Admin SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017- - Page 22

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017-

Hi all,

My name is Kyle. I'm new to the saxophone, only been playing for about 4 months and having a great time! I've played piano for most of my life but thought it would be fun to try something new. I'm a grad student in the sciences and I've found that learning a new instrument has been a really great way to relax and take my mind off of research and stuff. I've found tons of great information on the forums so far, really excited to learn more!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is John and live in the small town of Lititz, PA which is the epicenter of the top concert stage manufacturers and sound equipment in the world (Rock Lititz). We also proudly have the BullsHead Pub which was just voted the best "beer bar" in the US!

I played bari sax all through middle and high school back in the day, but gave it up after graduating. Now 25 years later, my mid-life crisis purchase just occurred with me buying a brand new Yanigasawa B901 bari and love it! I joined the local community band and am really loving re-learning the sax and music reading. It'll be a fun summer of marching in the local parades and the various concerts. I look forward to learning through everyone's posts moving forward. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see everyone else with these long introductions and I really respect that. But I'm going to keep mine short. My name is FY. I play sax. it's lit. See y'all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to play guitar and bass pretty well, however, carpal tunnel put an end to that. Lately I have been thinking a lot about picking up the saxophone. Today I decided to scratch the itch and I went to my local music store in search of a rental. They asked me what kind of sax I wanted. I had no idea so I just asked for the kind that John Coltrane played. I ended up with a Jupiter tenor sax.

When I got home I watched a YouTube video about how to put the horn together. Once I did that, I put the the mouthpiece in my mouth but nothing came out. I tried again with a little more of the mouthpiece in my mouth, still nothing. I tried a third time and much to my surprise a saxophone sounding sound came out! I pulled out the book I had bought and play the B, A and G notes that they had on the opening page. Shockingly saxophone sounding sounds continued to come out. I am now hooked.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. I am looking forward to the camaraderie and learning that are bound to happen on this site.

Cheers,

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone, my name is Chris Smith, I live in the New Forest in the UK. I am an absolute beginner - I started learning to play the alto sax 17 days ago.
    I am creating a video journal of my progress (hopefully :-) ) This is where I am after 17 days... https://youtu.be/PLU4L17FLDk If you have any advice or suggestions, I would love your feedback.
    Thanks, Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aloha!

I'll make this short and sweet.

I am a huge Jazz aficionado. I play keyboards, guitar and I played Alto Sax for a few years in my early 20s. I wasn't too bad when I put the instrument down for the last time after two years of playing. Gave it up and forgot about it for a very long time.

About six months ago I was gifted a Xaphoon and have been playing it daily since I opened the box. So the bug re-bit and I'm back with the Sax. Hopefully this time for good.

Mahalo!

-Billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Mike Ringle. I teach elementary music and band for my main job. On the side. I play tenor in a cover group with a three piece horn section. I believe that I used to lurk the forums way back in my college days.

I'm much busier now than I ever was back then. I have 4 kids, a wife, and 6 pets.

I hope to find some new inspiration to practice and find my sound again!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Mike. I've got the story often told about having played Bb horns 15-20 years ago and picking them back up now. Been fiddling lately with an old student clarinet to get the feel back, but am realizing that Bird's Lament just doesn't quite cut it like it does on a tenor.
    Used to play a Martin Indiana, which was a great horn. This site has been a great resource for the ins and outs of searching for a replacement tenor and getting back into the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Arthur. After not playing for 40 years, I've decided to clean up my Selmer MK VI and start playing again. I'll probably just join a local band before I venture back into jazz, which I was waaaaay into back when I played. Surprisingly enough, my sax "may" not need a complete, bottoms-up refurb. Haven't conducted a leak test, but the resonators look to still be in good shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Names Andre. New to the sax. Always loved the sound of the saxophone and finally decided to dive in. Without knowing anything I bought two old horns off a guy on Craigslist for $30 bucks each. They had belonged to his grandfather and had been hanging by wires on the wall in his house. His grandfather had toured with them in the late 20's and early 30's. The guy threw in a little leather bound tour diary that his grandfather kept venues, dates, and music/playlist kind of stuff in from April thru December of 1930. The instruments looked pretty bad cosmetically but appeared to be in physically good condition. I did some research and learned that 1. they were both unplayable and 2. one is a 1925 Conn New Wonder series II Alto, silver plate with gold in the bell and the other is a 1923 Conn New Wonder series I Soprano , silver plate with gold in the bell. I found a local saxophone refurbisher and dropped them off for complete overhauls. I just got the alto back (it's beautiful) and have started lessons. Love the sound of the sax. Love the history of this horn. Found this forum and have been reading about instrument care and handling. Looks like a cool group. So I joined. Looking forward to this next step in my musical journey and to learning from all of your experiences.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22