Sax on the Web Forum banner

Buescher 1910 C Mel Rebuild

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  simso 
#1 ·
Here is a new project to watch. This horn wasn't even playable.....I mean...barely able to get a squeak out of it, truly horrible condition.

My Grand Opera and a Bundy I are waiting on parts to arrive so, in the meantime, we'll start breaking this one down and cleaning it with TarnX and Haggerty's

#3 ·
Motor Oil explained.

I'll bet there have been more than one technician looking at this horn and then telling the owner to take it back where they got it......after shipping umpteen times across the country from Fleabay sales, it lands in my hands.

Luckily I have a donor Carcass under the workbench for parts. Not sure how nice this Silver will come out, but I'll give it the same love and attention that I put into the other horns and let's see if we can make something out of it.

#6 ·
Being sarcastic for a few 'members' on here with their insane criticism...but I digress, here is the final product and sadly it already sold on Ebay

That was a great horn.....I almost wanted to keep that one for my stable, but alas, one can only blow one horn at a time.

#9 · (Edited)
Being sarcastic for a few 'members' on here with their insane criticism...but I digress, here is the final product and sadly it already sold on Ebay

An internet troll is someone who posts deliberately in the hope of antagonising others into a useless argument.

EDIT: I comment on your post now, (7 Weeks after you started your topic) as you have just posted a video up referencing comments I and others have made earlier.

The insane criticism as you put it, came about from the lack of tool control and the use of multi grips to pull rods out of an instrument you did on a video YouTube demonstration, and then promoted that video as best way of doing something amongst people that do it for a living, of course you were going to get comments from people.

Then you post another link to another YouTube video you did, where you promoted the using a belt sander to sand a sax neck cork after using a dremel to hollow out a wine cork to fit to the sax neck and then state you do it to 5 horns a week, like really......

It was pointed out to you what you were doing wrong, the fact you have a horn that plays has nothing to do with quality of work, I do not understand how you manage to link the two.

It would be like me saying, I fixed ed manions sax in my shop (e street band), so in some way I am now a better repairer because of his skills as a sax player.

The two do not relate in any way.

Playing a sax and spruking off, will only get you flamed.

Steve

#10 ·
From what I've seen and heard... the horn looks nice. The playing is pretty weak and really doesn't help me to know if the instrument functions properly or not, maybe taking a video of someone who can play the instrument better, and then hearing that persons impression of the instrument would help, or maybe just practice until you are that person. BTW I too like to play in a rock bands, just sax though, no guitar. It may sound worse than it really is, due to the crazy level of effects you are using. When it comes to effects, less is almost always more.

#12 ·
From what I've seen and heard... the horn looks nice.
Thank you, I appreciate that.
The playing is pretty weak and really doesn't help me to know if the instrument functions properly or not, maybe taking a video of someone who can play the instrument better, and then hearing that persons impression of the instrument would help,
I'd love that, but I have yet to have a real Player offer to such for me. I'll look harder for future vids, I would love to have feedback from some pro
or maybe just practice until you are that person. BTW I too like to play in a rock bands, just sax though, no guitar. It may sound worse than it really is, due to the crazy level of effects you are using. When it comes to effects, less is almost always more.
I didn't notice the soundboard had been tweaked by my daughters singing into those Mics. Do you think flat would be better??

Alas, my playing, although I've even been invited to sit in with another rack band, I had to firmly tell those guys..."I'm in no way ready to go on a stage with any horn"

But hey, I never played anything live till I was 46.....it was a bucket list and it came to fruition despite most advising us not to attempt to play.....our first show was so well received that we were booked for 2.5 years with ~20-25 shows per year. I never thought that could happen either.

#13 ·
Flat is always better, because it shows the true sound. Playing out, add some reverb and whatever floats your boat, I think doing so in moderation is best, but that's a personal choice, everyone need to develop their own sound. As far as test players go, I get the music teachers, music majors, pro customers and university professors to try out instruments, if I am not confident with my playing ability. Like Bassoons and pro brass. If you aren't buds with any pro's then you may find local grad students to give you a hand. The thing is the sax is like guitar, in that a new guitar player won't be able to the difference between a stock squire and a well set up American Strat. It is the same with other instruments, so it helps to get experienced players feedback, in order to further ones skills. Invaluable learning tool really.

#15 ·
if you pay attention to your threads, you will note your only talking to yourself.

As far as trolling your threads, mmm, let's go with that. I responded to your quote in the video which was directed at me/saxdaddy/gordonnz and just about every person whyo commented on the earlier topic. Personally I own a conn c melody so I visit this section of the forum occasionally.

