Sax on the Web Forum banner

Your tips for working with a teacher?

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  adamk 
#1 ·
hi -

I'm looking to take your guys' advice and get a teacher; any recommendations? they need to be working pros who play better than I do, which is most pros lol... I'm intermediate, need help on tone + growling, altissimo & improv

+ "lessons learned" re bad teachers to avoid?

+ "how to get te most out of skype lessons?

thanks, and happy holidays all -

k

#2 ·
It's not difficult. Find someone who plays well, communicates well and has experience teaching. I'll give you the same advice I give my kids who always blame their teachers for every bad grade or why they aren't doing well. "It is your responsibility to learn so no matter the teacher set your mind to learn as much as you can from that person. If they aren't explaining things in a way you understand don't just let it go. Ask questions! If you still don't understand ask more questions until you do! Although it's nice when a teacher encourages you, or inspires you, or makes you work or else, you can't rely on that and put all the responsibility on them for your growth. It is your responsibility to learn, to work hard and be passionate. This has always been my outlook and I think that is why I have always grown and moved forward regardless of how good or bad my teacher was." I think it is good advice but of course my teenage girls just roll their eyes and say "Whatever Dad! You just don't understand............."

Skype is pretty straightforward. There are times when things freeze up,a call gets dropped or a computer crashes but as long as both the teacher and you are flexible and patient it usually works well.

#3 ·
Be aware that your teacher may identify areas of "opportunity" that are fundamental to your development.

#4 ·
I agree with Nef and Dr G. First thing I do is have the potential student play for me. I listen for tone, articulation, intonation, and look at finger position, mouthpiece angle, how they breathe, are they using their diaphragm, etc. I get started correcting anything that is deficient here first before we even start talking about altissimo, growling, theory, etc. Can the student read music? Assuming you are 100% in all other areas, no problem, let's work on what you want to work on.

#8 ·
Find one whose teaching style matches your learning style, and who communicates effectively (to you). Some teachers have one standardized approach to teaching students, while others are better at adjusting their teaching to where an individual is at. The standardized approach can be fine if it matches your learning style, but if not it can be a serious problem. (I can give examples of this that I have seen.) You want someone who is efficient with their time and your time, and doesn't spend the lesson telling war stories or repeating themselves or showing off how good a player they are. Make sure you have the same expectations about how much practicing you will do between lessons.

#10 ·
Find one whose teaching style matches your learning style, and who communicates effectively (to you). Some teachers have one standardized approach to teaching students, while others are better at adjusting their teaching to where an individual is at. The standardized approach can be fine if it matches your learning style, but if not it can be a serious problem. (I can give examples of this that I have seen.)
+1!

#9 ·
One difference here from what Nef talks about - your kids are generally stuck with the teacher they are assigned, so they need to learn how to learn from a bad or mediocre teacher. When you are choosing (and paying) a private teacher, you might as well try to find one that is good and inspiring.

#11 ·
I agree with what others are saying- I would add that consistency is important- a teacher who's really committed to continue with you consistently and for the long haul. For me, this includes keeping me on task.

#12 ·
great tips; thanks .... there's always something to improve on; a teacher will help... I'll book a few initial single lessons with afew people to find a good match; like you said dr g it all starts with tone; developing that + fixing bad habits is a good starting place

good point about standardized/canned approach likely not best; need to id specific weaknesses & tailor a teaching approach to help... and listening to how well the person teaching plays on demo videos to make sure they're great players.

#13 ·
The best players are not always the best teachers. Some really good players are very intuitive/natural/talented, and may not be the best at analyzing what you are doing (right or wrong) or verbalizing it. Sure, they need to be good enough, but since you are hiring them to teach, not play, I would evaluate them primarily on their teaching ability rather than their playing ability.

#14 ·
You have to decide what you want from the teacher - do you want the teacher to build your playing from the ground up, or do you want instruction in specific techniques.

If you are unsure, then you can let the teacher assess what your needs are, and he/she will probably start with the basics, since even the best pros still work on the basics. And, be rest assured, you will be schooled in the basics for a long time, especially if your teacher is not proficient in the different sound effects.

However, most full-time pros can also play altissimo notes, flutter-tongue, raspy sounds, false-fingering notes and other techniques that impress not only audiences, but their own band members, regardless of their objective technical level. Its necessary, to keep the phone ringing, and the work coming in.

#16 ·
I've got my first skype lesson tomorrow; looking forward to it. main thing is improving what many here have told me re tone, intonation, posture; getting a solid foundation; thx for the ideas; "it's all about tone" ... then improv skills later.. going to get back to basics & woodshed til the basics are rock solid, which will take months+

#17 ·
I will say that getting a teacher for skype lessons is making a big difference, quickly. I'd been too proud/stubborn to get a teacher, trying to go it alone, but your guys' prodding finally sunk in and I'm thrilled to be working with someone I trust, who is helping me fix bad habits & play better.

There's lots of good teachers out there; I'd highly recommend booking at least an initial lesson to see how they can help. It's a bit of a hassle to learn how to use skype at first, but I got my laptop configured correctly and all's good. My new years' resolution is to really get better with the help of great teaching/mentoring. They can help identify blind spots/bad habits, plus add pro tricks of the trade I'd never have guessed on my own. I'm stubborn by nature, so it's a challenge to overcome, to seek mentors.

#20 ·
Ive done Skype with a few teachers. Some very good , some distracted and not really listening. So what i look for and like now is . 1. do they have a system that they use for embouchure, tone, breathing, etc. Its nice if they have something thats done well for their students. 2. do they challenge you yet be cheerleaders along the way as you go from beg to advanced in a concept. 3. Can they demonstrate what they want you to do /work on. 4. teaching me is like herding cats so my teachers have to remind me that I wanted to work on so and so and are were really going to do that or wander off on the topic of the week? 5. A good teacher won't tell you that you are hours away from doing something right but they will constant remind you that they are working for hours on something and its a slow process. 6. Most all my good teachers are just nice people. They listen, comment, and conduct the lesson with your best interests at heart. Good luck, my progress is many many times faster with a teacher than without. And lastly a good teacher is there to remind you that you don't know what you dont know. You get a window into their life/skill level/ playing. And thats key. K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.