Does What Ligature You Use Affect Tone? - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Does What Ligature You Use Affect Tone?

Yes. It affects the vibration of the reed, which affects response, and tone
    Soprano: Yamaha YSS-875EX, JodyJazz HR* 6*, Francois Louis Ultimate, D'Addario Jazz Select 3S Unfiled
    Alto: Selmer Mark VI 141xxx, Lamberson Fmaj7 .082", Vandoren M/O, D'Addario Jazz Select 3S Unfiled
    Tenor: Selmer Mark VI 82xxx, Vintage Florida Link 7*, Francois Louis Ultimate, D'Addario Jazz Select 3S Unfiled

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post
    If I wanted a darker (muffled!) sound I'd use a lig that absorbs energy, like one with fabric or string or rubber, etc. .
    Doesn't metal absorb energy?
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very new to this whole Sax business just 4 months in, in fact (who am I to add to a thread). I bought a Rousseau SJ6 mouthpiece and added a Rovner dark Lig, find the notes toneless really! so have switched to a nameless metal lig that was thrown in with the YAS, and its better, so am now researching metal ligs, as the thrown in one barely fits the SJ6. I would say yes a lig surely does change the tone
    YAS 62, Rousseau Studio Jazz SJ6,......Very Cheap, Carved Alto Saxophone Ligature Double Screws Nickel Plated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just today I changed the position of my lig ever so slightly, and it completely changed the tone to my ears--which makes sense, since it shortened up the portion of the reed that vibrates freely. So yes, I'd say the lig must affect the tone, even if an experienced player can compensate for such differences.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZootTheSim View Post
    Just today I changed the position of my lig ever so slightly, and it completely changed the tone to my ears--which makes sense, since it shortened up the portion of the reed that vibrates freely. So yes, I'd say the lig must affect the tone, even if an experienced player can compensate for such differences.
    Actually, to be accurate, what that particular data indicates is where you place the lig can affect the tone.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Actually, to be accurate, what that particular data indicates is where you place the lig can affect the tone.
    And if it is working properly in the place where you place it.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    True, but assuming that different ligs have varying morphologies causing them to sit ever so differently on the mouthpiece, making contact and exerting pressure in different places, it's safe to say the choice of lig could also affect the tone.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've gotten very ligature-sensitive in my old age. I used to laugh at the Rovner guys but now that's pretty much all I use. What happened was I discovered they can smooth out an extreme set-up like I play and improve response in certain areas depending on the particular lig you try. During the decade of the '90s I was playing a SA80II tenor with a Guardala King Curtis that was a good mouthpiece but as I found out later was not fully hand finished before being sent to WW&BW for sale. Anyway, my point is with a boring horn and a competent but boring mouthpiece, I found that a Lebayle 'Fusion' ligature pepped up the response and 'zing' in that set-up. I had several of them and used them for years. These were the gold ones with single top screw, nylon bumpers on the inside to contact the mouthpiece and brass 'bumps' in the reed plate for reed contact. Later, after getting my third MK VI and a different KC, I didn't need the Fusion ligs anymore - actually quite the opposite, which is when I started using the Rovners. With the Rovners, it never fails that the one I like is discontinued almost as soon as I find it, then they come out with a new series. Fortunately, the ones I now have seem to be very durable and have lasted a long time.
    But I really cannot see how an experienced player can say with a straight face that the ligature does not matter. Guys, all these small things we obsess about have CUMULATIVE EFFECT - each one separately has a very small effect but together they make up our 'set-ups' and I'm sure most of you would be extremely put out to discover that you left your favorite ligature at that last bar you played in 250 miles away. I know I would, which is why I have become extremely methodical when packing up my horns, even under trying and distracting circumstances - this is because these parts matter.
    Anyway, back to the point; a certain mouthpiece, a certain reed, a certain ligature, a certain neck, the shortest cork practical on the neck, a great neck fit to the horn, all these things add up to a major improvement in how you are able to play. Some of these items are indeed minor factors while others (mouthpiece, reed, neck and neck fit) are certainly major factors that can make or break your performance if you have a problem with one or more of them. Granted, the ligature is usually a minor factor but its still a factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a heck of a time with Rovner ligs. I can rarely get them tight enough for a good seal on my pieces. And the few I can get to work result in a much darker tone than I want. Metal works perfectly every time. I really want Rovner to work because of the simplicity, but they don't work for me. I have several collecting dust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 years ago I would have said they don't matter but after trying an Olegature there was a noticeable difference in response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
    Metal works perfectly every time. I really want Rovner to work because of the simplicity, but they don't work for me.
    The metal Vandoren M|O is just as simple as any Rovner (simpler, in fact, if you believe in lubricating a Rovner).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great suggestion. Didn't know that existed. Thanks

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.wwbw.com/Rovner-Metal-Pla...FZSIaQodyYIJng

Here is a good ligature.

