Sax on the Web Forum banner

Tenor recorders

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Benny 
#1 ·
For anyone here who plays tenor recorder, how useful are the low C and C# keys? Are they worth it?

#2 ·
I think the low C# is pretty useful - if I were looking for a keyed tenor, that would be on my must-have list. (On my bass, there is no low F# and I do occasionally miss it.)

There are also keyless tenor recorders where low C/C# is realized through a double hole.

#6 ·
Likewise, I have the Yamaha tenor recorder with low C / C# (with keywork) -- but I've only had it for a week and have yet to get that note in tune. For me, it is really difficult to cover all the holes properly even though I have normal size hands and fingers.

I also have soprano and alto; they are easier.

#8 ·
I have a Moeck Rottenburg tenor - no keys. I have relatively small hands, and I can handle the C and C# holes (at last I could way back when). Just as in saxophones, I preferred the alto.

#9 ·
I've actually always felt better without keys when playing on the tenor recorder, especially when playing glissandos, doing intonation and tone exercises. For me the instrument feels more uniform when playing without added keys. If you're playing bass recorder then yes the're helpful, but not so much on tenor, in my opinion.

#13 ·
I've got keys on my Kung bass and tenor..they're pretty strong. I've had the bass a long time. I'm mixing my consort this morning although I don't own an alto so it's sopranino, soprano , tenor and bass. My nino and soprano are both Moeck in palisinder and grenadilla respectively. I also have Moeck soprano in Maple. I can hear and feel the difference in the grenadilla and the maple. The grenadilla is purer and richer with a little more instant response. I prefer softwoods on the larger recorders so I use Kung Superio pearwood bass and tenor. My next recorder will be a contrabass Paetzold in F.

#14 ·
Benny, I would take the comments on the site of Saunders recorders seriously.

While his texts may seem uncompromising at times - Mr. Everingham, who is behind the site, is an old-fashioned "straight shooter". I have done business with him and he's a gentleman who really knows, and stands behind, what he says.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.