Sax on the Web Forum banner

Royal Artist (Buescher True Tone Stencil) Bruno New York rebuild.

5K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  jhammons01 
#1 ·
Here comes another Excellent horn rebuild. I love getting these Stencils chronicled for future google searches.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The Picture of the two necks, The top neck is the one included with the Stencil, the bottom one is the Trade mark Buescher TT "Man on the Moon" gusseted neck. You can see they are identical sans the gusset. This isn't really important but it should be pointed out for folks searching for off brand great saxophones. A Buescher TT C-Mel will go for $400-$700 all day long on Ebay whereas a Pan American will only bring $300-$400 on a good day. If you are a bargain hunter, sometimes you can find unsuspecting sellers listing one like this for $100 as they aren't aware that it is one of the sought after brands on E-bay.....AND many Sax enthusiast fail to put 2 and 2 together as well.

I have a couple of other Beuscher TTs hanging around. I'll take a pic showing the identical bodies right next to each other.

#4 ·
Everything disassembled easily. Either it was just that way or the Penetrating lube I coated it with three days ago did it's job. These old horns, you never know what you are going to face until break down day. You can see the original Kid white pads on it. I might have been able to make them work again, but that would be just for fun as they wouldn't last much longer if pressed into service.

Attachments

#10 ·
Hi jaammons01,

Is it possible to get the serial number for this stencil? While my emphasis has been recording the Elkhart BIC serials, I am recording Buescher as refeence.

I assume is has the usuaul Buescher markings? LOW PITCH and License.

Thanks,
Kurt
The Serial is
"Low Pitch"
Pat: December garble garble.....

I know it's probably the standard patent date, but it's too small to say 100% what it is.

#9 ·
Very nice horn! Good work. Better looking than my 1924 Buescher! Did you decide on standard or did you use similar snap on pads?
Are you planning to sell it?

#16 ·
marlmdz, is yours also a Buescher or is it a Pan American stencil? Either way, I would like to register the instrument. So far it looks like Bruno with the Royal Artist brand was going back and forth between Buescher and Pan American during the 1920's. getting as many as possible registered may be valuable in fine tuning both serial systems.

#20 ·
Jhammons01.

I know the difference. I am running registries on both lines. Bruno's Royal Artist line was stenciled by both companies. I am now on a newer computer which is capable of showing the pictures. Now I can see it is a Buescher. But would still like to register it.

#21 ·
Jhammons01.

I know the difference. I am running registries on both lines. Bruno's Royal Artist line was stenciled by both companies. I am now on a newer computer which is capable of showing the pictures. Now I can see it is a Buescher. But would still like to register it.
Where are you in Cali? I'm in Tustin....are you anywhere near the SoCal area where we could have a drink and talk about your registry project?

#24 ·
I know this is an old thread, but would you want to pm me some more about this? I have this same horn waiting on new pads and such, I don't know if I want to try the job myself or take it to my tech.

#26 ·
You can do it if you take your time.

Hardly anyone states that you can use the high heat glue guns to set the pads, invest in one of those. Use liberal amounts of glue on each pad for "floating" the pads later. "Floating" means, you may heat up the key and pull the pad out on one side, holding it in place as the glue cools off and hardens into place. This is better in most cases than bending the key.

Go get the thin sheets of cork at the crafts store that have the adhesive on the back, you can cut half moon shaped shims and place them under the pad in some cases.

be mindful of the corks that are already on your horn, some on the body some on the key rails that are used for "timing". If that piece of cork is solid, don't clean it off. If it is nearly falling off or deteriorated, then keep it so you know how thick of a replacement you'll need when you are assembling it back together.

Spend the money on a good leak light, I like the one that has a single LED on that flex hose. You can feed it down the neck and illuminate each hole as you go.

Get long pipe cleaners, use them to hold each key in the down position as you adjust each pad. That way, in a darkened room, you'll see the leak easily and you can go back and attack that pad to cure the leak.

Patience.

#28 ·
Funny, I have a Buescher over there in the case, but THIS Stencil has become my number one horn. It stays on the stand in the living room where I grab it upon inspiration and honk out a few melodies until my air runs thin.

I took it to band practice just before Christmas and though I play guitar in that band, I handed my guitar to guest player and broke out my Sax. Me and the 'real' sax player in the band played together all night...well...I played until my embouchure literally gave out, he played on a bit more. The guys in my band were all "I didn't know you played sax"....lol..."I don't" I replied. I was listening to the real sax player and just playing the notes along with him.....fun fun night.

The 'real' Sax player "Pete" he ALSO has a 1921 Conn with the Cherub on the bell and gold plated. We were having a riot while playing 98 year old horns in a rock band. Pete gets more and more intrigued with my C-Mel obsession the more he learns about it.....I think a few more months will go by and he'll ask if he can borrow one. I have a brass Buescher he can use, I don't care much for that horn to begin with.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.