[Admin] SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017- - Page 7

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017-

Hi There!

I am a former player looking to (welp) get rid of two saxophones I played in high school. These instruments were last played in 2008. I have one Selmer AS300 and one Yanagisawa A9930. I'll be creating a separate post asking for suggestions on how I should go about selling these pieces.

Thanks for reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi one and all. Jill of all trades mistress of none woodwind player. Sax and flute mainly and have also been known to play fiddle, guitar and drums from time to time. In my (very precious) spare time I like to cycle, walk, do a bit of climbing/bouldering, the occasional duathlon when I'm not in some pub or other and am active within my local CAMRA branch.
    Last edited by HopMonster; 04-08-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings All! This is James Fleet. I'm honored to be a member of SOTW. I play alto and tenor sax, flute, and piano. I'm a working musician living in Brooklyn, NY. My background is pretty deep, saxophone-wise, but I'll share it with you: I first learned to play guitar from my father; Biddy Fleet, who was a prominent jazz guitarist during the golden days of swing and bop. My dad was also Charlie Parker's teacher, helping Parker to improvise and play passing tones on a song called Cherokee, back in Harlem in 1939. Parker would cite my dad as one of his main influences to his musical epiphany, sharing his growth with the rest of the world. So, I had the same teacher as Bird. I switched from guitar to alto sax when I was 12 years old. I just fell in love with the saxophone, and the journey has been off and on since then. There's more to my story but I'll save that for another time. I'm just glad to be in the number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bought my first tenor sax after not having played in 50 years(!). I'm looking forward to getting back into the instrument and learning from this fine group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James, that's the coolest story I've read here in a while!
    Welcome to SOTW.

Quote Originally Posted by biddybop 7 View Post
    Greetings All! This is James Fleet. I'm honored to be a member of SOTW. I play alto and tenor sax, flute, and piano. I'm a working musician living in Brooklyn, NY. My background is pretty deep, saxophone-wise, but I'll share it with you: I first learned to play guitar from my father; Biddy Fleet, who was a prominent jazz guitarist during the golden days of swing and bop. My dad was also Charlie Parker's teacher, helping Parker to improvise and play passing tones on a song called Cherokee, back in Harlem in 1939. Parker would cite my dad as one of his main influences to his musical epiphany, sharing his growth with the rest of the world. So, I had the same teacher as Bird. I switched from guitar to alto sax when I was 12 years old. I just fell in love with the saxophone, and the journey has been off and on since then. There's more to my story but I'll save that for another time. I'm just glad to be in the number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy to join the community!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guto View Post
    James, that's the coolest story I've read here in a while!
    Welcome to SOTW.
    Thanks Guto, it's The Truth!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my saxophone. Its really pretty and shinny all over. Sounds pretty good too. 40 years ago I played an old Conn Sax, then I had kids, they persistently wanted to eat. So I quit playing the sax and became a software engineer all the while wanting to be a Jazz bum. Thankfully they grew up. Not so thank fully their Mother went with them. I was at Starbucks 2 months ago a guy there gave me an old alto sax. Ah hah! now I can become a sax bum. Then, my daughter ( a genomics research scientist , heard about it and said, " Daaddddy, I want you to have a better saxophone, because we love JAZZ." So they did and now Ive got to really follow through. I was an old Army Sarg, NSA, Russian Linguist, software engineer. But now I have a new goal, to become a JAZZ Bum, with shades and a funcky hat playing far out Gospel worship jazz and just plasin ole Bluesy Jazz where ever peeps will let me. 8{> beard and rose colored glasses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi There....

I've been visiting SOTW for some time now.... I've read so many things on SOTW and learned so much from you guys, I decided to cooperate more actively.

I recently started college on a Music degree.... but I've been playing sax as a hobby for several years. My main Sax is the Bari..... and I'm from the beautiful Tropical Island of Puerto Rico..... home of Miguel Zenon, And David Sanchez.

Hope to contribute...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there, my name is Ben. Humble alto sax player, I'm here to get tips and be part of the community (I move a lot and it's difficult to see other players IRL).

Hope I'll be able to contribute !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello I'm a sax player . Thought I would join. Hope to find useful information as well as pass on useful information. Been playing the sax since the sixth grade. In my fortys now. Still jamming. My all time favorite piece to play is The Pink Panther by Henry Mancini.... Love that song on the sax....You can call me "B". That's my nickname since birth..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all.. A lurker that finally decided to join. A "Late Bloomer" who has more questions than answers. A total newbie in fact. I look forward to learning from you all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone, glad to finally introduce myself and participate a little! My name is Caleb, primarily an alto player, but occasionally you can find me playing tenor, soprano, flute, or trumpet (apologetically). Hope to get into some good discussions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hola! Life long trumpeter, golfer, and 6 month saxophonist! Look forward to the life long learning and engagement with SOTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi my name is Cristian beginner,started 9 months ago,progressing very well i might dare to say.i curently own an alto yanagisawa wo01 with yani mouthpiece no 6,rovner dar ligature and no 3 vandoren java green reeds.any thoughts advice?thanks and happy to be here with passionated people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, I'm new! I just popped out of the womb of a Bass sax and voilÃ* arrived here on the sax's web!
    I love all things saxy, been playing now since 1979.
    I have a
    61 sorprano
    62 alto
    Conn straight-neck C from 1922
    Dolnet Tenor from 1956 that I love but cannot play an altÃ*ssimo G to save it's life...any suggestions there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello sax community
    Strictly speaking I'm not a new member and had another account under gsnell but I forgot my password and then lost access to my email account so I set another account up, hope that's ok Admin??
    I do some sketching of sax players mostly for fun, is there anywhere on this forum I could show my art, my Avatar is an example of my work.
    Also I play tenor and soprano sax and live in the UK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys! Nice to join the sax community. Being a student I'm playing a Bundy Selmer searching though to purchase a better. Recently i've tried a Dolnet probably from the late 60's or early 70's which had a very good intonation, a beautiful big sound and was in perfect condition for a vintage instrument; almost like a new one! Silver plated and recently fully overhauled seemed to look exactly like a Bel air(after having seen a few pics in the internet). Yet it had a Universal sign just above the Dolnet sign on the side of the bell (not in front of the bell like in some photos i went through in the net conserning Universal models). S/N was 80xxxC and the guy who's selling it bought it from the first owner who told him that he purchased it in 1968 and that it is a Bel air model.
    My question is if it could be a Bel air according to its serial number 80xxxC dispite of the Universal sign.
    Does anyone have some information about those instruments? Information is not so clear in the net about Dolnet models and s/n.

Thank you in advanced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been lurking around these forums for years but finally making a post!