Sax on the Web Forum banner

Phil-Tone Intrepid: Resochamber Chamber reborn

19K views 68 replies 25 participants last post by  dirty 
#1 ·
Well, it was in front of me all the time...for years. I got a Reso Chamber piece in recently and started looking at it. When I designed the Sapphire chamber I wanted a piece between a slant and an EB link. I also wanted a thinner table. Later I made the Sapphire special which is a higher baffle version of the Sapphire.

...Little did I know that I made a chamber nearly identical to the Reso Chamber. Ive been experimenting with rail width, lengthening the window which is quite long on resochamber pieces and I have altered the baffle design on the Sapphire special. Low and behold its a piece very much like a Reso Chamber.

I will not be selling this in stores. It will also take the place of the Sapphire Special as it has even more presence and depth.

Funny how things happen almost by accident!

Be well,
Phil

#35 ·
Re: Resochamber Chamber reborn.

Update: I gigged with it this week in a packed club - no microphones. It blended very well on section solis, and was a true joy for soloing - especially some ripping salsa tunes. This is good.

#37 ·

Bob - I have been using Rico Select Jazz 3 Soft and Rigotti 3M. Those just happen to be the reeds that were in rotation and they work well. I also had some RSH 2 Hard and Rigotti 3L, but prefer the slightly stronger reeds.

I have several boxes (cans) of DC 2.5/3 in the ol' reed shoe box, and will try some soon.

#40 ·

Bob - I have been using Rico Select Jazz 3 Soft and Rigotti 3M. Those just happen to be the reeds that were in rotation and they work well. I also had some RSH 2 Hard and Rigotti 3L, but prefer the slightly stronger reeds.

I have several boxes (cans) of DC 2.5/3 in the ol' reed shoe box, and will try some soon.
Dr. G - Based on reading your post, I'm playing...and loving...my Intrepid 7 with Rigotti Gold 3s (I think it is the L version; I've had them around for a while).

#38 ·

Just got myself a 7* intrepid. I get to the tone / soud I like very easy on this piece. But what strikes me most is that all of a sudden I can articulate a lot faster. The tone is immediatly there , right after the attack. And it's even over the whole range of the tenor. Surprisingly I find the 7* easier to play then my link 7. It is quite freeblowing but still has enough to push against. Very clean , direct sound. I like it a lot.. it's a keeper. Very well made piece.

#41 ·

I really appreciate all the comments. The Intrepid is really a piece I enjoy. It takes a lot of work to produce but it's worth it. It helps me push my craft. That in itself helps all the other pieces improve too. It's been well over a decade making pieces but there is always more to learn and skills to hone. There are also many ways to shape sound from a mouthpiece.

#47 ·
Thanks ..... still figuring out what I wanna be when I grow up. :)

Btw- the setup on that clip was a 1936 Conn 10M, Jazz Select 3 Hard Filed reed, and a solid silver Ishimori ligature. I played a rock gig on this setup last night and it was smoking! This setup sounds huge through a sound system .... tons of core and not overly bright but still with some nice cut and pop to the sound. Great altissimo too .... easier and more locked in than with the larger tip I tried before. Reed felt a little soft the more I got the airstream thing figured out, so will play around with slightly harder reeds as well.

#48 ·
David also played the original prototype.

The Prototype went though many process and steps the Intrepid does not. It not surprising that it was a little more tempermental than the final version.

It takes some time to dial in exactly what needs to happen to a piece in order get optimum results.

#49 ·
#54 ·
Yeah, I hear you. David Wells sounds good on everything he plays. I don't have any clips yet, but I do have an Intrepid that Phil made for me. It measures 100 and the sound is huge. Pretty much as described by Dr. G and David. Lots of core, just the right amount of resistance, fast response.

#56 ·
I really like the resistance on this piece ..... I feel like it blows freely and is very responsive top to bottom, but initially I felt like I needed to "push" the air a bit more forcefully than on some other pieces I've played. I like that feeling and have even gone up in reed strength to get more of it. IMO the reward is a sound that is incredibly huge and complex, but not really spread and definitely not tubby or dead sounding.

Here's a clip I did today at home for the Tune of The Month .... this is a .098 with a Jazz Select 4M Filed reed. Still feels comfortable and easy to control even with a really hard reed.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13589452

#58 ·
I've had my Intrepid for a couple of weeks now and it is fantastic! The first thing that struck me was that it was extremely easy to play/articulate, but I wasn't able to draw out it's true potential at first. I hadn't been able to play my tenor for a couple weeks prior to receiving the piece, and kind of felt pigeon holed to a fuzzy, spread and subdued sound. Doubt started to creep in.... should I have ordered the Sapphire?? Sure enough, each day it seemed I was able get twice as much out of the Intrepid. I took it to a big band rehearsal last night and got loads of complements.