It is flexible and fits mpcs with various tapers.

It is metal and very sturdy.

B/c of these features it holds different reed down well on different mpcs.

Still, sometimes the 2-screw jobs are exactly matched to a particular mpc and reed, and make it really easy to get the position right. And way cheaper.

Match the ligature to the reed and mpc to get the fit right, make adjustments easy, that is the end of it.

Poor match to mpc and reed or poor placement = inferior tone. Good match to mpc and reed, good placement = superior tone.

I vote with this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ghMCiV8hTg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After using many different ligs over the years my conclusion is that no, it does not affect tone. They type of lig and placement can affect response though. This is just my personal observations though so take that for what it is worth.
    Chateau TYT-753/1952 Conn 10M Tenor
    Chateau TYA-753 Alto
    Kessler Custom Deluxe Soprano

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, just for the record... new Series II arrived, Jubilee edition and..... the dimple is there!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, most definitely yes. Different ligs have different tendencies and can effect the way a mpc feels and sounds (at least to the player). I have always found Rovner style ligs to dampen the sound (they wrap the lig), this might be a good thing if your piece feels too bright.

I current set up:

Alto - Meyer 5M with a simple Bonade inverted lig 2.5 RR
    Tenor - Otto link STM 7*, Olegature 3 RR, HR Morgan 8L, Francois Louis Ultimate 3RR

IMHO,If you have a developed tonal concept I'd be very surprised if you don't experience changes with different ligs. Oh...placement of the lig make a difference too
    " Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you that you can't listen to other players. Live Cleanly...Do right...You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we own to ourselves." - John Coltrane

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really liked how the Rovner I was using for a few years would tame some of the brightness on a few mouthpieces I used to play. Guardala Studio, JJDV, CE Winds Legend. These were all pretty bright in the grand scheme so to me it felt just natural and sounded fine. I never really thought about it. It just worked.

But a few months ago when my set up completely changed the only thing that didn't change was the ligature. And I continued up until a few days ago when I thought maybe there was a chance my tone was getting muffled a little bit more than I wanted now.

I found a perfect fitting Rico H lig on sale and yes the difference really is night and day. I think Response and tone are in a way linked. If Your set up responds easier you will have an easier time playing with dynamics and tone.

The Rico works great on this mouthpiece.

The Rovner worked great on those other mouthpieces.

Nuff said.
    This is my sound. There are some like it but this one is mine.
    My sound is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my sound is useless. Without my sound, I am useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's something different than a yes or no opinion. I don't care.
    I've never had a review that said 'the sax guy's ligature sounded awful!'
    I've had plenty that said the sound in the venue was crap, or the sound guy sucked (or the band sucked of course).

I just try to sound 'nice enough' with what I've got at that moment whether playing live or recording. if I sound a bit different than yesterday, or not, I'll sound close enough.

O
    deadneanderthals.bandcamp.com
    mnhm.band

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ottoko View Post
    Here's something different than a yes or no opinion. I don't care.
    I've never had a review that said 'the sax guy's ligature sounded awful!'
    I've had plenty that said the sound in the venue was crap, or the sound guy sucked (or the band sucked of course).

I just try to sound 'nice enough' with what I've got at that moment whether playing live or recording. if I sound a bit different than yesterday, or not, I'll sound close enough.

O
    Wow...Just had a listen to Dolphin on your website...Cool. An your right...in extreme sound situation the lig isn't going to make much difference. Cheers
    " Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you that you can't listen to other players. Live Cleanly...Do right...You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we own to ourselves." - John Coltrane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does for me... I love my Rovner Dark with a yamaha 4cm.. had it a week now and I love it....
    But Im still a redneck..
    You can play the Blues through into the morning light, as long as your happy to do so...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast