Viking
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Tenor MPC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dark Tenor MPC

Also try the JJ with a thicker reed. It might darken the tone a bit.
    Conn 10M #272XXX - Siebold Heritage 7*, Allen 10E, Allen 20TD, Brilhart Ebolin, and some more...
    depending on my mood and the weather.
    Conn New Wonder #144XXX tenor: Brilhart Hard Rubber 4*

Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorMatherExp View Post
    I am pretty content with what I am playing on, but I am just curious as to what people would recommend to achieve a darker tone.

I am currently playing on a Jody Jazz HR*
    There are also darker and brighter cuts of reeds available. You could go with a darker cut and maybe a Rovner ligature and see what that does to the sound. Not sure what you are playing on now........

Forum Contributor 2014-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Sorry bluto, but I must disagree with you: in my experience, Jody Jazz HR* pieces are among the brightest ever made, and certainly nowhere near as dark as any Link. HR Links have a medium-large chamber, whereas JJ HR* tenor pieces have very small chambers which make them play brightly — and sharp on Conn tenors.

There are many modern pieces which play dark and fulltoned — e.g., Phil-Tone Eclipse, 10Mfan Robusto HR, MacSax D-Jazz and Aura, PPT Onyxite, Benjamin Allen TD, Link STM, Berg Larsen SS STM, Dukoff Miami LD…… — but no Jody Jazz piece is among them.
    S'O.K. Mike T. These are opinions, not facts. I stand by my impressions.

I also agree with several posters who said that you can moderate the sound of a piece with different reeds or technique. I do. Jody Jazz claims their HR* is a medium chamber. It does look on the smallish side to me, but that doesn't mean it has to be bright. I have 4 JJ HR* tenor pieces currently (6*,7*,8*, and 9*) and they all play on the dark side. The brightest piece I own, by far, is an H Couf "Jazz" model with a step baffle. It actually startled me when I first tried it. Hahaha. Couf Artists less so. I find my Vandoren JAVAs and Jumbo JAVA to be pretty bright and not too different really. V16's much less so. My Buffet Crampons tend to be a little bright, my GALE 5S also, (my GALE Triple Rail less so) and a couple of my M.C. Gregory's are on the bright side.

I have a pretty large collection of a lot of different brands and I do lots of side-by-side comparisons from which I've formed my impressions. However, I respect and recognize that YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by osloutah View Post
    Sold the 7* to a kid locally who, when he played it on the horn I was also selling, sounded Dexter Gordon-ish. Blew me away that we got such radically different sounds out of the same piece with similar reeds.
    Exactly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you like the JJ HR*, how about the JJ Giant?

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried the JJ HR and found it a bit too bright for my tastes. I found the Vandoren V16 HR to be noticeably darker but not tubby (with the added advantage that they have decent quality control). A Berg Larsen with a 2 (or 3) chamber would also likely be darker.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Tenney Jazzmaster for a while and it was a fairly dark mpc that played great. I don't think they are being made anymore but if you can track one down, that might be what you're looking for.

You could also look at some of the Phil tone mpcs (as mentioned in an earlier post). Ben Allen might be another source.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found and am now using Couf HR Artist 9*s on both tenor and alto for the clean dark tone they produce, especially on tenor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A rubber or metal link with a good facing is a darker yet flexible mouthpiece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play on a Florida usa Link #8...I can get as dark as I want, or can get very bright and LOUD too, it depends on your airstream and choice of reeds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phl-Tone Sapphire is like a good HR Link that can get pretty dark yet you can get some edge on it. The Saxscape xtra dark is the darkest piece I've ever played. Both great pieces.
    YTS-21 / Sakshama Florida no USA 7*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play a Morgan Jazz 7L on tenor. I can get as dark as I want to with it. The same piece opens up and barks with a really thick kind of old school rock and roll sound, depending on how I blow it.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the last posting. My Morgan Jazz 8L is wonderfully dark, but can open up when pushed.
    Seems like the Morgan pieces are not as popular now as I think they should be. Totally hand finished mouthpieces for that price...Wow!

Distinguished SOTW Technician
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play a Morgan Excalibur 8 EL, I can get a rich dark tone if thats what I want. Great mouthpiece.
    Mike Reed

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went on the Quest to Darkness many years ago. My classical setup is a Morgan 6C (.090). For everything else, I use a Lamberson J model in various tip openings (.100-.115).

Both are very receptive to fine tuning the sound with your choice of reeds. Neither results in anything approaching covered, muffled, or muddy.

Other top contenders that I've owned and played include the Phil-Tone Sapphire and Ben Allen 10E. Either could be my go-to mouthpiece if I had not been playing the Lambersons for the last 10+ years.

Phil is now making the "Intrepid", inspired by the Otto Link Reso Chamber, that would be an interesting 'piece to consider.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Distinguished SOTW Member. Tryptykon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Steve Broadus Perfected model that is pretty dark.. sounds really nice, though.
    I had to buy some 4.75 Gonzalez reeds just to be able to play it - it's probably around 0.70" at the moment.

I'll get it opened up when I get some spare $$ and then see what it can do.

Forum Contributor 2016-17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the understanding that you will get different valid opinions, I will give you mine.

If you're comfortable with your current mouthpiece, as others have mentioned, try different reeds. Darker reeds that I have tried include Vandoren classic & Hemke. A notch below in my opinion, but still darkish include Vandoren V16 and RW and Alexander NY. Of these, I prefer the V16, which I use as a second option over my favorite reeds which are Rigotti Gold (which are a bit brighter). RW are also nice but just available through Roberto's winds.

If you still want to get a different mouthpiece, I agree with visiting Steve Neff sites and going over the different mouthpieces review & recordings.

Like many here I have tried & own several mouthpieces. I agree with the Tenney's Jazzmaster as being a sweet dark mouthpiece but I don't think that they are for everyone. I would be hesitant to recommend buying without trying. I own a Ben Allen TD which is in the middle of the dark bright spectrum. If the 10E plays darker and as well as the TD, it should be a hell of a mouthpiece.

Now the one mouthpiece that I have been playing lately and has ended my search (hopefully permanently), is the 10M fan Robusto. Now keep in mind that in his website Mark describes this as the middle of the road, most versatile of his models with which I agree. However to my ears, having the opportunity to try it side by side against the Merlot, the Robusto was the one that had the "right" amount of darkness as the Merlot was a bit too dark for my taste. At any rate there are many options and the best thing would be for you to directly call the mouthpiece makers and try them if possible.

Good luck and may you find your "Holly Grail" set up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fltenor View Post
    If the 10E plays darker and as well as the TD, it should be a hell of a mouthpiece.
    It does and it is.
    Conn 10M #272XXX - Siebold Heritage 7*, Allen 10E, Allen 20TD, Brilhart Ebolin, and some more...
    depending on my mood and the weather.
    Conn New Wonder #144XXX tenor: Brilhart Hard Rubber 4*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12