Help need to price A-880 in like new condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help need to price A-880 in like new condition.

Hello:

My name is Scott and have been playing my Yanagisawa A-880 for almost NEVER. I need some help. Could use some advice on selling a Yanagisawa A-880 from 1983. I purchased this instrument brand new from Schmitt Music here in Minneapolis. I intended to learn to play. Well 33 years later I still don't play and that horn has been used for less than 10 hours. It should be put to use. I want to sell it but I don't want to give it away because it is like new. I don't know what to price it at and I was wondering if I should take in somewhere to check the condition. It looks perfect to me but that probably does not mean much. Your learned advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help need to price A-880 in like new condition.

I just sold a very nice one for 1650. I think yours is worth around $1800-2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of it's been sitting for three decades it'll need an overhaul right off the bat. I'd say no more than $1,100.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yani pads are very good,but it will need at least a major service....
    i suggest you take it to a tech for a check-up...it will be better for re-sale with a service receipt from a reputable saxophone tech...

good luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR....!

cheers,philip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone. Thanks for the advice. First order of business is the service on the instrument. I will report back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxyjare01 View Post
    Of it's been sitting for three decades it'll need an overhaul right off the bat. I'd say no more than $1,100.
    This is not remotely true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its one thing for a sax with well-used pads to sit for 30 years with the pads slowly rotting away, but the pads on this horn don't have the accumulated saliva and crud to break down the leather, so its almost like a new horn that just possibly needs oiling and a setup. I agree with Saxcop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too long ago, I bought a closet-horn Selmer MKVI soprano, made in 1972, bought new and then stored by the owner who allegedly rarely played it until she passed away. I'm guessing it sat in her closet for many years without being touched. Original pads, plays great, no overhaul required. DAVE
    Dave

Forum Contributor 2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think every saxophone will need something,even if a basic service or a full repad.....
    every individual saxophone would be different....
    lets see what the OP finds out on this particular one....

cheers,philip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    Not too long ago, I bought a closet-horn Selmer MKVI soprano, made in 1972, bought new and then stored by the owner who allegedly rarely played it until she passed away. I'm guessing it sat in her closet for many years without being touched. Original pads, plays great, no overhaul required. DAVE
    My experience also with "closet" horns. I had a 10M like this a few years ago. 1940, original pads, original everything. I fudged with it a little, mostly a couple of corks, and it played fine or as well as 10Ms can.
    One thing I noticed being original is how high the action was set at the factory. This horn had never seen a repairman bench.
    I don't think the older Yanagisawas get the respect they deserve so I'll say you should feel fortunate to get $1200 for an alto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxcop View Post
    This is not remotely true.
    You're entitled to your opinion, buddy. I don't agree with your assessment, and that's just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with saxcop . . . and that's why I posted my personal experience with a saxophone that sat for a few decades and did not need an overhaul. These things are not subject to hard-and-fast rules. Some horns that sat for a while may need an overhaul, but it isn't always true, as obviously verified by our own experiences.

All one has to do when finding a "closet horn" is to play the thing. If it plays well, it doesn't need an overhaul unless one is personally compelled to have it done. DAVE
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I took the horn to Schmitt Music here in the Twin Cities (where I bought it 33 years ago). The went over the horn, called it pristine and it needed absolutely nothing. So does this change any opinions or thoughts on what it should go for. By the way I paid almost 2k for it when I bought it.
    Last edited by sfoster4; 01-11-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Add more info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scott: I bought a new A-880 from Zep Meisner's store in Burbank, CA in the late 1980's. Zep was a big-band sax player from the swing era and was a go-to guy around SoCal and the studios. I paid something like $1300 for it, with a Selmer MKVII neck included and fitted, and shipped to Montana, where I was working at the time. My #1 grandson still has it.

Selling any saxophone requires that you price it right and at the same time find a buyer who wants it. That is a variable that no one can account for. You can price it above $1600 and wait and wait or price it lower and immediately move it. It is more about timing than anything else. DAVE
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. What is the best place or web site to sell this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sfoster4 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. What is the best place or web site to sell this?
    I expect you could sell it here pretty easily. (Hell, I'd probably buy it if I could sneak it past the missus.) However, there is rule about how long you need to have been a member before you can post for sale items (I forget how long it is, but I think it used to be a couple months.) Assuming you don't mind the waiting period, you should post it here.

If that doesn't work for you, you could take it to a local music shop that does consignment sales, or take your chances on craigslist or ebay. I've had good and bad experiences with each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    Scott: I bought a new A-880 from Zep Meisner's store in Burbank, CA in the late 1980's. Zep was a big-band sax player from the swing era and was a go-to guy around SoCal and the studios. I paid something like $1300 for it, with a Selmer MKVII neck included and fitted, and shipped to Montana, where I was working at the time. My #1 grandson still has it.

Selling any saxophone requires that you price it right and at the same time find a buyer who wants it. That is a variable that no one can account for. You can price it above $1600 and wait and wait or price it lower and immediately move it. It is more about timing than anything else. DAVE
    Wow Dave, $1300. Looks like I paid too much or my memory sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MLucky View Post
    I expect you could sell it here pretty easily. (Hell, I'd probably buy it if I could sneak it past the missus.) However, there is rule about how long you need to have been a member before you can post for sale items (I forget how long it is, but I think it used to be a couple months.) Assuming you don't mind the waiting period, you should post it here.

If that doesn't work for you, you could take it to a local music shop that does consignment sales, or take your chances on craigslist or ebay. I've had good and bad experiences with each.
    Wait a couple of months to sell here. Let's see, I have had it 33 years and it has been collecting dust. I am probably patient enough to wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sfoster4 View Post
    Wait a couple of months to sell here. Let's see, I have had it 33 years and it has been collecting dust. I am probably patient enough to wait.
    You need at least six months of membership AND 50 posts here. https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-of-12-14-2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scott: Most new band instruments are sold at a significant discount from MSRP. It helps to know the territory, the market, the sellers, and maybe be in SoCal. Or, maybe your memory is off.

A while back, I bought a new A-WO1 from a dealer in The Netherlands for something like $1100.00 under U.S. discount prices. If you just walked into a local store, saw that A-880 and bought it for the price they posted, you may have paid too much for it, but the retailer was probably very happy. DAVE
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast