Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Note Grouping Book by James Thurmond

Has anyone read this book?

I put this in the "Rascher School" section so I could relate the following anecdote. James Thurmond taught for many years at Lebanon Valley College in Annville, Pa. When I was in high school in the mid-70s, there was a saxophone event there that Rascher and the other members of the quartet attended. It might have been a regional NASA convention, but I don't remember for sure. Anyway, one of the talks was by James Thurmond, who discussed his concept of "note-grouping" in some detail. As I recall the concept, one thinks of a series of, say, groups of four notes not as 1234-1234 but rather as 1-2341-2341 - leading from the 2 through to the 1, so to speak, thus generating forward motion in the phrase. Rascher was in attendance, it was a small informal setting, and Thurmond kept sort of poking at the question of whether the eminent saxophone virtuoso was aware of and applied this concept. At the end of the lecture Thurmond played an excerpt off of one of Rascher's records that illustrated the concept with crystalline clarity. Rascher then said a few words, which I unfortunately don't recall - perhaps he related how or when he first encountered the concept, which I believe he endorsed.

Anyway, after all these years, I'm curious about the book. Has anyone read it? What did you think?
    My favorite music is the music I haven't yet heard. - John Cage

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Note Grouping Book by James Thurmond

Yikes, I should have searched first: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...light=thurmond

And who should have responded to that thread but "Use-the-search-function" Gary.
    My favorite music is the music I haven't yet heard. - John Cage