Sax on the Web Forum banner

EXCELLENT and very cheap STAND for KING SAXELLO (90 degree bell)

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  alsax63 
#1 ·
Hi all - I recently acquired a gorgeous bare-brass King Saxello
from SOTW member Kritavi, who I recommend whole-heartedly
- he is one of the most knowledgeable and reliable traders on the
interweb, and if you get a chance to deal with him do not hesitate.

TOP TIP - STAND RECOMMENDATION FOR KING SAXELLO

Product name: 'Octopus' (or 'Kingsman') GS1650 Ukulele Stand

note: the brand name differs, but 'GS1650' is a constant in advertising

also note they are sometimes listed as 'also suitable for violin' or similar wording

just do a search on Google or eBay for 'GS1650 Ukulele Stand' and you should find it

Available from: www.chamberlainmusic.com (UK-based), ebay name: chamberlainmusic

Price: £9.99 (about $12 at today's exchange rates - you will have to ask about postage from the UK)

Attached to this post are some pics - this is what the pics are, in order:

1) the Saxello on stand with safety strap on

2) the safety strap

3) side view of bell on home-made cushion, showing it sits clear of the stand itself

4) front view of bell on cushion, showing how the instrument's weight is supported

5) without cushion, so don't worry if you loose the cushion at a gig, or need a day or two to get cushion materials!

6) the cushion itself - could not be easier, a pocket-sized pack of Kleenex tissues is EXACTLY the right width and (crucially) HEIGHT,
simply wrapped in a fabric bag - you could use practically anything, like folded blotting paper, as a Saxello only weighs just over 1kg

7) the safety strap itself is useful but it's fiddly to get the Sax in or out of the bracket with the strap hanging in place (the palm keys
squeeze the rubber hook-ring on the way in or out), HOWEVER if you are at home or on stage and there are no idiots about you can
slot the strap in a little gap just behind the bracket - problem solved!

8) the stand folded down - very compact!

So - let me know what you think!!

A packet of Smarties to the person who posts a pic of their Saxello on this stand with "the Most Attractively Matched Cushion Colour" !!

Personally I think a 'royal purple' would look great with the silver ones - very regal!

However, mine is bare brass (did I mention that?) so it had to be black...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh I want it to be comfortable - they have a soul, you know!!

Also note it is not usually kept on a tall speaker (heaven forbid!) - just needed the light as took photos late in the evening

By the way have just noticed if you search for 'GS1650 Ukulele Stand' on ebay.com one or two have Free International Shipping!

Regarding the physics of 'cushion or no cushion', I invite others to discuss...

#6 · (Edited)
Actually if it was my horn I'd rather it feel secure than comfortable. Letting the bell rest directly on the rubber seems more secure than using a cushion.
In my experience more secure with - in point 6 I mention that a pocket-sized pack of Kleenex is exactly the correct HEIGHT

what I mean is it very nicely pads the void between the bell itself to the depth of the rim

the rim itself is still sitting on the supporting struts, but has something soft of ideal dimensions supporting the bell itself

in addition, in my case the excess cushion material the rim is sitting on provides additional friction, so further prevents possibility of slippage

as you will have seen from the photos, without cushion is possible, but CAN slip if not properly 'balanced' (by how you insert into stand)

however, with a cushion that simply SUPPORTS the bell area WITHOUT being TOO HIGH to act as the primary weight-bearer, is ideal

in summary, you want to fill or 'pad' the distance between bottom of bell and rim edge, but no higher

also don't underestimate the friction effect of having some cushion material under the rim contact points - hasn't slipped once

[Edit] (depending on the properties of the chosen material, of course, but generally speaking a soft material will gather or fold or crenelate {scrunch-up} beneath the contact points thereby providing greater surface area - that is the principle on which I make the above statement)

Anyway, I'm glad to see a few comments, and am sure the stand will prove useful to whoever follows this up

- the offer of a pack of Smarties for 'Best Colour-Matched Cushion' still stands

#8 ·
Soybean - any time, I know you are always an incise contributor

- in summary, the cushion is not the primary weight-bearer -

it carries some weight, for sure, and you can test this by reaching your hand under the cushion, but is mainly there for support

#10 ·
alsax63, thanks so much for the recommendation of this cheap stand. Went on to ebay and ordered one, Teton brand name, not any reference to GS1650, but identical in every way to yours......$20 total, incl. CA state tax, no cost shipping. My King saxello is now nesting in it's new home. Quite well made and attractive product, and I do agree with you about adding some type of soft support under the bell for a little added support. The only thing am not totally thrilled about is that one of the legs is rather much shorter than the other two, which means it wouldn't take much of a bump to knock over the stand and horn. Don't think I would ever use this stand on stage for that reason, but finally an attractive and reasonably stable stand to keep my saxello out ready to play (and for display) in the home environment.

Great solution to a long term issue. Much appreciated.

#11 ·
Yes I forgot to mention the rear leg is quite a bit shorter and I understand your point at a rowdy gig (stage invasion, anyone?)

However my main interest is song-writing so I only play at home - it's stable enough for my uses, so apologies for not mentioning this

Soybean - re: your avatar - are you the stooge on the left or the grumpy-looking instigator on the right? Now let me guess... (right!)

#13 ·
the first, third and fifth pics show the rear leg length from a side view, and the balance issue is this:

the stand was made for Ukulele, which is a bit lighter than a Saxello, which weighs just over 1 kg

- as it stands, the centre of gravity is approximately at the same level as the F# side key

this means that a sharp (especially DIAGONAL) knock at just above knee height WOULD be enough to knock it over

HOWEVER with a SLIGHTLY longer rear leg the centre of gravity would be slightly higher - I estimate around the palm keys would be ideal

- I just tried this by putting a double-cd under the rear leg (King Crimson, if anyone's interested) and it DOES work

the stand then, when pushed, wobbles a bit but like a Weeble does NOT fall over so easily with a higher centre of gravity

All this does however mean that the angle of lean is adjusted, but is acceptable - I won't keep a cd there as already find it adequate without

Soybean, I hope this answers the question - in summary a slightly longer rear leg would be ideal to raise c-o-g to around palm key level

To anyone else reading this post - don't let this discussion put you off, this stand is still a really good option for the King Saxello

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.