay right now selling for $3500...I'll have to play the Gaia again now,ha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention that I have not played the Gaia (2)...I don't see how it could be that much better than the (1).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play an Fmaj7 and tried a friend's Gaia 7 which he loaned me. I prefer the Fmaj7, but that may be because I'm used to it. I will probably still get a Gaia as a backup.

My friend also loaned me a Wanne Meyer Bros 6. The tip opening was too small for me but after playing it I came away with the feeling that if were more open it might be just as good as the Gaia.
    Ken

Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Gaia 8 alto piece I reviewed was amazing. I didn't buy it because I was afraid it was too open for me but I have missed that mouthpiece since I sent it back. It had a huge sound! I haven't tried the Gaia2 yet but I have have a Gaia soprano piece and just got a Gaia2 soprano and they are very different playing mouthpieces for me. The Gaia is much brighter and likes harder reeds and the Gaia 2 is darker and likes softer reeds than the Gaia. This is the first I have heard of the Gaia 2 for alto......now I'm curious........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    I have a Gaia (1) #8 for alto, though I don't play it, it sit's in the drawer, need to get around to selling it. It's a great mpc, you can get really loud on it, play's nice softly too, nice fat, thick sound, easy to play the low register, fat palm keys, easy to play altissimo, beak is comfortable to play on.

Only complaint is I don't like the ligature that it came with...All in all out of 10...it's a 10...I have a Lamberson fmaj7 also, got to sell that too, the gaia plays much better than the Lamberson.

Actually the Gaia play's similar to a New York Meyer Bros 5M alto mpc that I once had, and very much regret selling it. There's a NY Meyer Bros on ebay right now selling for $3500...I'll have to play the Gaia again now,ha.
    what do you play as your main piece?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play on a Phil-Tone Rift .086" and use Vandoren V16 2 1/2 reeds and it play's amazing! hard to beat!...but I'm always looking for anything meyerish for alto, so my next purchase will be for a Ted Klum NY model 'GS Special' that you can get via www.getasax.com, as it's supposed to be a perfect fit for a King Super 20 alto. I want to see what that play's like.