Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017-July 2018

Admin 
55K views 442 replies 373 participants last post by  Harri Rautiainen 
#1 · (Edited)
Now, turning over a new leaf I'd like to welcome our new members to this community of saxophone players and woodwind aficionados.
This thread is for you for introductions and expressing your innermost wishes and desires.

SOTW administrators want to thank all members for your support during the past year and wish you a playful 2017!

#3 ·
Re: SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017-

Hey! I'm AltoMania a.k.a Gaston, and I want to be able to finally interact with this great community.

#5 ·

Hi, I'm Andrew, I'm excited to interact with other saxophone addicts on my quest to learn how to play jazz well. I can play classical just fine if not adeptly, but jazz is a different language to me. Also, i'd like to acquire my own horn at some point, i am currently borrowing from my school.

#9 ·

Hi, my name is Johan, and I've been playing the saxophone for about 10 years, although only as a hobby on an intermediate level. I play a Conn Baritone from the 70s, and a Buescher Alto from the 1920s. Hope to get answers to some questions I might have, and maybe I'll be able to help others as well!

#10 ·

Hi Guys I'm re registering after a period of darkness..I've been in the saddle for nearly 30 years and play repair collect and obsess over the saxophone and its applications.hoping to be of help offer advice source equipment and get help in return chasing my own elusive sax fantasies ..anyone know where I can get an Allen Loomis saxophone..??

#11 ·

Hi, my name is Lisa (aka Neysa01). I was fortunate to have music in school and played an Alto Sax that had belonged to my grandmother. Haven't played in 30 years but I'm excited to get back into it. My horn is currently in the shop for a full overhaul (cleaning, new pads, cork, etc...). Can't wait to get it back. My sax is a Dick Stabile Martin stencil. My grandmother graduated from high school in 1938 and played it there so this horn is at least that old.

#12 ·

Hello Harry and others. I was on this site in the late 90's and early 2ooo's while doing repairs and overhauls on woodwinds. Went back to school in time to retire. Now I am just working on my pet horns I have collected along the way. I loved the forum then and look forward to getting more knowledge and maybe sharing some I have. I am right now seeking the secret to making the g# mod I have heard so much about to my '39 Conn 10M tenor. Also wanting advice on the best pads for my Jean Cartier {Dolnet} Royal jazz model tenor. I played my older one for years, and think I used med thick pads with metal resonators.{Ferrees}. I hope to get my newly acquired jazz model to play as great as my old favorite. does anyone really know how to date these horns? the Royal Jazz has the extra lower side pad indicative of a low pitch horn, but no "L" indication, though the standard model does NOT have the side aux pad both have a C after the serial# {for Cartier?} That's it for now. I'll be reading the threads and thanks for listening. Yours truly, Tedward

#16 ·

check out ebay, you can get some great deals. check out these ebay sellers: greatlakeswinds and barrywin . These guys sell some really good deals on refurbished/repadded saxes. I'm setting up shop to do the same, but not there yet. hope to be up and running in 6 months. For Jazz, check out those 'youtube' play alongs for sax, they will really help you develop.

#17 ·

Hello, I'm Al. Just started to learn the alto sax (again). I started to play one 30 years ago and stopped after 4 months. I was starting to learn pretty good. Sadly I went to Florida and did not bring it with me. I gave it up after that and sold it. Well I want to learn it again and I'm determined this time. Looks like this is a great web site to find out a lot of info.

#18 ·

Hi! My name is Ben and I study Music Ed at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania (Instrumental-Sax) and am very excited to get to talk saxophone with everyone and gain some knowledge as well as hopefully give some!
All the Best!

-Ben

#19 ·

Hello. Andy Dahlke here. I am the saxophone professor at the University of Northern Colorado and perform frequently with the Philadelphia Orchestra. I also have a record label, publish music and design and sell saxophone mouthpieces. I've recorded all of Bach's Cellos Suites on the four primary saxophones and also published and edition of the suites for saxophone in the original keys. I like forward to participating, learning, and contributing.

#20 ·

I'm Dave Ross. Greetings and thank you for having me. I'm a flute player (chamber music, and principal with the California Pops Orchestra), and have bumped into this site a few times and finding nuggets of wisdom about flutes, vintage flutes and flute playing. I'm looking forward to asking and (if I can) answering questions about flutes.

#21 ·

Hello, all saxophone-players! I am from the Netherlands, a 66 year old, willing to learn to play the saxophone. I have not bought my instrument yet, and hope to find useful tips on this forum. I can start by reading lots of your posts, which will provide me with a lot of knowledge. I am looking forward to interact with players from all over the world in this forum....

#22 ·

Hi, Groovyman here. Just started to learn sax in December 2016 and loving it, Playing Alto and trying to blow a Tenor, but struggling a bit with that. Getting a smaller opening mouthpiece (Yamaha 4C) to try and stop the squeek........

#24 · (Edited)

Hello, Jeff here from Winnipeg Canada. Saxophonist with the Royal Canadian Air Force Band. Been browsing the these forums on and off for years, figured I should say Hi! Recently purchased 1970 VI, had it overhauled, playing great. Now trying to sort out mouthpieces...Argh...Thanks for all the insight.

Striving for tone...

#25 ·

Hi, everyone. I am Jeff, from Michigan. I am a middle-aged guy that has been playing the saxophone and flute on and off since 1991. To be honest I have had as much fun repairing them as I do playing them. I would love nothing more than to find old beat-up horns with thousands of stories to tell and make them playable again. But, alas, I work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.