1960 Super Dynaction Alto, Octave Key thumb rest and neck questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1960 Super Dynaction Alto, Octave Key thumb rest and neck questions.

Hi,

My new SDA alto has an improvised octave key thumb rest. It is ugly but functional, however I would like either to try to find an original replacement -which seems very difficult- or to have a copy made from the original.
    My first problem is that I do not wish to remove the one that is installed until I know what to expect. Have any SDA owners seen if the original part is glued or screwed?. I would be grateful if someone could post photos with the shape and internal fixing area, as well as indicating the approximate measures.

Regarding the neck, my SDA seems to have the original one by judging the very particular original lacquer tone and the shape of the octave key logo area. However, the logo is not longer visible at all and I wonder if it was originally engraved or printed (I have never seen any other SDA in my life) . I have also noticed that some SDA altos, I think the later ones, have a different octave key, with thin split shape and no room for any logo.

My SDA is one of the "rare" ones with nickel keys and is being serviced by a local tech. However, in my current location is very difficult for us to find other SDAs to compare, so your help is greatly appreciated.

Antonio Sanchez

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1960 Super Dynaction Alto, Octave Key thumb rest and neck questions.

Congratulations on your new SDA. I have an SDA tenor that I enjoy very much.

Saxpics website has many pictures of SDA altos. The link is below.

The octave key left thumb rest is usually a black plastic oval platform. My tenor has the same but since I have never removed it I will guess that it snaps on and off of a brass base mount that is soldered to the horn. Since the right thumb hook and the strap ring are soldered, I am assuming that the base mount for the black plastic platform is attached the same way.

My SDA neck does not have any logo anywhere on it. There is a bell brace with the BC logo built within the brace. Mine also has the logo black-lacquered.

The other two links below have great pictures of an SDA alto that should show you everything you are asking about. Good luck.

http://saxpics.com/?v=gal&c=951

http://doctorsaxwoodwinds.com/shop/l...tion-alto-sax/

http://doctorsaxwoodwinds.com/wp-con...7/IMG_5837.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1960 Super Dynaction Alto, Octave Key thumb rest and neck questions.

My experience is much the same as Nuages' I have a 1961 SDA Tenor and a 1963 SDA Alto. Neither of them has a logo on the neck/octave key, nor an area where one would be (as you would find on a Selmer, and many other brands).

As for the left hand thumb rest, they are both oval shapes made of black plastic - I think they are both the same size. I have no idea where you find one. perhaps you could made one out of wood, and glue it on. It is a fairly complex shape, as the side that is against the body is curved to fit tightly against the body. The one on my tenor broke in half 40 years ago or so. I just glued it back together, and it's been fine ever since. I believe they were glued on from the factory, definitely not screwed on.
    EllSyd

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ellsyd and Nuages

Thanks very much for your responses and sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes, I think I will have to have a thumb rest taylor made from wood in order to get the right shape to the body. I will get approximate measure and shape from the pics you kindly posted.

Regarding the neck, this is an example of what I am talking about: http://www.atelierwparis.com/tenor-s...ynaction-1969/ I dont have a photo of mine at the moment, however, the octave key has the same shape as the one on the link but without the logo (maybe it used to have it but it was erased).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My SDA tenor is also 1969 vintage and does not have a logo or plate on the octave key mechanism. I think the website is (French is not a second language of mine) explaining the steps the artisans took to customize this SDA. Mother of Pearl, finished emblem, silver plating. I am no expert but I have not seen an octave key mechanism on a SDA like that in the USA. If your horn has that same shaped octave key mechanism, I can understand why you are curious. Is your horn a relacquer (but it would take a lot of buffing to take that engraving off)? Maybe that mechanism is European-market only? Matt Stohrer (abadcliche) may know more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around 1973 Buffet released the S-series saxophones. This photo is of an S1 neck. Are you sure your horn has an original SDA neck? Does it resemble this S1 neck?
    Images attachées Images attachées

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nuages,

Thanks very much for your responses.

At last I received my SDA from the Technician.

Below you will see a photograph showing the shape of the octave key of my horn without a logo. No trace of engraving but the logo might have fallen off if it was glued. On the other hand the neck´s lacquer has exactly the same, very particular, Buffet tone colour as the body which has without a doubt its original lacquer. So I assume its the original neck as it also fits perfectly.

This SDA has nickel plated keys (including the octave one), which from what I have seen is not uncommon. It is in good condition and after adjustment plays and sounds incredibly well. However it gets very sharp from high D, which might have to do with wrong key heights. The problem is that this is the first SDA that my tech has worked on (and I think it would be the case with most techs here) and I do not have a way to get a well set up SDA to take the measures or compare it with. I have not found any info on the web. Maybe a forum member can help with the measures or with some close up photographs?
    Images attachées Images attachées
    Last edited by asanchez; 02-11-2017 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately it has been confirmed that my SDA´s neck is not the original this may be the reason for the serious intonation problems above high C.

I guess it would be very difficult to find an original replacement. Have any of you experiment with other necks with good results. I was told that the Evette-Schaeffer ones have the same shape and size.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gloger-handKraft and Aronson have confirmed that they can make a custom replacement neck specifically for SDA.

Has any one tried their products?