Which modern horns have the best tone? - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Forum Contributor 2014-2017 Dana in Philly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which modern horns have the best tone?

A sustained flurry of sixteenth note quartets, punctuated with spiraling glissandos. I especially like when the Clark Kent glasses come off, and the Man of Steel shows himself.
    As darkness comes, the center fails.
    Play until there's no one left to listen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamiejazz View Post
    I tried a load of altos over a the course of a month last year, and I was please to find that most of the main brands sounded good, including most of the horns mentioned in this thread. I like horns that feel fairly neutral-they get out of the way and let the player's sound come through, and for me the two that felt that way were the Selmer reference and the Yamaha 82z.
    I settled on the 82z after a lot of trials, and I've been happy with it.
    Good for you, JJ! My thoughts on this to an extent also. I lean toward a modern, focused, bit on the bright side sound with a "crackle" to it. However I don't want a horn or a reed, ligature, or mouthpiece that does it all for me to the extent I have to work harder against its tendencies to get the sound I want. That said, significant changes (without working too very hard with embouchure, breath application etc.) are very possible with different reed, ligature, mouthpiece -- and custom necks, i.e on the Yamaha Custom series horns! To me an UL Z ii or Woodstone goes all-out on the bright, loud, buzzy side and is not for me -- though I love to play that way *sometimes* -- just not all the time. On the other side, I find the TENOR black-lacquered 875EX sound a little smallish and mellow, if not really so "dark" in comparison with the ZZ -- especially the Z ii. Believe it or not (and I was not a believer), the silver-plated Z ii sounds quite loud and bright in comparison also, but in a different way from the UL Z ii. So my take -- a lacquered, or even a black-lacquered Z ii can do it all with the right choices from the assortment of reeds, ligs, mouthpieces, and custom necks available. To some people this means Yamahas are "bland" -- but to me it just means Yamaha has locked onto their sound (contemporary? all-purpose?) concept perfectly, and offers a very high-quality and versatile product(s) in their Custom horns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other obvious comparison being with the Reference 54 -- which to my ears has a distinctly colored sound -- more spread, mellow, darker. For "jazz", right? It got me thinking though, why so many couple them (and other Selmer horns) with more aggressive baffled/metal mouthpieces, FL or Oleg ligs, etc. to brighten/enliven the sound...hmmm...? For "contemporary" music anyway.

Haven't tried/heard enough of the Ref. 36 horn to have a definite opinion there. Yani's are excellent horns all around though, too. Many other makes have quite a distinctive sound. I don't often hear others say the other makers saxes are "bland" -- maybe Yamaha's "bland" sound is just the Yamaha sound...? Not that it's "bland" to me, but sometimes it's like there's just Yamaha, Selmer, and everything else...and with that consideration some might think "Selmer" to be "bland" also!...?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    The other obvious comparison being with the Reference 54 -- which to my ears has a distinctly colored sound -- more spread, mellow, darker. For "jazz", right? It got me thinking though, why so many couple them (and other Selmer horns) with more aggressive baffled/metal mouthpieces, FL or Oleg ligs, etc. to brighten/enliven the sound...hmmm...? For "contemporary" music anyway.
    What is "neutral"?

I suggest it is the sound of a saxophone with no mouthpiece on it.

For something to have a "distinctly colored sound", there must be some reference. What is it?
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Yamaha 82z tone. Although I prefer my 213XXX MKVI, the yamaha has a very even, smooth and somewhat focused tone with a hint of sweetness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trecht et al, I'm also so impressed with the Trevor James Signature Custom RAW- just a gorgeous, full tone! I've owned or tried the following, and nothing has compared with the TJ: Selmer MK VI and Reference 54, Yamaha EX and Z, Yanagisawa pro, Eastman 52nd St., Schagerl pro. I have not tried the Mauriat 66, Tenor Madness 500, Viking, or Cannonball pros, but would like to!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6