Sax on the Web Forum banner

1905 Buescher Tru-Tone C melody sax, REALLY bad intonation on certain notes

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Sax Repair Crew 
#1 · (Edited)
1923 Buescher Tru-Tone C melody sax, REALLY bad intonation on certain notes

So, Besides the usual middle C and C# (and the high for that matter too) being... *mutters quietly* 2 whole steps flat on a good day... *normal again* G and everything below that starts to get progressively more and more flat. By low C, it is a half step flat, and by low Bb, it gets nasty. I have tested this with MANY mouthpieces, and for all but 2 tenor mouthpieces, this holds true. And those 2 tenor mouthpieces are ridiculously bright, so then everything else goes sky high sharp. And yes, I also used a bunch of different reeds of varying strengths with each mouthpiece. I testes a couple beginner alto MPCs, some okay jazz ones, some metals, some larger gap metals, a 110/3 Berg, and varying brightness in those metals. Also tried a few concert Ebonite MPCs. Same holds true for Tenor MPCs. C-Melody MPCs, I used mine, and several friends' MPCs to test, and varied reed brand and strength and tired alto and tenor reeds. Needless to say, I was really thorough, I have WAY too many MPCs sitting around :p, and this thing has tuning issues. Now, the important question. How to fix this? I got this thing dirt cheap (less than $100), and all but 2 pads are original, and while there are 3 leaks I know of, they seal if you press the keys firmly, which I did for these tests. I need to try and get this thing to match up decently across at least the low and the high octaves separately, I can lip the difference, but I cannot lip 2 whole steps up for god's sake! Within 30 Cents is all I need to try and achieve, as that is about how much I can comfortably lip.

EDIT: Am now in the process of obtaining some bass clarinet reeds to test actual C-Melody MPCs with, as I learned they tend to work best with them here. Thanks forum!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.