#59 ·
Phil,

My Intrepid just keeps getting better! I don’t know what it was, but last night as I was playing a tenor feature with my big band, I discovered a whole ‘nother layer in it. The arrangement of “Our Love is Here to Stay” by Sammy Nestico is a beautiful piece that explores the dynamic range of the soloist as well as the band, and your Intrepid really excelled. What was especially interesting in my experience last night was getting the grit at low volumes and staying super clean and pure in the palm keys at high volume - the antithesis of the usual response that I’ve found in other pieces. Anyhow, this drew me to new place in my solo, and I really dug it. Others heard it too, because I drew the most positive comments during the break and after the gig from band mates and audience alike. “Nailed it” - this from a trombone player that I’ve worked with for 20 years. It really touched me.

Thanks for being a part of a beautiful evening.

P.S. for the gear heads: Borgani Jubilee silver pearl OBT, Phil-Tone Intrepid 7*, Rigotti 3M, Francois Louis Ultimate lig, and Just Joe’s Gel strap providing non-slip comfort.

#60 ·
Here's a review from Alex Munte (https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...d-is-AMAZING!!&p=3752298&posted=1#post3752298)

You guys, I just got the Phil-Tone Intrepid for tenor and it's very definitely the most AMAZING piece I have ever played! Phil is a genius!

I want to briefly share my thoughts on this piece. I never did this kind of review up until now - I feel it really deserves to be shared, because this Intrepid is just incredible! For me it blew all the pieces away in every aspect. Not to take anything from anyone, but in my opinion this is something else.

It's very thick, free blowing with an extremely colorful voice - responding very efficiently to any embouchure/air/throat change, dark but with a bit of sizzle and projection without ever becoming harsh! I went from a websterish/youngish subtone ballad kind of thing to free screaming multiphonics a la Ayler/ D.S. Ware and this piece just follows along. It's got very consistent frequencies throughout the range which I believe allows for a natural/vocal quality of the sound.

I want to take a moment to recommend Phil Tone's work and the Phil Tone Intrepid in particular. Not to mention he responds very! fast to any inquiry and I felt he really followed my wishes when crafting the piece. He really listens! Phew, I'm excited! Tomorrow I'll have a recording session and I can't wait to play it, perhaps I'll post an excerpt here.

Anyway...Thank you very much Phil, I would like to shake your hand, Sir.

I'm really curious...who else tried this piece or plays one today?

Take care everybody!

#61 ·
My repertoire for the past year has been playing jazz standards in a small combo with other horns. The sound concept I'm striving for is a "Turrentinesque" kind of vibe, full, round but with a touch of edge and brightness. That's the way I think of Stanley Turrentine's tone, anyway. I read some reviews about the Intrepid that it has that full Link-style tone with some edge and projection, so I contacted Phil about what I was looking for. (BTW, it took less than a week to get to me in the States from France.)

I *really* like this mouthpiece, and it works well for the standards I'm playing. Provides a strong presence but not too bright; still round and full, just fills the cafe room where I play. I can play subtony and laid back on something like "Days of Wine and Roses"; and brighter on a Turrentine tune like "Blues in the Closet". Others we play are an up-tempo version of "Caravan", "Recordame", "Alice in Wonderland", and "Crazeology" among others. When I play on the Intrepid, I find that I really don't have to think about my set-up and can focus on the music...it is responsive to articulation and I can make the tone darker or brighter without thinking about it too hard.

Equipment: On a Reference 36 with no high F#, Rigotti 3 Lights and Java Green 3's....I like the Java's the best. A very pleasant surprise is how easy altissimo pops out on the .105 tip opening. I find altissimo harder to do on the Ref 36 vice my YTS-82ZU, and especially with a Link-style mouthpiece. Until I got my Intrepid. :)

Bottom line, the Intrepid is a superb mouthpiece and is what I'm using for my jazz combo. And Phil is terrific to work with, this is the second mouthpiece that I purchased from him since 2014 when I bought a Rift for alto. If you are looking for a piece and want it nuanced to a specific tone/vibe, it is well worth your while to contact Phil and work with him.

Great mouthpiece Phil!

#62 ·
A month ago Phil was kind enough to let me trial the Intrepid. I have read lots of positive things about it and during the years I have learnt not to read all the rave reviews of gear as facts that stands true to my definition of a "killer", "amazing" "apex" or whatever attributes people use for their adverts when selling gear.

The intrepid is a great all-rounder, I look for a 1mpc does it all and this piece can do many styles and is flexible. It has fast articulation and a deep rich sound. I look for a "textured" tone or , complex if you want. Then intrepid has that together with the warmth of a great hr mouthpiece. I like playing Hemke 3.5 on this piece.

I play on a rs Berkeley Chris Potter mouthpiece but the intrepid is the best HR piece that I have came across so far so I bought it!

Congrats to Phil for creating such a great piece!

Have a listen to it:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.