[Admin] SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017- - Page 17

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017-

Hi, this is Moradan, playing tenor and, recently, Roland AE-10.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! My name is Louie. I have been a saxophonist now for a little over 15 years. I play mostly vintage horns, Conn to be specific. Thanks for allowing me to take part in this group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello there. I forget exactly when I joined, though left fairly quickly due to personal reasons. I'm back, now, though, and hoping to get started with my tenor, which was one of my biggest dreams when I was younger. I was always discouraged by my prissy, arrogant parents who would rather I play the violin than a sax. Now that I am almost 39, I finally have my dream instrument, but I am not entirely sure how to get started.

I live in a very rural community in Tasmania, the closest instructor almost 4 hours away. Skype lessons, while a good idea, are way more than I can afford right now, and with our spotty internet... I also am missing 10 teeth, my top front ones extracted years ago due to severe acid reflux disease that ate away the enamel, causing them to break. I've been told it's impossible to play the sax without front teeth, likewise, I've been told that's just a bunch of bull. A partial is going to set me back over 2K and I don't have that kind of cash; I may never get a partial, to be quite honest.

And the really fun one: I have struggled with a learning disability for most of my life, including a form of dyslexia. I have never been able to read sheet music, not when I played violin, flute, guitar or mandolin. Never. I always had to learn little bits of a song at a time, memorize it, move on to the next section, memorize it...etc... It's fiddly, but the only way I'm able to learn. I can imagine it would be difficult to find an instructor, if ever I could afford one, who would be patient enough to teach me in this manner.

Would love some tips on hoe to get started and, please, don't tell me just "give up" because that doesn't help. This instrument has been my dream for over 30 years and though I know I will never be some sort of prodigy, I still want to be able to learn to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone

Perhaps the first new member, I'v registered in 2018! Based out of France, I'm playing Bb Tenor & Sop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'day.

I am a "late bloomer" from Australia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting again after 15 years ,would have probably still been playing if i had the internet back then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi…
    I'm a music student from Australia. Have found this place a very useful source of information for a while and thought i'd join.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhiana,
    Your biggest problem is going to be building an embouchure.
    You need to have a firm support for the top of the mouthpiece. This means you will have to build up the muscles in your upper lip. You may be able to do this by using your mouthpiece. Put the mouth piece in your mouth and wrap your lips around it. Then push down on the top of the mouthpiece with your upper lip, while holding slight resistance against the mouthpiece being moved with your hand. Release the lip pressure, then re apply lip pressure. Continue doing this until you feel your lip and facial muscles getting tired. Take a break. remember you want to build up these muscles, not forcing this into a painful experience. You should continue these exercises until you feel the strength of the upper lip become strong enough to support pressure on top of the mouthpiece.
    Your next exercise will be to increase control of the lower lip on the reed.
    I posted this response to ROOK TENOR, in the beginners forum, on his question about forming an embouchure after getting new false teeth. I think this exercise (after building up your upper lip strength), will help you see what you need to do, to strengthen your lower lip muscles.
    I really hope these suggestions help you to enjoy making music on your saxophone.
    Ed

Re: Building a new embouchure after false teeth.
    It's been a lot of years since I dealt with this problem, but I'll try to recall what I did to overcome it.
    At first, every time I tried to play, my lower lip would get between my lower and the reed. This caused a biting action, and a very sore (and sometimes bleeding), lower lip. I would have to quit trying until my lip healed (I didn't even realize the strain I was putting on my jaw and cheek muscles). I put the horn away, thinking I would never learn to play the sax.
    After several years (forgetting the pain), I tried again, and suffered the same results as before. I saw people playing, and I could tell they had dentures, but they played very good. Too embarrassed to approach anyone, and ask, I tried something different.
    I placed my thumb slightly in my mouth, with the nail laying on my lower, and my upper on the meaty part of the thumb. I would then "purse", or "pinch" my lower lip up, to push the thumbnail up off my lower teeth, then start to lower my jaw, so the thumb was supported by the lower lip. I repeated this exercise over and over; this probably amounts to doing push-ups with my lower lip. I could feel the tension of the facial muscles flexing, and realized that is what I needed to do, if I wanted to try to learn how to play.
    I continued to do this exercise for several weeks, until the tiredness from straining the facial muscles began to disappear. I, now, had the strength to keep from biting into my lower lip. That allowed me to be able start trying to play, and figure out what other exercises, and practices I needed, to incorporate into forming some sort of embouchure, with the new dentures.
    I hope this helps you to get back to where you want to be.
    Ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, names Nick. I play alto and just want to keep getting better.

