Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone Here Own the Latest Model Vibratosax

5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Triggerbokie 
#1 ·
Discussion of Vibratosax seems to have faded away. Does anyone own the latest model, the A1S III? I see Meridian Winds in Michigan is the dealer and the price is $450 which is tempting.

#3 ·
Still have my II that I bought as a novelty. It's pretty challenging to play in tune around B2-C#2. Video says they've improved that with the III, but hints that it's still a bit challenging right there.

Still makes people smile, though I'd be hard pressed to break it out for something other than just forking around. :)

#6 ·
Tried one. Didn't like it. Might be good for beach gigs or busking in the rain.

I don't know. It's been a long day...

#7 ·
Might be good for beach gigs or busking in the rain.
As obvious as that might sound, actually, they might not be. There are thin gauge steel "axles" in the longer key rods. I don't know that they're stainless and it's quite possible they could rust, expand, and break apart the rods.

#27 ·
#20 ·
BTW, I said I had a Series II. Just got it out tonight to look and it's actually a Series III. I can tell you it's still pretty challenging to play in tune around B2-C#2.

Won't matter to a beginner, though I'd be pretty reluctant to use it as anything other than a solo busking horn in the subway.

#23 ·
I tried one of these a couple of years ago at sax.co.uk,not sure whether it was a series III or a II,it played ok nothing special but was incredibly light,felt like more of a toy and felt like you would break it if you pressed too hard on the keys.
Didn't buy it thought it was too expensive,maybe in the future when they have got it as perfected as possible and if the price comes down somewhat it might be worth another look especially as my reason for trying it was because of back problems.

#29 ·
I don't get it though, for roughly the same price you can get a YAS-23 or VITO clone in decent shape, or a True Tone or Aristocrat all of which would likely sound and play better, and if it gets stolen, you are still only out $500. The only real advantage seems to be a couple of pounds of weight for a horn that isn't that heavy to begin with. A plastic baritone might make some sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.