Sax on the Web Forum banner

1941 Zephyr Alto

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bruce bailey 
#1 ·
I picked up a 1941 model off ebay and it has a weird anomaly, maybe someone can explain. My tech is over-hauling it now but I have a picture from ebay.
The anomaly is that is has a forked Eb tone hole that has a copper plug welded on. My tech says it's original lacquer and there's no visible guard weld marks or any indication that the key-work ever existed.
Could this have been plugged at the factory using an older body tube? Serial number is 254001, the first model of 1941 according to the charts. Shouldn't affect the playing any, just thought I'd throw it out here and get some opinions.
Thanks,
Joe
You can see the weld on the left side of this picture:
Light Fluid Kitchen appliance Gas Plumbing fixture

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to SOTW. Have you tried to communicate with the remnants of the HN White Co.? I have a couple of King band instruments and a while back, visited their website which to me, appeared to be still maintained. I have no idea why your alto is like that but I suppose anything is possible. DAVE

#4 ·
I think it had the common removal of the rear Eb. Often a coin was soldered over the hole and the keywork removed. I see a green felt under the E pearl which would indicate that the lever is not part of the E pad cup. Look around the hinge rod and you may see where the back side of the pearl E lever has been cut and possibly some waves where the posts for the small rear Eb pad cup was strung. When it was refinished, it could have the post mounting spots smoothed out.

#6 ·
It's funny, my tech did not think it was relaquered, (very old guy with 50 years experience) but I can't see how the posts were removed for the small Eb hole without there being marks, I think it was relaquered probably in the 50'a, but wasn't buffed out very hard the engraving looks great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.