Serafino

Recovering adult beginner violinist here. Not sure what came over me, but I spent the weekend reading obsessively about Sops. Well okay I've been in love with Marsalis on The Russia House soundtrack since ages. Is this a slippery slope? My feet are poised at the top, I'll let you know.

Nodeurs

Hello, my nickname is Nodeur, I am from southern France and a totally beginner in the world of music and Sax ! That's the reason why i've started a complete overhauling of 70 years old sax.... I play Alto but sooner or later i'll be playing Tenor too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Columbus, Ohio. I played trumpet from 4th grade until 8th grade, followed by one year of baritone. Know in my late 40s I want to play music again. The tone of a tenor sax always appealed to me. I never took the leap into acquiring an instrument and finding an instructor. My father in law died a few weeks ago and I was given his beloved Conn tenor sax. The time is now. Can anyone recommend a trusted technician to examine the horn and a instructor? If it helps, I am in Northeast Columbus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just starting to learn sax. I've always loved the sax but finally took the plunge and got a used trumpet rent to own. So far on day two!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anno....so you are a budding Sax player learning Trumpet, then ?

(sorry, couldn't help myself ...welcome to the Forum).
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all folks! I'm starting again after years that my saxophone was in the closet.
    I hope that this time is the good one to continue. What about me? Ah ok, I live in europe but I apoligise for my english that is not really good eheh.
    See you soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all
    Just recently got into the world of saxophone. Quite enamoured by the instrument but also a little anxious because of its complexity, especially in its construction. I say this in reference to the bansuri and the Andean quena which I'm currently learning. I started in my teens with the guitar, fiddled with the violin for a bit, got into a bit of percussion and now I'm into woodwinds. I am currently learning to use the reed and develop an embouchure using a reed-recorder type instrument called a littlesax, which I got from China. I hope to buy a real student sax soon from the used gear section.

As a person my mind and interests wander though music is always a constant. I like learning different types of instruments and hope I can master atleast two. Be a jack of all trades and a master of some I hope

Cheers from India

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like you are aware of your most significant strengths; determination, good attitude, and previous success. As a beginner myself, I do not have any technical advice related to music instruction. If you are in a position of being self-taught, then I would suggest finding a book with a CD that allows you to hear the saxophone played as it should be in the lesson. I used this method with the guitar and had some decent success. You are in a position of compromise regarding instruction, but not a position to compromise your dream of playing an instrument. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member here, not really a player I have one and play with it from time to time, I am mostly a harmonica player for 45 years, and a guitar player for the past 7, years and I play around with some woodwinds, sax flute, clarinet, for a few years, and have a B3 I fool with and a drum set . I rescued a sax some years ago it is a Buescher New Aristocrat alto Serial number 2636XX, it has a ** neck. I had a friend who was a player, re pad it and do what ever it needed, we think someone used linseed oil on it for lubrication, and it kind of solidified over time. It came with 3 mouth pieces, a Con, a Buescher, and a Woodwind Co. 36 /B5* I would post photos but I am trying to figure it out
    Mudster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, all. I should probably check in here.

Little bit about me; I first started playing in 6th grade on an old Cleveland alto, and continued playing through high school. Graduated in 1998, then started that fall at Meramec SLCC, where I played for three years. I then transferred to SIUE for the next semester. For a number of reasons at that point I stopped playing. In part because I was getting frustrated, discouraged, and overwhelmed, and that led to a bit of apathy. However I miss having music in my life, and am going to try to start playing again. Even if it's just half an hour a day.

My current horn is a Mark VI (low 69,XXX) I picked up my first semester in college (that old Cleveland fell apart on me — literally — during the middle of marching halftime at a football game in HS, and I finished off HS and started college with a Bundy) with a Berg 85 2M hard rubber mouthpiece. I mostly lean towards jazz/blues, and prefer the old school sound of guys like Hodges over the more contemporary edge.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17