Sax on the Web Forum banner

King S20 Eastlake Tenor Neck

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  danodownunder 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking for some measurements of an Eastlake S20 tenor neck, I am just prototyping some pure copper double socket necks and these are just about finished. it has been brought to my my attention that the Eastlake single socket necks were longer than the Clevelands? I am intending to make the necks available to fit all S20,s. Anybody out there willing to help me out with this?

Thanks, Mike.

#2 ·
I am not sure that it is true and if that was the case it might not be tru for the whole of the Eastlake run because the first couple of years they still had stuff made in Cleveland which had yet to be sold and was engraved Eastlake when it was ready to go.

It looks like it is pretty much precisely 27cm.

I measured it few times with a bendable piece of plastic, set in the middle of the neck and following its curved shape,

#7 ·
well, that wouldn't take into account the arch(es) of a neck, which can be way more or less pronounced, the way I measured gives the effective median length of the entire tubing.
You´re right but you see- there are different approaches for measuring, so I thought it would be helpful for the OP to define "his" approach to get comparable results with which he can work.

Would be helpful, too, to measure only the functional part of the neck itself without the socket/sleeve as I see it, because the length of the sleeve inside the body tube may differ between double- and singlesocket, but this would make no difference to intonation, waveknots., etc., but to the "overall length".

Correction:
this is not relevant here, as he only wants to know about the length of singlesockets.

#8 ·
Apparently the necks are 7/16 longer? If somebody can measure the neutral line throughout the whole neck that would be good. Also the internal diameter of the mouthpiece end. The single and double socket recess in the tenons are the same at 5.56 mm depth and also the diameters are the same at the tenon end. If there is any additional length i figure it must be at the mouth piece end?

#9 ·
I tried to measure the neutral line (with sleeve) as well as I could, but not totally precise: 454k Eastlake Silversonic: 26,3cm vs. 299k Cleveland: 25,3cm

This can be obviuosly seen comparing the necks side by side and the difference really seems to be at the length of the mouthpiece end.

Inner diameter at the mouthpiece end: both 13,3mm

Did you ask Karsten Gloger? I`m sure he has all measures you are seeking for- precisely.

#12 ·
My 4 neck measurements are pretty much the same as Sax0naut...using twine/cord. :yikes!:

1 Eastlake silver S20 overslung: 26.2
2 Cleveland silver S20 underslung: 25.2
1 295,xxx brass Zephyr overslung: 25.2

Also, measuring along the top center line (y axis?), i find that the octave pip location on the Eastlake neck is 9.5 cm from the end vs 8.9 cm on the Cleveland necks.

#10 ·
I own a 477K Eastlake with original neck including the original pickup. It is no longer than a Cleveland neck and shorter than a 460K neck that I had a chance to compare it with. When my tech overhauled the 477K a long time ago, I asked to have the pickup removed, but he didn't do arguing that there was no need and the sax played great as is. I have no problems playing the horn in tune and my tech has perfect pitch. Perhaps the 477K neck with pickup was a leftover from the Cleveland era in line with what Milandro suggest. Also, the lengthening of the neck on some Eastlake horns may have been performed to accommodate high baffle mouthpieces, which were probably in vogue by then, and not necessarily because the longer neck improves anything. I also had a chance to play a 426K once, which also had the shorter neck and it played like gangbusters. I will not profess to possess any expertise on the matter, but before you go through the hassle of making two neck models for single socket Super 20s, I might be worthwhile getting you hands on an Eastlake horn and test if the longer neck offers an improvement or the difference is the same. BTW, it is a great service that you are making necks for Super 20s!

#13 ·
I have owned 3 King Silver Sonic tenors and 4 silver necks. I ordered the most recent neck from the Eastlake factory arohnd 1973. All of my necks were single socket and Sterling silver. Two necks were made in Cleveland and the later necks were made in Eastlake. The later necks were definitely lo longer.
It looks like you already have the info you need, and at the moment I am slammed with work. However, if you need further measurements I can send them at a later time. I still have 3 necks, one Cleveland and 2 Eastlake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.