Let's just go with your a super star, just because the vidoes show differently is irrelevant, but hey.

As to what's on my bench, your list is only part of one of my days, times that list by 70 and that's currently what's on my work schedule. I average 50 instruments a week. For me they get delivered by the van load.

When you commented before you do those neck corks via a dremel on a house wine bottle cork and then use belt sander afterwards - 5 times a week, I know understand more.

I and those others that commented earlier, actually repair for people who pay us for the work we do on there instrument, It appears you repair viz eflay purchases and flipping that purchase back to eflay, so yeh, lets go with that as comparitive.

Steve

PS, we get instruments delivered via the van full at a time

Attachments

#16 ·
I was on a repairers forum yesterday and we were discussing yamaha, some other repairers that post here are members of that forum, so this photo has not been made up special just for you....:)

Here is my work i started yesterday morning and finished yesterday afternoon, every key off, cleaned refitted and repaired

That's three baritone saxes and three tenors. Nor a pair of multi grips, or annealed springs or sloppy screwdriver control amongst them.

And who is the judge of my work, the customer that paid me to do the job, the customer that gave me there 1000-10000 dollar instrument, Ive even had instruments here in the $49000 range, these owners examine there instruments for damage and marks, these customer that had the issue before hand are now test playing afterwards as a comparison, not the buyer of an eflay purchase - that reflects nothing...

I could imagine the horror on there faces if I posted a video belt sanding the cork on one of there necks, or the horror of me vise gripping one of the rods on there instruments, you want to self promote, thats fine, but self promote with quality work, not crap display and then attempt to justify that.

You want me to continue

Steve

Attachments

#21 ·
Hi Adam, I'd take those off your hands if you don't need them further. I have a couple of Bueschers that need a neck and if you have "The man on the moon" style neck as a carcass, I can rebuild the rest of the key part and make a useful neck.

I'll make sure to use a Wine Cork to repair them, the Narcissistic egomaniac Simso needs some more ammo to attack me with. He hangs on my every syllable from every post from every thread I make.

#20 ·
Administrator Note:

Two things, let's cool it a bit with the heated back and forth dialogue here, as it is starting to violate the forum rules of decorum regarding the way we treat one another in the respect department. Second, even with an altered spelling to slip past the swear filter, try to refrain from off color language since this is an all ages forum. I know one sees and hears far worse on a daily basis, but there ARE kids here and at least some have mindful parents who will (and have already) object.

Cheers.

#22 ·
Re: Administrator Note:

Two things, let's cool it a bit with the heated back and forth dialogue here, as it is starting to violate the forum rules of decorum regarding the way we treat one another in the respect department. Second, even with an altered spelling to slip past the swear filter, try to refrain from off color language since this is an all ages forum. I know one sees and hears far worse on a daily basis, but there ARE kids here and at least some have mindful parents who will (and have already) object.

Cheers.
Really? Forum attack dogs have been hounding me since I joined and all you focus on is the language?

Maybe look at big picture, your buddies aren't helping the civility of the forum nor are they very welcoming to anyone that brings new ideas to the forum. I started these threads due to the LACK of info on these Stencils that are on the market. I am here trying to help folks garner some knowledge on these so called off brands so that they can see what the potential of these horns can be. This particular section of the forum is DEAD without my threads at this time.

I find it fascinating that I have alerted "you" Saxismyaxe of forum trolls violating T&Cs and those alerts were ignored completely, I never heard a peep back from anyone. I guess only the insiders get any attention for "decorum" violations as the TROLLS found in this very thread haven't stopped.....they follow me around harassing me in my threads whereas if they don't like the content, they have every right to NOT CLICK MY THREADS. But see, their Ego and Narcissism coupled with "Good ole' Boy" status has allowed their despicable, abhorrent behavior to continue unchecked.

Just to close the loop on this topic then I am done, I've numerous people contact me through PMs on this forum and from my videos asking for more info about the Stencils I have rebuilt and chronicled right here. They see them at pawn Shops all blackened from tarnish and original 80 year old deteriorated white kid pads on them and they were curious to learn more but never found much out about the off brands. When they searched it, THIS thread appears and they contact me here or through Youtube where I offer all they help they need to first purchase and then refurbish the horn. See, that's the difference in being a helpful person and being an internet troll.

#24 ·
Re: Administrator Note:

Cheers.
Apologies, your right, two to tango.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.