Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bought a Lyon & Healy Curved Soprano - Who Made It? Buescher or Courtier?

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  chipcook 
#1 ·
Alright, just bought a curved Lyon & Healy soprano. Has not arrived yet, but these are the pics the seller sent me. Can't identify the serial that well since the picture is blurry, but I know it's a soprano and low pitch. The seller also sent me a demo video, and the horn has some leaks, but in decent shape.

What company made this horn, Courtier or Buescher? Any idea?

Liquid Drinkware Automotive lighting Barware Fluid

Wood Bicycle tire Automotive tire Elbow Metal

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Saxophone

Musical instrument Music Wind instrument Reed instrument Woodwind instrument

Brass instrument Musical instrument Wind instrument Idiophone Barware

See less See more
#4 ·
Would love to know the full serial number when you get it. Member Badenia keeps a serial registry of PanAms in the Conn section. Cutoe 'ol horn. Looks like a relacq. Also- keyed up to Eb and a round pearl G# touch. She's an oldie. Is the neck removable ? If not, good that the body is in nice shape, though, because fixed-neck curvies are a challenge on dentwork (no way to get a rod down the body tube).

Do have the leaks checked out.

You may well end up having to build a case, yes.

#6 ·
Serial number P18928 (P is almost gone, but still barely visible). So, 1924ish, based on established PA serials?
http://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnSerialsPanAmWW.html

Neat horn. And OLD! Maybe there was a re-lacquer at some point, but still seems pretty old. No major or minor dents or damage. I think more pads may need replacement than I thought, but still plays as is (with leaks). I will take it to my tech today and see what he thinks on repair costs.

I have held/played a vintage curved soprano from the 1920's, but these models still seem so much smaller than modern curved soprano saxophones. Neat horns. Hopefully it will play in tune well enough for ensembles.

#8 ·
Serial number P18928 ("P" is barely visible, but present). That would place the horn around 1924, according to this:
http://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnSerialsPanAmWW.html

Neat horn. And OLD! Maybe there was a re-lacquer at some point, but still seems pretty old. No major or minor dents or damage. I think more pads may need replacement than I thought, but still plays as is (with leaks). I will take it to my tech today and see what he thinks on repair costs.

Now, will it play in tune well enough for an ensemble?

I have held/played a vintage curved soprano from the 1920's, but these models still seem so much smaller than modern curved soprano saxophones.

#10 ·
Just got it back from my repair tech...he did a great job and this is a sweet little horn. No major overhaul, just a couple of pads replaced and tweaking. Intonation is just as good or very close to my modern soprano's. Action is a little clunky, but the tech told me he would have to replace all the springs to get it more responsive. Still, not hard to adjust to and great sound! This may be a keeper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.